✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Matt Damon: 'Barack Obama broke up with me'

The movie star added that the pair "no longer see eye to eye," and that Mr Obama has "some explaining to do," particularly on the issues of drone strikes and fugitive National Security Agency leaker Edward Snowden.

The comments were the latest in a series of swipes from the "Bourne Identity" star which have highlighted an undercurrent of disillusionment with the president among some of his more liberal backers in the entertainment industry.

Damon, in an interview with Black Entertainment Television, was asked how he felt Mr Obama was doing in his second term, and replied: "He broke up with me. There are a lot of things that I really question. The legality of the drone strikes, these NSA revelations, are like, you know... Jimmy Carter came out and said we don’t live in a democracy. That’s a little intense when an ex-president says that.

"So, you know, he’s got some explaining to do, particularly for a constitutional law professor.”

The campaigning actor's criticism of Mr Obama began in his first term when Damon said that "a one-term president with some balls who actually got stuff done" might have been preferable.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/10234837/Matt-Damon-Barack-Obama-broke-up-with-me.html