✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Music in General

Coldplayfan1294

I guess I'll throw this in this board because I think it is most applicable here. I am a novice musician. I play piano, and I really enjoy playing, and I have a loooooooooooooooooong way to go in my journey before I am ever that great at it. Though I am proud of where I came from -- I started at 18, and I am proud to say I can play most Coldplay songs as they were played on the albums. Though this isn't really about Coldplay as it is about music in general.

I just recently roughly finished learning "Your Song" by Sir Elton John on piano, and I was discussing with a friend of mine how great Elton John's music is. And I brought up the fact that I was proud to have learned my first Elton John song, and he pointed out that it was nothing but 3-5 chords and how it's more simplistic in nature. I don't take that as a slight to my piano playing abilities at all haha because I will be the first to admit I suck more than I do anything else that great, but I hate this notion that floats around in the music world that songs have to be complex for them to be worthy of high regard.

Some of the best damn songs I have ever heard on this planet are more simplistic in nature, such as "Your Song" such as "The Scientist" such as "Clocks" such as "Politik." In fact, most of Coldplay songs are built around basic chords that mesh incredibly well together. "Fix You" is another one. How about Louie Armstrong's "Wonderful World" -- the list goes on.

I personally like clean music that is well structured with chords that flow effortlessly into others. I don't like music that jumps, skips, and stutters into different places every 10 seconds. This is probably why I like Coldplay's style so much, and the same as Elton John or other musicians who CAN make beautiful songs through simple chords.

I wish this ridiculous notion would just go away. Songs do NOT have to be complex to be good. At all.