✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

12 Coldplay Months Of 2013: August (About to explode – but not just yet)

suzanafg

August (About to explode – but not just yet)

As far as Atlas was concerned, August was a month of highs and lows for Coldplayers, as the song was announced, only to have its release date delayed in a few days. As we will see tomorrow though, excitement reached a new high when the song was finally released. But before we get to that, let us remember some events in August.

Tinie Tempah on receiving music advice from Chris Martin

When GQ (August 7th interview) asked him why there was a three-year gap between his last two albums, Tinie Tempah said he got the idea from our own Chris Martin:

Chris Martin told me, ‘When you finish an album, write a couple more songs and see what comes out’. So that's exactly what I did. At the end of the day, it's art. Nobody ever rushes a painter, or writer. No one's rushing JK Rowling or EL James!

Well, that might explain some things in Coldplay too… (:P)

Guy featuring in a Hudson Hank video (+ two CM tweets)

On August 15th, the band Hudson Hank uploaded a video into their YouTube channel featuring Guy Berryman. Guy produced the band’s debut album, DayBreak, which would be released a month later. Watch Guy talking to Sam Oats, Hudson Hank’s songwriter and arranger:

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7BmHID4R6k[/ame]

While we’re on the music zone, two August tweets worth mentioning are those below, in which CM shared his latest favourites at that point:

today i found two songs i love. one is 'shake it to the ground' by dj blaqstarr... (x)

the other song is the wonderful 'moving' by Travis, a band that were very good to us when we were starting out. CM (x)

Happy birthday, Phil!

Just as July wraps up in festive fashion with Will’s birthday, August comes to an end in great style by celebrating Phil Harvey’s birthday.

30xajk9.jpg

I’ll carry your world: Coldplay announce Atlas

But we certainly couldn’t finish an August review without going through the major event of the month, the announcement that Coldplay were to feature in the Catching Fire soundtrack.

On August 9th, it was announced via twitter and Coldplay.com that the band would release Atlas on August 26th as part of the OST of the second part of The Hunger Games series.

aratherlovelyatlasdoodlefromcm.png

New song, Atlas, for The Hunger Games: Catching Fire soundtrack

Good afternoon. It's been announced today that a new Coldplay song, Atlas, will feature on the official soundtrack for the forthcoming film, The Hunger Games: Catching Fire.

Atlas is scheduled to be available via iTunes and all digital retailers on 26 August, 2013. The film is due for release on 22 November, 2013.

A bit earlier that day, CM tweeted the handwritten lyrics of the song:

#Atlas CM pic.twitter.com/7KIiTvP1tt

33njivb.jpg

Without a new release since Mylo Xyloto came out around two years ago, the news of a fresh song was undoubtedly very well received within the fanbase. Relive the discussion here.

In the same extent, expectations were high among the people involved in the film production. Francis Lawrence, Catching Fire’s director commented:

I have great respect and admiration for Coldplay, and we are thrilled with how well they have connected to the themes and ideas within the film. Their unwavering passion and excitement for the project elevated the collaboration even further, and we can't wait to share this music with audiences around the world. (x)

Tracy McKnight, Head of Film Music at Lionsgate, the entertainment company behind the movie:

We are so honored that Coldplay, one of the iconic rock bands of our generation, will perform the first song out on the new soundtrack. Knowing that Chris Martin is a fan of the books makes this even more meaningful. The Coldplay single underscores the stature of recording artists we've assembled for this powerful soundtrack. (x)

However, on August 22nd, a few days prior to Atlas release, initially set at August 26th, it was announced via twitter that the release would actually be delayed until September 6th – 8th in the UK. It goes without saying that the original excitement of the first announcemente was replaced by overall disappointement.

Nevertheless, August 26th wasn’t an entirely uneventful day, for the cover art for Atlas was unveiled (x):

vfi1u.jpg

All in all, August was quite an exciting month for us Coldplayers, given the prospect of hearing a brand new song from our favourite band after so much time without a new release. Due to the reschedule though we could only know whether or not these expectations were fulfilled in September, when Atlas finally saw the light of day.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the reviews!

Ah, I remember Atlas' announcement :awesome:

I was on holidays with my family, we came back from the beach, I checked Twitter and FREAKED OUT! :lol: I had missed the news by a few hours or so and Macky actually wondered what the hell I was doing :lol::lol: