✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Could GS be the most "Coldplay-ish" Coldplay Album

Kingzilla

As someone who has not been following Coldplay's career with intense scrutiny, I tend to view GS as simply a reaction/rebellion against their last three albums- XY, VLV, MX- which were grandiose, arty, big productions with intricate arrangements that sounded downright cacophonic at times. What's striking about these preliminary GS tracks is that they are so spare and sound downright unfinished at times. The stark, muted visual campaign is also a complete 180° from the brash neon colors of their last album. In some ways, they could be accused of jumping on that atmospheric-hipster bandwagon alongside the likes of Bon Iver and Frank Ocean. And there even seems to be the vague thump of EDM in the mix too. But any way you slice it, I consider the new CP sound to be a big step forward that also pays homage to the "classic" CP sound of their early EPs and albums.

Guest howyousawtheworld
it's weird for a band as massive as coldplay to release a song like Midnight, this feels like 1999/2000 again, after Ok Computer no one expected something like Kid A, Radiohead at that time was like Coldplay, they had big big hits, but they got tired of it and they dropped Kid A. But Coldplay are not tired of their popularity, maybe one day they will, but for now they are fine to accept their mainstream status as long as their chemistry and values remain true

I agree. They definitely aren't tired of their job. Radiohead see themselves as artists but Coldplay put great emphasis (and I say great in every sense possible) on being entertainers. Snobs will dismiss the idea of flashing wristbands, fireworks and confetti. Indeed they dismiss the very idea of creating a universal hook which can get everyone singing along which is abhorrent. Many acts will receive and work towards a 5 star rating for their album releases but few will feel the adoration and delight of 60,000 fans in one place. The great thing is that the band clearly appreciate it. I've never seen a more grateful and humble band perform on that scale. That's why they do it better than almost everyone else.