✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Ghost Stories : How much will it sell in the first week? + previous album stats

Sparky

New article on coldplaying.com with stats from previous albums and a preview for the sales of Ghost Stories, big thanks to Mackplay for the Ghost Stories single figures :)

http://www.coldplaying.com/coldplay-album-sales/

VLVODAAHF first week sales : UK = 302,074 (this was only 3 days, Thursday release) US = over 700,000

Mylo Xyloto first week sales : UK = 208,090 US = 447,000

Album sales have declined even more greatly since 2011 and Mylo Xyloto was released in the busiest quarter of the year. However, pre-orders for Ghost Stories have been huge as we have seen during the release of Midnight and ASFOS and there is always a band or artist that breaks the mould and has a mega successful album regardless of the sales climate. Last one was Adele with 21 and that was produced by Paul Epworth funnily enough!

Music forum experts are predicting around 150-160k in the UK and 350-400k in the US.

Your predictions?

I think that estimate sounds about right for the US, though you never know, they could match MX opening week figures.

Album sales have changed even from last year (down roughly 15% thanks to streaming) which is having an impact across the board. I think Coldplay does have a lot going for it though. They have always been a strong seller, there's been some good promotion (iTunes banner, Target ad), Chris being on The Voice, etc...and of course the break-up is a factor too. I think Ghost Stories could have a bigger opening than MX, but then fall down the charts faster. As the digital market gains each year second week drop offs are becoming bigger due to larger pre-orders.

Who knows...I could be completely surprised too :)

Luckily since the band is a good album seller relative to everyone else, the band has nothing to worry about.