✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Coldplay have come a full circle

nvdmm

After being away from the forum and the band for a long while I thought I should share with you guys where I believe the band stands. “Oldplayers”, if any of them are left, are well aware of what I think about the band’s output over the past 20 years so I don’t want to get into a tedious long discussion about any of that. I’ve been thinking constantly about how it could have turned out and how it actually did, and struggling to understand or accept it. But these past few months I tried to fathom their actions by putting myself in Chris’s shoes; and the element that was always present in my conclusions was the circle.

From the very first days when fans started to take notice of the circle speculation has been rife about what it means and how we should interpret it. But by studying their creations since X&Y and properly analyzing what Chris has said written or spoken I think he has always wanted to ultimately create a full circle, meaning a whole body of work ranging from pure rock to alternative, pop, R&B, electronic and rap. And that is exactly what they’ve achieved, surpassing any other band in history in terms of sheer diversity and contrast in their output. Whether I think this will turn out to be a great strategy or not is irrelevant. Excluding for the first two albums the band really don’t care about what their fans or anyone for that matter thinks about their music. Chris is the main drive and director/dictator in the band and his idea of doing something that’s never been done before by having 7 albums full of songs that cover all genres and tastes has come to fruition. Unfortunately for the band he didn’t try to do the same with subject matters and themes so Coldplay will forever be described as the band who wrote stadium ballads you could dance/cry to.

Chris in particular has recently been very vocal about how he thinks they’ve now completed their journey (circle) and have said all they’ve had to say to the world. The band also stress they don’t necessarily have any desire or intention to continue and also the fact they really don’t know what to do anymore.

To conclude, at this point the band have two options: a long hiatus or calling it quits.

Ever since the Viva tour and after every album I’ve constantly said the band need to go on an extended hiatus but they didn't. That was until AHFOD was released. I now seriously believe they need to end, UNLESS the band dynamics and songwriting procedures and generally how they make music and operate change drastically.

But what do YOU think? Where do you see Coldplay in the next 10 years?

• Like 2

good to see you back on the forums! :D

this is very interesting for sure... i've always had this feeling, even many years ago before Chris started saying that where they are now is where they always wanted to reach as a band, that whatever drives them to produce the content they've produced has been there since the beginning. a band in their early 20s with a song called Bigger Stronger is never going to stop as long as there's more for them to do. :P

but i don't believe any of them when they now say they don't know what they'll do next - or, at least, i don't think they'll stop. it might make sense for them to take a break of sorts after the current tour ends, but they'll find more to do, more music to make and explore (especially Chris, that guy can't stop moving). they still have so much going for them, no matter if we like those things or not... and i think they are creative enough to be able to figure out how to keep changing things up

where exactly might they be in ten years? i can't say for sure... and i think that's a good thing. also i don't want to think about ten years from now :uhoh:

maybe they'll all just become gardeners now :lol:

• Like 3

i don't think the band will ever break up. they will definitely take a break after this tour but they WILL be back. this is not something im saying because i want them to (i do though) but because i just don't think that chris is capable of stopping music. even now he is still working on small projects here and there. i think the rest of the band shares the same sentiment, like jonny once said, they have never been anything else than coldplay.

regarding the type of music they'll be producing, i will never be sure where coldplay wants to go musically but one thing is for sure, they'll never stick to one thing. they stopped caring what the critics or fans had to say about the type of music they were producing a long time ago. they refuse to repeat the same formula of parachutes or AROBTTH or any other album they have put out. For the music that they will put out after AHFOD, we might like it or hate it but it will never be like their previous records and im ok with that.

• Like 1

In my recent coldplay philosophizing, I have often thought about this topic. In my opinion, Coldplay have managed to make an album that highlights the main emotions of human life. I get what Chris means when he says he has 'said everything.'

Coldplay have made albums about passion, insecurity, urgency, confusion, uncertainty, certainty, regret, sadness, lonliness, togetherness, rebellion, war, triumph, opression, breakups, heartbreak, happiness, and love.

What more is there to say?

• Like 4

In my recent coldplay philosophizing, I have often thought about this topic. In my opinion, Coldplay have managed to make an album that highlights the main emotions of human life. I get what Chris means when he says he has 'said everything.'

Coldplay have made albums about passion, insecurity, urgency, confusion, uncertainty, certainty, regret, sadness, lonliness, togetherness, rebellion, war, triumph, opression, breakups, heartbreak, happiness, and love.

so what you mean is

they should do a fully instrumental album next :sneaky:

Don't forget to add pregnancy and deodorant [emoji14]

But seriously, I can copy what you all have said: They'll probably have a long hiatus after this tour (maybe with some collaborations), but there's no way they'll break up or stop making music.

• Like 1