✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

300 years of "independence" in Gibraltar

Ambergris

Well, if u don't know Gibraltar is a big rock in Spain but actually it's a part of the UK. Here the problem, because the britons took the place long time ago and illegally when Spain was in a war against France.

The thing is that there's been some problems between the governments of both countries (Spain and Britain) because the United Nations (UN) said that the territory belongs to the Iberian country (Spain) but in a voting of people that actually lives in the rock voted to be at British domain. In fact, Gibraltar defiantly celebrated 300 years of British ownership yesterday, casting aside a barrage of protests from the Spanish government.

Anyway I think it's really interesting, if u want to know more about the situation in Gibraltar go to the nearest library from ur home :P :lol:

Or go to http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2004/08/05/wgib05.xml&sSheet=/news/2004/08/05/ixworld.html

Ok, what do u think about it??

I laughed my ass off yesterday when I read about this, Spain were declaring that a bayonetted march was a hostile act to Spain and the EU...roflmao...I'm glad we went through with it, and didn't bow to any pressure...the people from Gibraltar have said numerous times in vote that they are unanimously in favour of staying British...

No sympathy for Spain here, their left wing government pulled out of Iraq leaving Polish Soldiers there to fend for themselves..Poland is part of the EU now, isn't that a hostile act on another EU member country too? 300 years have passed since Gibraltar became part of the UK, 500 years have passed since the Spanish launched an armada against us...we've forgotten that, or should we now try to pursue war crimes against them?

Btw Spain wasn't in a war with France, they were allied to France and Bavaria against Britain, Austria, Holland, Portugal and Denmark. We took the rock during the Spanish War of Succession...so it was wartime, and that's how we obtained it...seems fair enough considering the war started because the Spanish broke their word in the partition treaty of 1700...should the US give back the country to the Native Americans they conquered? Should the Spanish relinquish much of South America they took by force from the Incas, Aztecs and Mayans?

Here's the history of Gibraltar

http://www.gibraltar2004.gov.gi/history.html

i've been there and i have to say it is kinda weird. it feels like your in spain but the currency is the pound and the shops are typically british. however the spanish police on the border have been known to be a little, shall we say, temperamental. they can hold up queues for hours on a whim because they feel like being difficult. i don't know, i think things should be left how they are because the people of gibraltar feel british and want to stay british. it's really just about pride for the two governments, it's a part of both countries and neither are willing to budge on the issue.

It's normal that people from Gibraltar wanna remain british, they've been british since they were born!

And who would like to be spanish knowing the retarded and stupid goverments we've had? :dozey:

Anyways, it's weird that just a little territory in Spain has the british essence.

But, meeeh, we also have Ceuta and Melilla and they're in Africa. So, it's the same situation...

No sympathy for Spain here' date=' their left wing government pulled out of Iraq leaving Polish Soldiers there to fend for themselves..Poland is part of the EU now, isn't that a hostile act on another EU member country too?[/quote']

I prefer this one that fight in a stupid nonsense war which started just for money and just for lick Bush's ass... :dozey:

Oh yeah, the spanish war of succession. You are right, Britain got Gibraltar as a colony in the Treaty of Utrecht. That was about 300 years ago and it's obvious that people living in the rock feel comfortable at British domain, I'm not saying that Britain should return Gibraltar to the Spanish Government It's just that the rock belonged to Spain since human story exists and the people that lived there have developed an own culture proper of Spain an own story (We all know the importance of the Strait of Gibraltar as an entry to the mediterranean sea) and Spaniards don't feel good about Britain Presence at the rock.

Yes I've been there and it really feels so Hispanic. Looks like Gibraltar means for the U.K just a memory of its past as a World power

But, meeeh, we also have Ceuta and Melilla and they're in Africa. So, it's the same situation...

Nobody complaint about it !! :rolleyes:

Who knows? Maybe the Morocco goverment? But heeeh, it's Africa, it's not the same as England eh?

Nobody complaint about it !! :rolleyes:

Who knows? Maybe the Morocco goverment? But heeeh, it's Africa, it's not the same as England eh?

Wellks, how far are Spain and Northern Africa?? not the same because those cities are practically at Spain, not like Britain with Gibraltar so far as an isolated colony. Even Ceuta and Melilla belong to Spain because of its Islamic past when Moors (Of Morocco) invaded the Iberian peninsula long time ago... :) :rolleyes: The same with Canary islands I think

No sympathy for Spain here, their left wing government pulled out of Iraq leaving Polish Soldiers there to fend for themselves..Poland is part of the EU now, isn't that a hostile act on another EU member country too?

yeah i heard about this

didnt the phillipines pull out because some terrorists were going to execute 1 truck driver?

ridiculous

terrorists are just big bullies looking for some lunch money

No sympathy for Spain here, their left wing government pulled out of Iraq leaving Polish Soldiers there to fend for themselves..Poland is part of the EU now, isn't that a hostile act on another EU member country too?

No :rolleyes:

500 years have passed since the Spanish launched an armada against us...

Oh yeah, I really like that story... it's interesting how the invincible armada launched by Philip II of Spain against England finished as a completely disaster first because the Armada couldn't win against English navy finishing completely destroyed at the bad weather in Northern Atlantic ocean...

The English had made two attempts to intercept the Armada in Iberian waters in June and July, only to be blown back by storms. Now somewhat sceptical themselves, their fleet of sixty-six ships was caught by surprise re-supplying in Plymouth when the Armada appeared. Although they were able to escape from Plymouth successfully, they were faced with a stern chase up the Channel. Much ammunition was expended, but the Spanish formation held together well, and only two ships were lost, both by accidents. The Spanish admiral, the duke of Medina Sidonia, then took the unexpected decision to anchor off Calais on 6 August. This enabled the English to disperse his fleet by a fireship attack and strong winds blew it into the North Sea. Four Spanish ships were lost at this point, but the great majority escaped northwards. However, there was now no alternative to the risky voyage home round Scotland and Ireland. In the course of this a further thirty-four or five ships -mostly weaker-built transports - foundered or ran aground.

that appears to be what happened, so nearly right about blowing them up in dock