✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Coldplay to Remake Band Aid

busybeeburns

Coldplay, The Darkness and Travis are set to re-record Band Aid’s hit single — to raise millions for Africa’s new victims of famine.

Frontmen Chris Martin, Justin Hawkins and Fran Healy have told Sir Bob Geldof and Midge Ure they will drop everything to make the charity track. Now Midge and Sir Bob are talking to Noel Gallagher, Robbie Williams, Jamelia, Blur and Dido about joining the stellar Band Aid III line-up.

Do They Know It’s Christmas? 2004 will be recorded in the next few weeks. The song is already odds-on favourite at bookies to be Christmas No1. Midge Ure, 51, is masterminding the third Band Aid line-up — backed by Geldof.

Chris Martin, 27, has told Midge: "I’m really up for it. I’m in the middle of recording a Coldplay album but I’ll be anywhere you want me to and sing a couple of lines."

Midge and Geldof co-wrote the original in 1984 with legends including U2 and George Michael helping to raise £8million for Ethiopia.The pair teamed up again for Live Aid a year later and once more in 1989 for Band Aid II with acts like Rick Astley.

Last night Midge told The Sun: "It’s definitely going to happen. I’m very excited. This project is not just about raising money. It’s about putting the focus back on Africa and the problem of famine which has not gone away. The line-up proves that this country is brimming with talent and the big names approached seem very keen."

"Chris Martin actually contacted me. He reminds me of a young Bono. The great thing is we have real musicians in proper bands. Things are really snowballing. What’s frightening though is most of them were in nappies first time around!"

Travis star Fran Healy said: "This is a fantastic idea. I will be anywhere they want me to be at any time and I will cancel any engagement to take part."

Sir Bob, 53, added: "The money will be critical. There are severe famine conditions now and it will get worse in the next couple of months."

The single — with the original track on the B-side — comes as TWICE as many Ethiopians are starving now as in 1984. And Sudan’s Darfur region faces an “unprecedented food crisis”, according to the Red Cross yesterday. Tony Blair has demanded an end to genocide by warlords left unchecked by the government.

http://www.coldplaying.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=265&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0