✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Tunings

kimberlina

OK please tell me if this is a stupid question...!

Right. Ive been playing the guitar for about a month and after playing various songs on a standard tuning i now want to play other stuff with different tuning ie coldplay's stuff, lots of which seems to be on alternative tuning! :) i understand that u do this by adjusting the strings to the different notes, i have a pretty standard automatic guitar tuner, is it possible to tune the guitar using this or do i need a different sort of tuner or is there another way around it?

Any advice from more seasoned players would be very appreciated! :guitarist:

You need a chromatic tuner (which can tune to any note, not just the five on your guitar) or a piano, or just some knowledge of what notes you're looking for (assuming you have a good enough ear). Like, for instance, if you want to tune your 1st string to a D#, just tune it to the fourth fret of the 2nd string. :D

Hope that helps some. I know I didn't go into a whole lot of detail.

Well do you want Open D Tuning? If so, follow my crappy instructions...

ok, if you know where D string is, hit it (if not, it's the 2nd thinnest coiled string, next to G). Now tune down the lower E string until it sounds EXACTLY the same as D. Now place your finger on the 3rd fret (correct me if I'm wrong) of D and tune down G so it sounds exactly like the 3rd fret of D. Now hit the string you tuned down first (lower E string) and hit it, and make sure the upper E-string sounds exactly the same as the lower E string. And then I just hit E and B and make them sound good...not sure how to do it correctly but those atre my crappy unclear instructions.

you could try tuning from the other strings on the guitar but it does get me in a pickle sometimes! exampl if u want bottom E to become Eb tune it to match the 3rd fret on the B string! think thats correct. :confused: