✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

X&Y: Rolling Stone review

Dragonfave

Coldplay

X&Y

*** (three stars)

Originally released: 2005

Capitol Records Inc.

Coldplay didn't seem destined for bigness. Their 2000 debut, Parachutes, was full of drizzly but pretty rock ballads that were almost memorable enough to prevent American listeners from confusing the band with Travis. Of course, that album also included a huge, soaring song called "Yellow," which may well be inspiring a drunken singalong in your local bar as you read this.

"Yellow" was a smash, but what came next was even smashier. In 2002, Coldplay released A Rush of Blood to the Head, which perfectly captured the heady feeling of a small band acting big. The band's sad-sack frontman, Chris Martin, transformed himself with so much swagger and so many hooks that even 50 Cent had to pay tribute, turning Martin's ambivalent lyric into a greasy boast: "God gave me style, God gave me grace." The rest of the band supplied Martin with propulsive rhythms, giving their newly pushy leader something to pull against, and the songs were even better; the band had mastered the art of writing graceful ballads that were both deceptively simple and fiendishly hard to dislodge from the human brain.

Since then, Martin has become a worldwide rock star, for better and for worse. He has a wife named Gwyneth and a baby named Apple, who just turned one, and who probably already knows what "paparazzi" means. On the other hand, Martin's newfound notoriety has meant more exposure for his favorite causes, such as fair trade. Compared to all the hubbub about Chris Martin the celebrity, his band's return to the American pop charts was a bit of a letdown. Coldplay began the campaign for X&Y with "Speed of Sound," an appealing but not thrilling song (it sounds a bit like Rush of Blood's "Clocks" but without the swagger). Whereas Rush of Blood was a nervy bid for bigness, X&Y is something less exciting. It's the serious sound of Martin trying to sing songs that match his stature. It's the sound of a blown-up band trying not to deflate.

Like the previous one, this album starts in outer space. Last time, there were those roiling piano chords of "Politik" and an audacious opening: "Look at Earth from outer space/Everyone must find a place." This time there's an atmospheric hum, and Martin murmurs, "The future's for discoverin'/The space in which we're travelin'." Drummer Will Champion enters with a tense rhythm, Guy Berryman adds one of those hurtling- forward bass lines, and Jonny Buckland doubles it with a skinny guitar line -- there's plenty to listen to, but not a lot to love. Luckily, this album contains its share of lovely ballads that sound, well, Coldplay-ish: Thanks to Keane and other imitators, Coldplay's name has become an adjective. One of the best is "Fix You," an unabashedly sentimental song where Martin delivers words of encouragement in a gentle falsetto. "Lights will guide you home/And ignite your bones/And I will try to fix you," he sings, proving once more that no band can deliver a stately rock ballad like this one. And although "Twisted Logic" may be an obvious Radiohead rip-off (with a title that sounds alarmingly Fred Durst-ish), the members find ways to build suspense while progressing toward that inevitable crashing climax.

Still, a surprising number of songs here just never take flight, from "The Hardest Part" (which actually gets less catchy as it goes along) to "A Message," which might actually be too Coldplay-ish: "My song is love," Martin announces, and you might find yourself wishing it weren't. Martin has talked about how hard he worked on this album, and it shows: Nothing on it sounds easy -- maybe 50 Cent made off with a little bit of his style and grace. X&Y does find ways to reward persistent listeners, especially those who make it all the way past the end to the bonus track, "Till Kingdom Come," which is the most casual thing on the album (it starts with Martin counting) and maybe the best. "I don't know which way I'm going/I don't know which way I've come," he sings, accompanied by little more than an acoustic guitar, and after what's come before, it's an unexpected delight to hear him sound so small again.

KELEFA SANNEH

Posted on another thread here but thanks.

I really dislike this review because the reviewer gives no credit for coldplay atleast producing a good(in her eyes) album having to deal with the enormous stress of having to try to top parachutes and arobtth. Her take on A Message is laughable as is her take on The Hardest Part which does get much better with repeated listenings. Sounds like she wrote this review after a bad hangover. I wish Rob Shefield had reviewed it instead of her. He is my preferred reviewer for the magazine. He gave The White Stipes New release 4 1/2 stars. Damn.

dislike... i bet he wasn't expecting another great album from coldplay. this review looks "forced" to be against.. counter. don't know what's wrong with x&y and still don't understand people who disliked the album.

what's the deal in expecting another parachutes or AROBTTH? i find x&y a lot different from what coldplay usually does and its still the same band being great and brave!

what's the deal in expecting another parachutes or AROBTTH? i find x&y a lot different from what coldplay usually does and its still the same band being great and brave!

I agree with that, it's one of their goals to make a different album everytime :)

the reviewer obviously came in expecting parachutes era coldplay and perhaps a rehash of arobtth. i respect coldplay for not standing still and i love the new album. but before we all go nuts about them only giving x&y 3 stars, we must remember that nme gave it a 9 out of 10 and blender gave it 5 stars, proclaiming "coldplay have their masterpiece". so far this poopy review is the odd man out :)

Sorry guys, but it looks like someone is finally seeing past the hype and seeing sense.

The trouble is that X&Y is just Coldplay by the numbers, it has no emotion to it, where did it all go since AROBTTH???

Sorry guys, but it looks like someone is finally seeing past the hype and seeing sense.

The trouble is that X&Y is just Coldplay by the numbers, it has no emotion to it, where did it all go since AROBTTH???

Same old hat and story from you hugh X&Y??

You bring nothing new to the table!!

Wouldn't 'Coldplay by the numbers' be a repetition of AROBTTH or Parachutes? Say what you want about the album, good or bad, but I don't believe it's Coldplay by the numbers. Their success or failure in this album is based on their willingness to expand beyond their comfort zone.

-Miggy

Wouldn't 'Coldplay by the numbers' be a repetition of AROBTTH or Parachutes? Say what you want about the album, good or bad, but I don't believe it's Coldplay by the numbers. Their success or failure in this album is based on their willingness to expand beyond their comfort zone.

-Miggy

X&Y is a troll. He never ever backs up his bullshit claims about coldplay.

-Miggy

X&Y is a troll. He never ever backs up his bullshit claims about coldplay.

Erm.... what? yes, I have, I have stated many times that in my Opinion the lryics are bad except for maybe Fix You, has lovely lyrics, which is then ruined by Chris Martin not having the range in his voice to be able to hit the high notes without sounding squeeky and grinding.

The songs mostly blend into each other for the reason of they sound too similar most of the time.

Starting with Chris singing quietly, then picking up into the chorus before fading out with with just his voice to minimal music, heard it all before on AROBTTH.

I`m listening to it as I type in a vain attempt to get it to grow on me, Fix You has just come on, and his voice is just out of tune and too high pitched to do the lyrics justice.

I want to like it, unfortunatly, I can`t, it`s substandard in my Opinion.

The album is is just average to me, and it seems to other people, whcih I say fair enough.

Not everyone likes the same music, christ, enough people slagged of Don`t Believe The Truth, but I think it`s great, others don`t, that`s up to them.

Calling my opinion bullshit because it doesn`t conform to your s is extremely norrow minded and short sighted.

I like Coldplay, AROBTTH is one of the greatest albums made in the past 5 year, just because I`m dissapointed by the new album and want to voice my opinion makes me a troll does it? Talk`s on now, I like this, one of the 2 good songs on the album.

See, you shouldn`t get offended by opinion of the album, it`s not like im saying the whole band are shit is it? I just don`t believe this new album is up to their standards.

There, is that enough back up for you? Please don`t call my opinion bullshit.

Your comments come off as snide and stiff whenever you post about the new album. And you always have the same old same old to say. I apologize for calling your opinion bullshit it's just the vibe that I pick up from you is that you just say negative shit about the band and then leave for a while. I always get heated and jump off the handle. Chill out man and thanks for the backup :sneaky:

Your comments come off as snide and stiff whenever you post about the new album. And you always have the same old same old to say. I apologize for calling your opinion bullshit it's just the vibe that I pick up from you is that you just say negative shit about the band and then leave for a while. I always get heated and jump off the handle. Chill out man and thanks for the backup :sneaky:

I have never once slagged the band, I am a Coldplay fan, I`m just not a fan of X&Y, sorry mate.

I will buy this album though, if for nothing more than supporting a band who do know how to play their own instruments, can sing live, not manufactured etc.

The last thing we need is a Crazy Frog album hitting No.1

Cool man' date=' and I'm sorry for calling you a troll. Give X&Y a chance to grow on you as a few reviews have said it richly rewards repeated spins :)[/quote']

I am really hoping I can get into it.

Same here - I liked parachutes and love rush of blood, but so far the only song I have gotten into on X&Y is the title track. I am going to give it repeated listens over the course of the next week, and hope that it grows on me. The reason I don't like it so far is simply that the melodies/rhythms aren't engaging enough. I am not much of a lyrics person, so I can't comment on that aspect.

:o

How did you get into Coldplay if you don't pay attention to lyrics in the first place, though? Their music is to be understood, not just listened to. I think, anyway.

Twisted Logic, Low, White Shadows, Fix You, Square One...all have amazing melodies. We often miss things with Coldplay for some reason, just give them time and more listens ;)

Eugh..I hate it when people say things like that as a statement of truth. Shady, Coldplay's strong point is their music ability to you. To others (like myself) the lyrics are nothing less than remarkable.

Just had to let that out. :D

From what I've heard, I'm really starting to like the direction they took X&Y. I'm sure after the reviewer listened to it, it didn't sound like the others so it couldn't be that great. And like some have said, RS isn't always the greatest source for reviews :P .