✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

What do y'all think of this X&Y review ?

Dejan

Since their debut in 2000, Coldplay has created an interesting little musical niche for themselves. Without alienating the mainstream MTV/Clear Channel audience, they have earned a modicum of rock credibility and can apocryphally be considered rockers in the same vein as Pink Floyd. Rather than turn to the Dark Side though, Coldplay has other goals. Making no secret of their desire to be bigger than U2, the English quartet has taken a curious approach towards surpassing their Irish superiors. On their first two albums, Parachutes and A Rush Of Blood To The Head, Coldplay established a distinct sound centered around Chris Martin's simple piano melodies and wispy ethereal lyrics whose earnest sincerity rescued them from the realm of whiney drivel.

The star of this show is clearly Chris Martin, who you may have heard is married to a famous actress and named his baby girl after a popular snacking fruit. (I tell you this as I fear the Martin-Paltrows may not be receiving enough publicity, which would surely be troubling). While Martin doesn't exhibit the technical proficiency of Billy Preston or Steve Winwood, this is not necessarily a negative within the context of Coldplay's repertoire. One need listen no further than the 2002 hit "Clocks" to grasp that the beauty of Coldplay's songs comes from their simplicity. Unfortunately, for their third album, Coldplay strays too far from the formula that works for them.

On X&Y, the songs are cryptically designated into two groups, the X's and the Y's in what appears to be an archaic reference to the sides of an LP. A better designation should have been to mark as X's those spots that bear Coldplay's distinct originality and the Y's for those that make you wonder why this sounds like an ill-conceived U2 imitation.

Fans looking for the bands mix of pleasant melodies with orchestral Beatle-ish arrangements that rely more on Martin's music than his voice will not be disappointed. The signature keyboards on the first single, "Speed Of Sound", as well as "X&Y", "Swallowed By The Sea" and "Talk" make them worthy additions to the Coldplay catalogue. However, when Jonny Buckland attempts the same trick on lead guitar, the songs suffer. On "White Shadows" and "Square One," Buckland attempts to mimic Martin on guitar with little success. The same piercing guitar sound that works for U2 fails for Coldplay because the band simply lacks an edge. (Pun completely intended).

The dirgelike "Kingdom Come" is a valiant effort to close the album out on a solemn note, a la All You Can't Leave Behind's Grace, however Martin does not possess the vocal range to give the song the warmth and emotion it needs.

Even though X & Y contains one too many songs that sound like U2 B-sides, (e.g. "Twisting Logic," "Low"), it would be grossly unfair to characterize the album as a pale imitation of U2. The songs that play to Coldplay's strengths are quite enjoyable and show that Coldplay has the potential to live up to their hype. Keep in mind though, this is not an album whose charms are immediately apparent. Perhaps Martin's hypnotic keyboards require time to burrow into the subconscious before they can truly be appreciated. Like a wine that opens up when its had a chance to breathe, it is with repeated listens that the album's subtleties are revealed. Unless Chris Martin erases world hunger, Coldplay has little chance of becoming the next U2 and should stop creating music in that mold. However, if they stick to the music that is uniquely theirs, there is a good chance that come 2015, some young band with a lead keyboardist married to Mary Kate or Ashley Olsen may proclaim that they want to be the next Coldplay.

[/b]

lol you get stressed too easily Dejan .......

anyway ermmm well after nearly falling asleep reading it and realising that half of it makes no sense ....

its hardly an X&Y review, more like trying to compare Coldplay to U2 which you have already tried in a thread you made the other day so its not a very good review to me.

if i was reading this review to make up my mind whether to buy X&Y you'd leave me :confused: and undecided

How did I know this was going to be a negative review :rolleyes:

I can't stand reviews that have not one bit of research to them. "Twisting Logic?" If someone gets the simplest of the simples wrong, just image what else is incorrect.

:) :lol: :angry: :cool: :embarrased: :rolleyes: :o ;) :huh: :D :P :cry: :( :smug: :wink3: :confused: :/ :stunned: :idea2: :sneaky: :kiss: :dozey: :blush: :snore: :) :lol: :angry: :cool: :embarrased: :rolleyes: :o ;) :huh: :D :P :cry: :( :smug: :wink3: :confused: :/ :stunned: :idea2: :sneaky: :kiss: :dozey: :blush: :snore: :) :lol: :angry: :cool: :embarrased: :rolleyes: :o ;) :huh: :D :P :cry: :( :smug: :wink3: :confused: :/ :stunned: :idea2: :sneaky: :kiss: :dozey: :blush: :snore: :) :lol: :angry: :cool: :embarrased: :rolleyes: :o ;) :huh: :D :P :cry: :( :smug: :wink3: :confused: :/ :stunned: :idea2: :sneaky: :kiss: :dozey: :blush: :snore: :) :lol: :angry: :cool: :embarrased: :rolleyes: :o ;) :huh: :D :P :cry: :( :smug: :wink3: :confused: :/ :stunned: :idea2: :sneaky: :kiss: :dozey: :blush: :snore: :) :lol: :angry: :cool: :embarrased: :rolleyes: :o ;) :huh: :D :P :cry: :( :smug: :wink3: :confused: :/ :stunned: :idea2: :sneaky: :kiss: :dozey: :blush: :snore: :) :lol: :angry: :cool: :embarrased: :rolleyes: :o ;) :huh: :D :P :cry: :( :smug: :wink3: :confused: :/ :stunned: :idea2: :sneaky: :kiss: :dozey: :blush: :snore: :) :lol: :angry: :cool: :embarrased: :rolleyes: :o ;) :huh: :D :P :cry: :( :smug: :wink3: :confused: :/ :stunned: :idea2: :sneaky: :kiss: :dozey: :blush: :snore: :) :lol: :angry: :cool: :embarrased: :rolleyes: :o ;) :huh: :D :P :cry: :( :smug: :wink3: :confused: :/ :stunned: :idea2: :sneaky: :kiss: :dozey: :blush: :snore: :) :lol: :angry: :cool: :embarrased: :rolleyes: :o ;) :huh: :D :P :cry: :( :smug: :wink3: :confused: :/ :stunned: :idea2: :sneaky: :kiss: :dozey: :blush: :snore: :) :lol: :angry: :cool: :embarrased: :rolleyes: :o ;) :huh: :D :P :cry: :( :smug: :wink3: :confused: :/ :stunned: :idea2: :sneaky: :kiss: :dozey: :blush: :snore: :) :lol: :angry: :cool: :embarrased: :rolleyes: :o ;) :huh: :D :P :cry: :( :smug: :wink3: :confused: :/ :stunned: :idea2: :sneaky: :kiss: :dozey: :blush: :snore: :) :lol: :angry: :cool: :embarrased: :rolleyes: :o ;) :huh: :D :P :cry: :( :smug: :wink3: :confused: :/ :stunned: :idea2: :sneaky: :kiss: :dozey: :blush: :snore: :) :lol: :angry: :cool: :embarrased: :rolleyes: :o ;) :huh: :D :P :cry: :( :smug: :wink3: :confused: :/ :stunned: :idea2: :sneaky: :kiss: :dozey: :blush: :snore:cOULD ANYONE EXPLAIN ME WHAT'S THAT PIECE OF SHIT? THE PERSON WHO WROTE THAT REVIEW MAY BE CRAZY

I'm a big U2 fan.That is, bigger than I am a Coldplay fan. With that in mind, I think I'm in a position to say: X&Y sounds very, very little like U2. Fine, Jonny uses similar techniques sometimes, as in "Talk", but even then... *kaff* he doesn't have enough talent to sound too much like the Edge. No offense to him, of course; he's already better here than either of their previous efforts, so I suspect the next album will see him even better.(This was likewise true of Edge; I don't think his real talents shone through until album #4, and even then they were hazy and ambient. It would be #5 before he learned how to make it a lead isntrument, and #7 before he proved himself a guitar hero.)

The closest Coldplay and Jonny have ever come to sounding like U2, I believe, is "Moses". To say the album 'imitates' U2 is mildly insulting, a sit places the band in a position they themselves do not concede. Bands will inevitably harken back to their influences, to which I boldy respond: Duh. That is, it all sounds slightly U2-esque -- they're a chief influence. But it still sounds like Coldplay, but a Coldplay also inflecting their music with the other sounds of the '80s, which we may forget existed.

That's mostly all I wanted to say, except that 'simple' is nto a word I'd use to describe "Clocks"; I'd use a more fitting word, like 'ambitious'. Or 'complicated'.

I am a bit fed up with journalists that keep comparing U2 with Coldplay. They different bands. Maybe they sound a bit like U2 but that cannot be helped as U2 are one of, if not the biggest band on the planet and inspire countless number of other bands. Plus U2 do not have a piano in any of their songs (as far as I can remember) or use it as a main instrument.

what's wrong with y'all ?

It's just a fuckin review,you don't know the MEANING of a forum i guess :rolleyes:

if you are going to copy and paste a review from elsewhere.. be sure to credit the source.. or at least provide a link so you don't get attacked. :) Its also courteous to the author. :)

It's just a fuckin review,you don't know the MEANING of a forum i guess :rolleyes:

if you are going to copy and paste a review from elsewhere.. be sure to credit the source.. or at least provide a link so you don't get attacked. :) Its also courteous to the author. :)

i think it was Dejan who wrote the review just because it is pretty shit and doesn't really look at X&Y as an album :rolleyes:

the review is correct in that simplicity is what makes Coldplay's music work. nothing on X&Y sounds easy. if Coldplay follows on their current path, their music may continue to "evolve", but fans and critics alike will point to their first two albums as their finest and most earnest work.

i think it was Dejan who wrote the review just because it is pretty shit and doesn't really look at X&Y as an album :rolleyes:

vaffanculo testa di cazzo figlio di troia

the review is correct in that simplicity is what makes Coldplay's music work. nothing on X&Y sounds easy. if Coldplay follows on their current path' date=' their music may continue to "evolve", but fans and critics alike will point to their first two albums as their finest and most earnest work.[/quote']

I second that. But I've more hope... Hopefully they'll realise in their future albums and incorporate both. That'd be truly great.

...a review of a coldplay album.

...what the fuck..does U2..have to do with coldplay's album.

what kind of fucking review.. .............jesus christ.

just REVIEW THE ALBUM.

if you can't talk about an album on it's own without

making pointless comparisons.. don't bother reviewing.

and what the hell does Chris being Gwn's husband have

jack shit to do with the album? not a damn thing.

every single review i see.. same exact phrases and comparisons.

i don't thikn i've ever read a review that talks about

the album itself. period.

:o

the review is correct in that simplicity is what makes Coldplay's music work. nothing on X&Y sounds easy. if Coldplay follows on their current path' date=' their music may continue to "evolve", but fans and critics alike will point to their first two albums as their finest and most earnest work.[/quote']

No, Coldplay themselves make the music work. I personally would hate it if CP went on doing the same old, simple stuff that they got known for. How are they supposed to evolve if there's no room for change? I don't like how you say "fans" will point to their first two albums as their finest. Which fans? Not this fan. Give the guys a chance. You don't know if you'll prefer their 4th or 6th album to Parachutes or AROBTTH.

For someone who shares my birthday, we're not really eye to eye on things. ;)