✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

'Coldplay Quitting Label' Claims Denied

busybeeburns

74_Coldplay_L110406.jpg

Record company sources say band will be sticking with EMI

Reports that Coldplay are set to leave their record label EMI have been dismissed by a source at the label.

Stories have been appearing yesterday (January 8) suggesting that the band only had one more album to deliver following the release of their next studio album, rumoured to be called ‘Prospekt’ and due out later this year.

The stories speculated that a greatest hits collection would follow and then the band would be free agents. However, a source at the label told NME.COM today (January 9) that was not the case and the band remain in contract with the label.

“In reality Coldplay are signed to a long-term record deal with EMI and are committed to produce a number of studio albums," they explained.

“The band's relationship with EMI is both long-term and very healthy and positive. Any suggestion to the contrary is incorrect and unfair on both parties.”

http://www.nme.com/news/coldplay/33549

I would definitely have expected Coldplay to jump ship; I'm doing a project on EMI for a class, and apparently the company is not faring well. As such, I'm surprised Coldplay's not following Radiohead and Paul McCartney (and Robbie Williams?) out the door.

Coldplay Stick With EMI (For Now)

coldplay.jpg

Reports that Coldplay were set to follow Paul McCartney and Radiohead out of the revolving EMI door, have been dismissed as wide of the mark by the label themselves.

The Daily Star apologised today, for printing “a misleading story” that indicated the band would be leaving EMI, after they had delivered their next studio album, rumoured to be called ‘Prospekt’ and due late 2008. The piece suggested that Coldplay would then follow that up with a ‘Greatest Hits’ LP.

This afternoon, however, NME have run a story quoting an EMI source who says that all is hunky dory with the band. They said: “In reality Coldplay are signed to a long-term record deal with EMI and are committed to produce a number of studio albums.

“The band’s relationship with EMI is both long-term and very healthy and positive. Any suggestion to the contrary is incorrect and unfair on both parties.”

Despite the denials, the speculation will continue, especially as frontman Chris Martin hasn’t always seen eye-to-eye with his label bosses. Back in 2005, when ‘X&Y’ slipped a few months, thus denting EMI’s stock market value, he was asked what he thought of the matter:

“I don’t really care about EMI. I’m not really concerned about that. I think shareholders are the greatest evil of this modern world.”

With the loss of McCartney and Radiohead, to lose the multi-million-selling Coldplay would be a further massive blow for EMI, who are this week, expected to announce a major shake up of their operations, including withdrawing from industry body the IFPI as well as announcing major job losses.

http://strangeglue.com/coldplay-stick-with-emi-for-now/3204/

In total agrement with Mo and Gabriel.

That's why I'm guessing the 5th will be an outtakes album to finish out the deal. Of course the label will say 'All's well.' when dealing with the press, but the band have been vocal about their (minor) disputes with EMI for years. And frankly, at the rate things are going, the majors are on their way out. A friend of mine at Capitol (owned by EMI) has said that lay-offs are coming down the pike and it doesn't matter how well their top-selling artists do, the 'net has changed the face of the music industry permanently. The entire shape of the industry is going to change, and any intelligent band will do what Radiohead and others have done: sell their own music and handle their own affairs. It's going to be the only way to stay afloat in the very near future.

Sorry for the long post, but believe me, that's the short version,lol.:wink3:

^Hmmm i have to agreee with you. Everyone seems pissed off with the way EMI has pisssed them about,Paul Machartney, Radiohead and now Robbie Williams. I think Coldplay are intelligent enough to do it themselves or go somwhere else. Im just confused as why they havent done it sooner.

i hope this still remains true given the rumors of them striking...

in the contract, does it say how much TIME they have to put out five albums? do they have a certain number of years? because if they do, that could influence both the alleged strike and what the 5th album is. i really hope tracie is right and that the 5th will be an outtake album rather than just a stale "best of" because my dream is to spend time in the coldplay valut and listen to everything that they've ever recorded! an outtake album would be the next best thing. and they could realease that without really having to spend much time in the studio and therefore not much more time with EMI, cutting them loose sooner.

i wonder if they'll find another label that they like more or pull a radiohead and self-release. i think it would be smarter of them to pull a radiohead (theyre big enough to get away with it), but i think they'd probably be critically condemned for doing that because of their constant comparison to radiohead and their fandom of the band in the early years. i can see the headlines now: "COLDPLAY STILL KEEN TO FOLLOW IN RADIOHEAD'S FOOTSTEPS."