✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

'Live 2003' DVD... have I got a dud copy?

Robbieboy

Apologies if this is a topic covered previously on these forums- I am a 'newbie' to the Coldplaying forums! (I did do a forum search but could not locate any similar threads).

My question is, has there ever been problems noticed or comment made about the sound quality on the 'Live 2003' DVD?

Recently I bought a copy and whilst playing it, noticed what seemed to be very distorted, 'static-y' sound on some songs, particularly the more 'amplified'/heavy sections of tracks such as Politik, GPASUYF, etc. Has anyone else noticed this, is it a figment of my imagination, or do I possible have a bad copy?

No big deal, it cost me all of $10 AUS- but I have played the DVD on my DVD player and computer, ripped the audio to my hard drive, and synced to my iPod and I notice the same problem regardless of which 'method' I use to listen to the music.

Any help or comments appreciated!

Hmmm, watched/listened to clips from the DVD on youtube- sounded okay. So then I went to the store where I bought the DVD and swapped it for another copy. This copy sounds fine when played on my computer, but when I ripped the audio to my hard drive and sent to my media player/ iPod, the sound was again dodgy.

Oh well, no big deal. I shall just play the DVD whenever I want to hear the Live 2003 material. I wonder if this is a problem others have encountered with other music DVD's? (i.e problems with sound when audio is ripped to hard drive). Thanks anyway, folks.

I ripped mine to my iTunes too and it sounds fine.

Maybe it's just your computer, no?

Actually I ripped the CD, so nevermind this comment unless you did that too.

The biggest problem I had with Live 2003 was how the lighting was when Chris was at piano. It made it look like he had been tanning everything except his nose. And his nose was a different shade (lighter) than the rest of him. Other than that, it was pretty good. ;)

I had the same problem when ripping the audio tracks. Its unavoidable, I think its a security measure so you buy the CD.

Ah, that's what I suspected- so at least I now know it's not my system, or something I am getting wrong- thanks for that, Malcolm-Edge.

It must be just on certain music DVD's but not all, because I have ripped audio off a number of my music DVD's (maybe half a dozen) and this has not happened before.

Going back to post by Prospekt re: issues with the DVD: does anyone think there might be crowd overdubs on the DVD? (as opposed to music overdubs). There seems to be abnormally high levels of crowd noise evident in quieter parts of songs- where you would not normally expect the audience to be so vocal.

It kind of reminded me of a Queen boot I have where the music is from some BBC studio sessions they did, and bootleggers added really fake and unnatural sounding cheering crowd sounds, to make it sound like a live recording. As I said, I am not implying Coldplay did any musical overdubs on the DVD, but the crowd noise to me doesn't sound 'quite right'...

I must say also that I love the DVD and in particular the track Moses:)

The crowd noise is really loud right? Sort of sounds staticy at parts.

I noticed that too. But I dunno.. I figured they might have turned the crowd noise up a bit. That's it?

I don'y have a clue how live DVD's are recorded... but I'm sure there's different mics for the crowd and the music.. so you know.

The crowd noise is really loud right? Sort of sounds staticy at parts.

Yes, Prospekt- I think the crowd noise does sound abnormally high, but that's a separate issue to the one I am referring to in my original post.

What I was referring to originally is distorted, static-y sound (kinda like when you turn a transistor radio up too loud). Most obvious and noticeable during the 'rockier' songs or rockier parts of songs and especially around Chris' vocals when he shouts/screams/sings louder. Happens on the 'heavier bits' of GPASUYF and on Politik to name but two.