✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

'Yellow' tone on Viva a Vida tour

Hello people just wondering if anyone would be helpful enough to help me get a sound close to what jonny gets on yellow during the current tour. I realise he has thousands of dollars of rack effects etc but what does everyone think.

I have a fender 2009 standard tele, digitech gnx3000 processor and fender frontman 65 watt amp.

My band's covering it and of course I have to pay respect to the greats of coldplay by sounding perfect haha:)

Ah, he uses a Pro Co Rat Distortion, a Fender Reverb, and some delay according to half the tempo of the song. He used to use a MXR micro amp for a small amount of gain to give the Rat a bit more kick, though i think its been replaced by an Ibanez tube screamer or something.

He only used the Micro amp when he played it on the Jaguar (which hasn't been for several years now) If you turn the gain all the way up, and you're playing a single coil pickup guitar, you can kind of send the coils into a slight form of natural overdrive doing this.

The distortion on yellow now thow still sounds quite "mild" to my ear, so I think the bulk of itis coming from his Tubescreamer as opposed to either the RAT, HBE or Fulltone pedals. The good thing about this is that the Tubescreamer is by far the cheapest and easiest to find of all these pedals.

Good thinking fakfak. Why would he stop using the Rat though, it has a very unique tone? Also I was thinking of getting a Tubescreamer, just wasn't settled on it, but after what you've said maybe I will.

Also, in Fix You on the latest tour, the distorted guitar in the outro sounds different then on the Twisted Logic tour, any ideas why? Is he using the Tubescreamer again?

"Is he using the Tubescreamer again?"

The weird distortion on the current live outro to Fix You sounds more like the RAT in combination with something else (maybe the micro POG?) He has 4 distortion pedals in his current setup though, so it's a bit hard to tell what's providing distortion at any given time as these are always layered in with several other effects. (not to mention combined with each other).

Oh, an apearently(sp?) his MXR was modded to allow the gain to boost more than normal, so you might have difficulty achieving the same effect from a stock pedal, though you should be able to get close.