✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

MaraGONA!!

mc_squared

No deal for Diego Maradona as Argentina part company with flamboyant manager

By Sportsmail Reporter Last updated at 1:16 AM on 28th July 2010

Diego Maradona will no longer continue as Argentina manager after the association's executive committee unanimously agreed not to renew his contract.

Maradona met with the the Argentinian Football Association (AFA) president Julio Grondona on Monday in a bid to resolve his future, with reports suggesting a new four-year deal was on the table.

article-0-0A97A30B000005DC-452_306x423.jpg On his way: Argentina have not offered Maradona a new deal

The 49-year-old had said he would sign the contract as long as his entire backroom staff were retained.

Grondona revealed details of the talks to his board today and the AFA have confirmed they have decided not to renew Maradona's contract.

A brief statement on the AFA website read: 'The president of the Argentinian Football Association, Mr Julio Grondona, made the members of the executive committee aware of the conversation with Mr Diego Maradona, setting out the points which had come out from the meeting.

'The executive committee unanimously resolved not to renew the contract with Mr Diego Maradona as coach of the Argentina national football team.'

Maradona said he would no longer coach Argentina after they were eliminated from the World Cup by Germany at the quarter-final stage, but yesterday morning revealed he was keen to sign a new contract, as long as he was allowed to retain his entire backroom staff.

Grondona was equally eager for the 1986 World Cup winner to pen a new four-year deal, but one of Maradona's assistants, former Argentina defender Oscar Ruggeri, has been criticised by the AFA chief in the wake of the team's World Cup exit.

Argentina's next game is a friendly against Ireland on August 11 in Dublin, and current Under-20 boss Sergio Batista has been placed in temporary charge for that fixture.

I think you dont remember wich team is the actual Libertadores champion!

He is better than Maradona without doubt. Well i think im better manager than maradona haha.

Just kidding.

I agree with you, but i also like Maradona.

Marado! Marado! :lol:

nao-te esqueças do teu seleccionador Dunga... tambem é mau senao pior

Tu tens razão. Dunga, apesar de ter jogado por muito tempo no Internacional, time para qual torço, não foi bom jogador e não é bom técnico.

Mas não mudemos de assunto, estamos falando do Maradona :dozey:

Maradona its not prepared to be manager, he was the manager only because he was the best player of all times.

He cant manage a team, less he can manage Argentina.

Or something like that, my english really sucks.