✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Vegetarianism!

hotdensestate

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just learned a few weeks ago (from someone above ) that you might want to avoid Jello and the like also. I had NO IDEA it was derived from dead animals. Kind of sickening when you think about it; I will never look at that stuff the same way ever again.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gelatin

Doesn't certain type of sweets contain gelatin of cows? :thinking:

Kind of why people who don't eat beef also don't eat those sweets.

Err.. I could never quit meat D:

But if I think about it, it's not like I eat lots of it :thinking: I'm extremely picky with meat, that might explain why I don't eat so much.

I've seen you Sara, you're so thin, and I seriously don't see why eating meat would be a potential risk to your health, unless your liver is shit.

Anyway do as you please :nice: I'd stop eating meat but I can't stand the taste of veggies and other shit alone.

I just learned a few weeks ago (from someone above :rolleyes: ) that you might want to avoid Jello and the like also. I had NO IDEA it was derived from dead animals. Kind of sickening when you think about it; I will never look at that stuff the same way ever again.

Yes, the thing is I have to take penicillin twice a day, and the capsules are made of gelatin, and I wouldn't want it to be a health issue because of that.

I am part of a family of meat eaters. I eat quite a bit of meat, and I enjoy doing so, because in my opinion, it's quite tasty. I don't think I could go without it.

Having said that, however, I refuse to go hunting or fishing. I will say that I think hunting purely for sport is wrong. Taking an animal's life for fun is not OK. Hunting for the fur alone is equally as bad to me. If you were going to use that part of the animal, why not use the rest of it, or at least more than just the fur? That is just wasteful. At any rate, there are now synthetic furs for that, so being fancy and buying a real fox stole is not necessary. As for hunting for food, I have no issue, as long as I don't do it. I never have gone hunting, and I never will. I could not consciously kill an animal, then eat it. I would feel way too bad about killing the animal in the first place without turning around and stuffing my face with it.

OK, so this probably had not much to do with the topic, but when I start thinking about stuff like this, I can kinda get carried away.

I just learned a few weeks ago (from someone above :rolleyes: ) that you might want to avoid Jello and the like also. I had NO IDEA it was derived from dead animals. Kind of sickening when you think about it; I will never look at that stuff the same way ever again.

:cheesy: I know, it's disgusting. :sick:

I am part of a family of meat eaters. I eat quite a bit of meat, and I enjoy doing so, because in my opinion, it's quite tasty. I don't think I could go without it.

Having said that, however, I refuse to go hunting or fishing. I will say that I think hunting purely for sport is wrong. Taking an animal's life for fun is not OK. Hunting for the fur alone is equally as bad to me. If you were going to use that part of the animal, why not use the rest of it, or at least more than just the fur? That is just wasteful. At any rate, there are now synthetic furs for that, so being fancy and buying a real fox stole is not necessary. As for hunting for food, I have no issue, as long as I don't do it. I never have gone hunting, and I never will. I could not consciously kill an animal, then eat it. I would feel way too bad about killing the animal in the first place without turning around and stuffing my face with it.

OK, so this probably had not much to do with the topic, but when I start thinking about stuff like this, I can kinda get carried away.

I actually think hunting for fun is despicable as well... But hunting and then eating the meat? Sure, go ahead. It's much more sustainable than eating factory farmed animals.

But you do know the animal you're eating is still dead, whether you killed it or not?

Sorry, I hate pushing my opinions on other people, I really do... But hate the fact when people don't really want to take responsibility for what they are eating.

Anyway, life is short - eat what you want - but I don't think you should eat something without stopping to think of what the thing you're putting in your mouth is doing to your body and to the enviroment (the meat industry stands for more carbon dioxide emissions than all the vehicle industry put together),

Done.

:P

Forgoing BEEF and PORK? LYK SRSLY? PORK. BEAUTIFUL PORK. *Would love to post pictures of pork dishes but considers it inappropriate*

And beef is like heaven. :freak:

Anyway, it's actually a good idea. :nice:

Pork is dirty if you actually think how it's been processed, etc. And once you know how the animals area killed to obtain their meat, you wouldn't want to eat it anyway.

What are your moral reasons?

Pork is my favorite meat. :sad: But like you said, I do object to how it's processed. My moral reasons for quitting meat are how most of the animals are treated (battery hens, etc). I think the health benefits are more compelling to me, though.

If you don't think that eating meat is not cruel and you're already buying free range meat, then I don't see any moral reasons why you should stop eating meat.

And it is better to get all the nutritions from the natural sources rather than depending on supplements, no?

Not all the meat we get is free-range, and meat I eat in restaurants almost certainly is not. Natural sources are better than supplements, sure, but meat is freaking unhealthy, at the quantities that Americans eat it.

Ok, long multi-quote, so I'm putting it in spoiler...

Congrats on trying to become vegetarian! I think you'll soon find that it isn't hard to do at all, and there are lots of great meat substitutes if you should miss meat.

On the eggs and milk thing... I'm vegetarian (going vegan when I move away from home, 'cause you know... Parents :P) myself and I sometimes eat eggs and drink milk (I don't really like it :shrug:) Make sure you choose free-range organic eggs and organic milk! :)

Eating meat -especially in the US is- cruelty to animals. In the US most of the meat comes from animals raised in factory farms, meaning many of them never even see daylight. Please read Eating Animals by Jonathan Safran Foer - it's not biased and is simply based on facts.

Protein is actually very hard to get a deficiency in! Watch out for B12 deficiency and low iron levels, though. :)

I don't consider humans meat-eaters at all, and I'm probably going to get a lot of crap for this, but I don't care, haha. :P Human teeth are blunt, we have long intestines and we don't have high levels of acid in our stomachs to break down the meat - and as a result it rots in our intestines! That is why meat is linked to colon cancer. If you compare this with for example a lion - they have short intestines (which helps the meat leave their bodies quicker) and sharp teeth to rip the meat from their preys.

I can accept the fact that humans used to eat meat. But we've never, ever eaten it like we do today. We eat antibiotic packed meat from animals who eat other dead animals - several times a day!

A 'natural' way of eating animals would be to run for a few hours for an animal who's lived in the wild, eaten grass, kill it yourself and eat it while it's fresh. Then maybe not eat meat for another week or so.

There, I said it - bring on the flames, hah! :P

Me too, I could never, ever go back to eat meat. No way. :heart:

HAHAHAHA :lol:

Phew :sweatdrop:

Thanks for the tips, especially about the iron and B12 deficiencies. I'm going to take multivitamins I think. What you say about the health benefits is basically exactly what I think as well. Humans are engineered to eat meat like, twice or three times a month. Not every day like we do here.

there's quite a lot of cheese you should avoid as well if you are doing it on moral grounds ]Thanks for the tips, especially about the iron and B12 deficiencies. I'm going to take multivitamins I think. What you say about the health benefits is basically exactly what I think as well. Humans are engineered to eat meat like, twice or three times a month. Not every day like we do here.

Er, okay. I didn't know that about the ingredients being used to make it coming from baby cow stomachs. Thanks for the heads-up.

That's a bit sickening actually. Never knew.

Err.. I could never quit meat D:

But if I think about it, it's not like I eat lots of it :thinking: I'm extremely picky with meat, that might explain why I don't eat so much.

I've seen you Sara, you're so thin, and I seriously don't see why eating meat would be a potential risk to your health, unless your liver is shit.

Anyway do as you please :nice: I'd stop eating meat but I can't stand the taste of veggies and other shit alone.

It's less of a weight thing and more of a "I really really honest to god don't want saturated fat clinging to every square millimeter of my arteries by the time I'm 35" thing. :P

Yeah, but again, being thin is a good sign. No atherosclerosis, good renal, cardiac and liver function. You'll be fine.

Well yeah, but I don't want to take a chance :P Also, a lot of mainstream-ly-produced meat has antibiotics and steroids and shit which I don't want to ingest in copious amuonts.

FUCK! I just realized that official parmeasan cheese always has slaughtered-calf juices in it. This entails quitting pizza. I am not sure I can do that. ARGH MY LIFE IS HARRRRDDDD :bigcry:

I actually think hunting for fun is despicable as well... But hunting and then eating the meat? Sure, go ahead. It's much more sustainable than eating factory farmed animals.

But you do know the animal you're eating is still dead, whether you killed it or not?

Sorry, I hate pushing my opinions on other people, I really do... But hate the fact when people don't really want to take responsibility for what they are eating.

Anyway, life is short - eat what you want - but I don't think you should eat something without stopping to think of what the thing you're putting in your mouth is doing to your body and to the enviroment (the meat industry stands for more carbon dioxide emissions than all the vehicle industry put together),

Done.

:P

Ummm, yeah. They're kinda supposed to be dead when you eat them. :blank:

If you hate pushing your opinions on people so much, you sure aren't showing it. What is this crap about me not "wanting to take responsibility for what I'm eating?" There isn't any responsibility to take. I just go to the grocery store, buy food, and eat it. I have no part in dealing with any of the production of it, so I shouldn't be held responsible. Sure, I'd like to eat healthier, but eating healthier means spending more money on really healthy food, and I'm part of a lower-middle class family, so we can't afford to spend money on organic food or other things. In my family, we don't eat a lot of beef because it's incredibly awesome. We buy it because it's often the cheapest meat at the grocery store. Don't go around telling me how to live my life when you don't even know how it is.

If you hate pushing your opinions on people so much, you sure aren't showing it. What is this crap about me not "wanting to take responsibility for what I'm eating?" There isn't any responsibility to take. I just go to the grocery store, buy food, and eat it. I have no part in dealing with any of the production of it, so I shouldn't be held responsible. Sure, I'd like to eat healthier, but eating healthier means spending more money on really healthy food, and I'm part of a lower-middle class family, so we can't afford to spend money on organic food or other things. In my family, we don't eat a lot of beef because it's incredibly awesome. We buy it because it's often the cheapest meat at the grocery store. Don't go around telling me how to live my life when you don't even know how it is.

I'm not her but I think what she meant about taking responsibility was being aware of how the animals are treated/how the meat is processed?

edit: I'm also not trying to push anything down your throat (especially cuz I'm not even a proper vegetarian, like, at all :P) but apparently cutting meat out of your diet saves over $4000 in grocery bills per year :surprised:

I'm certainly no saint, I still eat meat, but my consumption has gone down significantly over the years. I don't like steak, although it's mostly because it's never cooked right, I just avoid it now. If I want the taste of steak, I'll go have a wood-fire-grilled portabello mushroom (which is awesome, by the way). I rarely eat burgers anymore, can't remember the last time I had seafood (with the exception of a little bite of cod in Otford a couple of weeks ago ;)), etc. Most of my meat intake anymore is chicken and turkey. But frankly, I could do without those. Maybe I should give this a try? :thinking: I'd still keep milk and eggs though.

I agree with the hunting comments... I never understood the whole "hunting for sport" thing. Sure, I can understand how it could be fun to have target practice on some inanimate object, or even the bow-and-arrow thing, but I just don't understand the "pleasure" in killing an animal for sport. And the thing is, in Michigan, it is a huge part of the culture here. There are specific "hunting seasons" based on the type of animal, method of hunting, etc. People take weeks off of work to participate (usually in autumn). They bring the animals home all tied up to their cars. Ugh. However, it is said that deer hunting is "necessary" here because otherwise the deer population would get out of control (there are already loads of deer roadkill as it is). I dunno. I don't want to participate in the population control, thank you very much.

^Yeah, humans basically hunted deer's natural predators (mountain lions, wolves, etc) to extinction in most of the areas they used to live, so deer hunting is necessary to keep the population in check. I do wish they wouldn't let the meat go to waste, though.

They are?! :stunned: :P

I wasn't talking to you, I was talking to people in general, sorry if you felt offended. But I do feel that there is a responsibility to take. By making certain choices you send a message to the producers.

And eating healthier doesn't have to be more expensive - I'm not from a very rich family myself! I don't know how it is in the US, but here it's cheaper to buy veggies, beans, lentils etc than to buy meat.

Anyway, sorry if you felt offended, I was certainly not telling you how to live your life.

I'm certainly no saint, I still eat meat, but my consumption has gone down significantly over the years. I don't like steak, although it's mostly because it's never cooked right, I just avoid it now. If I want the taste of steak, I'll go have a wood-fire-grilled portabello mushroom (which is awesome, by the way). I rarely eat burgers anymore, can't remember the last time I had seafood (with the exception of a little bite of cod in Otford a couple of weeks ago ;)), etc. Most of my meat intake anymore is chicken and turkey. But frankly, I could do without those. Maybe I should give this a try? :thinking: I'd still keep milk and eggs though.

I agree with the hunting comments... I never understood the whole "hunting for sport" thing. Sure, I can understand how it could be fun to have target practice on some inanimate object, or even the bow-and-arrow thing, but I just don't understand the "pleasure" in killing an animal for sport. And the thing is, in Michigan, it is a huge part of the culture here. There are specific "hunting seasons" based on the type of animal, method of hunting, etc. People take weeks off of work to participate (usually in autumn). They bring the animals home all tied up to their cars. Ugh. However, it is said that deer hunting is "necessary" here because otherwise the deer population would get out of control (there are already loads of deer roadkill as it is). I dunno. I don't want to participate in the population control, thank you very much.

Aw, I love Portabello mushrooms! :awesome: They're sooo good. Yay, come over to the green side, Carrie! :heart:

I wasn't talking to you, I was talking to people in general, sorry if you felt offended. But I do feel that there is a responsibility to take. By making certain choices you send a message to the producers.

And eating healthier doesn't have to be more expensive - I'm not from a very rich family myself! I don't know how it is in the US, but here it's cheaper to buy veggies, beans, lentils etc than to buy meat.

Anyway, sorry if you felt offended, I was certainly not telling you how to live your life.

Well, I wish things were that way here, but they're not. (at least, not around where I live in the US, anyway) We do enough as it is to try to save money. We don't buy name-brand anything when it comes to food, because it's more expensive than your generic grocery store brand. Saving money is why Wal-Mart is awesome. :awesome:

Anyway, I'm sorry I misunderstood you. Anytime I read something that seems that it could be taken offensively, I automatically assume that it is, and I get all defensive without even thinking about whether that was the person's intention or not. I seem to have had a few of these problems lately. My apologies.

^Yeah, humans basically hunted deer's natural predators (mountain lions, wolves, etc) to extinction in most of the areas they used to live, so deer hunting is necessary to keep the population in check. I do wish they wouldn't let the meat go to waste, though.

Point I Was making, Except with Cows and ruling of the world .:P