mc_squared Posted August 6, 2010 Share Posted August 6, 2010 Dozens of swimmers poisoned by weever fish after warm weather leads to population explosion in British waters By Daily Mail Reporter Last updated at 5:31 PM on 6th August 2010 Comments (10) Add to My Stories British holidaymakers have been warned to beware the innocent-looking but dangerous weever fish after at least 30 beachgoers were poisoned in a week. Scores of unsuspecting bathers, some of them young children, have already fallen prey to the small sea creatures's venomous sting. The weever fish has sharp spines laced with venom along its dorsal fin which stick up out of the sand, where it hides, and inflict agony on any unsuspecting bathers unlucky enough to tread on one. Unseen danger: The lesser weever has venomous spines that inflict agony on unlucky bathers in bare feet The nerve poison injected into victims brings excruciating pain lasting several hours, often causes people's limbs to swell and in extreme cases can lead to temporary paralysis. Irritation can last for two weeks. Death is extremely rare following stings, although respiratory failure and gangrene have been reported after puncture wounds have become infected. The sandy-coloured fish, measuring around six inches, are more commonly found in warmer waters but have bred rapidly around Britain's coast because of the recent spell of hot weather. They are usually invisible to the naked eye as they camouflage themselves under sand in shallow water. Britain's most venomous fish Echiichthys vipera, or the lesser weever, grows to around six inches long. It lives in shallow waters from Morocco to the English Channel and spends most of its time buried under the sea bed with only its eyes and venomous dorsal fin poking out from the sand. A larger species, the greater weever, lives in deeper waters.Weever fish are not strong swimmers but are capable of bursts of speed over very short distances. They use their excellent camouflage to lie in wait for prey to approach, when they suddenly dart out and engulf it in their relatively huge mouths.The spines along the dorsal fin and gills are for protection against predators and are not used to catch food. They contain a venom which in humans causes excruciating pain and swelling.The venom is a type of protein which is 'denatured' - broken down - at temperatures above 40C. This is why the recommended treatment is to bathe the affected limb in water as hot as the victim can tolerate without scalding.August is the month when most reports of stings occur in Britain, mainly because more bathers are willing to brave the seas for a paddle. Marine expert Matt Slater, of the Blue Reef Aquarium in Newquay, Cornwall, warned surfers and holidaymakers to be vigilant. He said: 'The weever fish uses specially-adapted dorsal fins to inject a fast-acting poison into the wound. 'The pain is excruciating and is at its most intense for the first two hours when the affected limb swells up. 'There are some basic precautions to avoid getting stung. The simplest is to wear some form of footwear in the water. 'Another way is to shuffle your feet through the sand as you walk - this disturbance should scare away any nearby fish.' Mr Slater said pain from an attack can last for up to 24 hours and those stung by the poisonous fish should treat the area with hot water. He added: 'If you do get stung the most effective treatment is to put the affected limb in water as hot as the victim can stand without causing scalding. 'The heat helps to break down the poison and it also increases blood flow to the sting causing natural cleaning and healing.' Weever fish are common in the Mediterranean but multiply around the British coast in hot spells, when they become a hazard for paddlers. They bury themselves in the sand backwards for camouflage and snatch prey as it swims past. The venom in its spines is a nerve poison and has a chemical in it which is one of the most potent pain producing substances known. The weever's poisonous dorsal spine is a defence against potential attackers. A sting feels at first like a sharp stab but the pain increases quickly. Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1300878/Dozens-swimmers-poisoned-weever-fish-warm-weather-leads-population-explosion-British-waters.html#ixzz0vrxpu7ZO Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!Register a new account
Already have an account? Sign in here.Sign In Now