✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

For US Students, THE ACT or SAT

ivet

If you're a US student, you've probably taken on of these test, if you're a foreign student wanting to go to college in the US, you've probably heard of and had to take this test.

What do you think of them?

Pretty easy stuff?

MEH?

I'm a shit test taker, I've taken the ACT 5 times now and I cannot get my score past a 21 (/36) UGH!

This doesn't help my need for free money for school and that makes me sad. It also makes me really disappointed in myself. I know I'm a good student, but apparently I can't score well on a test.

Anyways, my highest score, being the grammar/english nazi that i am was a 27 :charming:

but math & science, and reading were not high enough to balance it all out and give me a higher score.

That was my last chance at TRYING to impress colleges. This month is all about sending out apps. so yeah. basically, yeah.

Discuss.

I took both. I only took the ACT once, and I think the SAT twice. My score wasn't terrible, but it wasn't great for either.

I think also looking back I don't think I really took either test as seriously as most other people did or I should have.

Personally I feel that standardize testing in some sense is BS simply because there are people that are just not good at taking tests. On the other hand I guess it makes sense because just because you may be at the top of your class, you might not be at the top compared to other students.

Also my experience is that for a lot of schools, though those tests are important I don't feel that so much stress should be put on the students... I mean it is afterall only regular college and not Grad/Med school

I never took the ACT but I took the SAT twice.

I'm a really slow test taker, I like to take my time, so timed tests really stress me out. :|

I did okay-ish on the first one, didn't really feel all that prepared for it. But I bought an SAT practice book and practiced all the tests and increased my score by a lot, so yeah, those are really useful.

I've never taken the ACT, oddly enough. I only took the SAT once, without studying, and managed to get a 1310 (out of 1600). I suppose I could've done better. :shrug:

I have a very good friend who made a perfect 800 on the math portion of the SAT. I was extremely jealous of him.

I've never taken the ACT, oddly enough. I only took the SAT once, without studying, and managed to get a 1310 (out of 1600). I suppose I could've done better. :shrug:

I have a very good friend who made a perfect 800 on the math portion of the SAT. I was extremely jealous of him.

Damn, that is impressive. My cousin took an SAT class and he scored a 1340, so I would say you're pretty damn smart. I never took the SAT or any test. I went to community college and transferred to UCLA.

I've taken the SATs 3 times. I'm also awful when it comes to these things. I get good grades and advanced scores on standardized test (like the HSPA and etc) but I didn't do very well on the SAT so I'm fucked for scholarships and getting into my top choices of colleges and stuff.

I don't like that one test can affect your life so much, that's not right.

What about students who will be going to US? :wacky:

I've taken a mock SAT and I scored around 1750+. I'm considering to take the real one in January.

For me, and most of my friends, we think that SAT is not merely a test on intelligence, it also is a test for endurance. :|

Damn, that is impressive. My cousin took an SAT class and he scored a 1340, so I would say you're pretty damn smart. I never took the SAT or any test. I went to community college and transferred to UCLA.

Awww, thanks. :nice:

You went to UCLA? Awesomesauce.

I've taken the SATs 3 times. I'm also awful when it comes to these things. I get good grades and advanced scores on standardized test (like the HSPA and etc) but I didn't do very well on the SAT so I'm fucked for scholarships and getting into my top choices of colleges and stuff.

:hug:

For me, I like the SAT a lot more than the ACT, but for you, it depends on your style of thinking. SAT is more oriented towards quick, intuitive problem solving and ACT is more like plugging away during the whole test.

I've taken the ACT midway through sophomore year w/o as practice and did pretty well on it, although I kind of ran out of time a little bit. But I took the SAT about 5 months later and liked it a lot better, except for the essay which blew, and compared to the ACT I did slightly better as well, though not majorly.

I need to sign up to take the SAT again after winter break sometime... same with SAT Level IIs. Ugh. :dead: I don't have any time at all to study for SATs on top of all the crap I have to do for IB right now, urgh urgh.

Whatever though. I actually like taking standardized tests but I never try to freak out too much about them.

I knooooooooooooow :bomb:

I don't know what to do, honestly, I'm kinda freaking out, actually :anxious:

I took the ACT twice and the SAT once. Like Angie said, the schools that I applied to only wanted ACT so I didn't really put any effort into the SAT. But I got a 27 on my ACT. Also the ACT has a science section which the SAT does not, which was to my benefit! But both tests are long as heck and proctored like your on death row.

I'm for sure not the sharpest crayon in the box, but my brother was! He got perfect scores on both tests. Free ride to school for him!