✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Kate Bush

The Final Track

• 1 month later...

Go back on stage? I'd be petrified, confesses Kate Bush

By Ben Todd

Last updated at 9:10 AM on 6th May 2011

article-1384108-0BEC2D6100000578-496_233x423.jpg Chart-topper: Kate Bush in her heyday

It is more than 30 years since she last went on tour.

And Kate Bush’s fans, it seems, will have to keep on waiting for another chance to see her live.

In a rare interview, the reclusive singer has revealed she would be terrified if she ever took to the stage again.

She last performed a full concert at the Hammersmith Odeon in 1979, the finale of her first and only tour to date.

Speaking to Radio 4’s Front Row, the 52-year-old star said: ‘I do have the odd dream where I’m on stage and I’ve completely forgotten what I’m meant to be performing – so they are more nightmares than dreams.’

Asked if she would ever consider playing concerts again, Miss Bush, whose hits include Wuthering Heights and Running Up That Hill, denied she suffered from stage fright but said: ‘I would be absolutely petrified to start with.’ There has been intense speculation in the intervening decades over why Miss Bush stopped touring in the first place.

Theories have included a fear of flying and the death of Billy Duffield, one of her touring crew, who was killed in an accident at a concert in Poole in Dorset in 1979.

In the interview, Miss Bush insisted the importance of her family was a key factor in her decision not to tour.

The star lives in a mansion in Berkshire with her husband Danny McIntosh, who is also her guitarist, and their 12-year-old son Bertie.

She explained: ‘At the moment my family life is incredibly important to me and it comes first.

‘Then my work fits in around it which is quite easy to do with the recording process but something like doing shows would be incredibly disruptive and I just can’t see that would be something that would work at this stage.’

More...

She went on: ‘I’ve got no plans to do any tours or shows at all. I don’t really know how I could make that work with my life at the moment.

‘It would really interfere with my family life.’

However, she added: ‘I would hate to say that I will never do any kind of shows again because it was fun.’ The singer, whose last album, Aerial, came out in 2005, said she had written new songs but did not know when they would be released.

‘It’s very frustrating the albums take as long as they do. I wish there weren’t such big gaps between them,’ she said.

An album of reworked songs, Director’s Cut, is released this month. It features material from her Sensual World and Red Shoes albums, released in 1989 and 1993 respectively.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...