✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Entertainment Cocktail Review - 9/10

Guest howyousawtheworld

Guest howyousawtheworld

Mylo Xyloto is an album that will divide fans. It’s Coldplay alright, but it’s different. They’ve created a big-thinking concept album that serves up love and liberation at epic proportions. Continue to read for a track-by-track review.

Mylo Xyloto – the first track on the album. Just forty seconds of an ambient build-up to the gorgeous explosion of Hurts Like Heaven. It’s fast-paced, big, synthy and clearly defines the attitude and audial direction of the album.

Paradise follows. One that we’ve already heard and is widely used in media at the the moment. Again, heavy on the synth, stabs and strings, with the sweet and infectious chorus “Para-, para-, paradise!”.

Charlie Brown then bursts onto the scene with kick-drum-thumping confidence. It has a lovely riff that sounds like it’s soon to be used on a Comic Relief-esque charity video. It’s a simple band tune that lets us know that Coldplay are still that guitar band at heart.

Us Against the World is a short acoustic-y song and sounds very much like a ‘Now My Feet Don’t Touch the Ground’ Coldplay. It’s a more relaxed and personal sound; Chris Martin sounding very close to the ear as he sings with a sweeping vocals and croaky lows.

M.M.I.X. is merely another ambient build-up to the absolutely epic Every Teardrop Is a Waterfall, the first glimpse of the album that we were all treated to a while back. It’s definitely a gem. Everything about it feels inspirational and hearty. Not to mention the wavy side-chaining backdrops and clunky synths that compliment the track.

If you think your ears are in for a break, you are very much mistaken. Major Minus hits you with its speedy lyrics and cool execution. The bass overpowers from the start, which is in turn overpowered by probably the most ‘bad-ass’ chorus on the album. It’s an edge-of-your-seat and boastful listen.

U.F.O. is your chance to tuck yourself back in your seat; yet another mainly acoustic interlude. Princess of China follows. Peculiar synths. A hip-hop beat. Rihanna. You know some fans are going to weep and shout “What are you doing Coldplay?!”, but I’m a fan and I like this. On its own, perhaps I would take a step back, but this makes so much more sense in context of the album. It’s adds a completeness to the love story that Coldplay composed Mylo Xyloto on. I, however, don’t see this as much of a main album piece.

Up in Flames is a down-beat track which, I guess, suits as a consequential track to Princess of China. It’s driven by an 808 drum beat and is simple; maybe just a bit too bare for Coldplay? It’s definitely one of those that you have to bear with until it grows on you.

A Hopeful Transmission is just an intro to Don’t Let It Break Your Heart – a return to full on sound. It’s loud and gets you going again.

Up with the Birds has a personal touch to it. It’s strange and tuneful. A variety of musical influence and an interesting outro to an album that perhaps might feel hard to absorb at first, especially if you were expecting something resembling Coldplay’s past .

I can predict a mass of original Coldplay fans who aren’t going to be impressed. It goes without saying that when a band delves into the depths of the experimental abyss, its risky business and a nervous ride for a fan, but alas, you have to commend anyone for trying to escape the norm and zones of comfort. You can’t escape the exploration of synth that’s accompanied by orchestral strings. It’s the drive of the album.

In short, the choruses are bigger; the messages clearer. The lyrics are bright and cry of optimism for eternity. It’s a record about love and freedom and it certainly portrays them well. I’ll be listening to this a lot, for a long time.

http://www.entertainmentcocktail.com/2011/10/17/coldplay-mylo-xyloto/

Guest howyousawtheworld

Seems they've got it bang on stating that it will displease a mass amount of Coldplay fans!

Would have posted this earlier but got sidetracked by their review of Spielberg's new Tintin movie! 4 stars - looks good!

Seems they've got it bang on stating that it will displease a mass amount of Coldplay fans!

Would have posted this earlier but got sidetracked by their review of Spielberg's new Tintin movie! 4 stars - looks good!

Alright, I'm looking forward to Tintin!

Uh, it splits the fanbase indeed. I'm on the skeptical/displeased side of the fissure, but we can still all be friends, alright?

Guest howyousawtheworld
The first sentence of the review shows it perfectly.

And also the very last about the diversity and experimentation. Strange, that some people said Mylo Xyloto is so popish, while its definitely the opposite.

I've not heard the album but I'm fairly certain this is a pop record! And judging by the majority of the reviews, a very good pop record as well. Really looking forward to hear it in full on Monday.

The first sentence of the review shows it perfectly.

And also the very last about the diversity and experimentation. Strange, that some people said Mylo Xyloto is so popish, while its definitely the opposite.

It's both poppish and experimental, two things that aren't mutually exclusive. For example, the tunes and ooohs every song seems to contain can be seen as poppish, whether you like it or not.

It's both poppish and experimental, two things that aren't mutually exclusive. For example, the tunes and ooohs every song seems to contain can be seen as poppish, whether you like it or not.

Ok, this is something I can agree. I'm aware that there are perfect pop songs like Charlie Brown or Hurts Like Heaven but I can't understand some critics on Paradise for example which meant that Coldplay goes Mainstream like Black Eyed Peas, Gaga or Perry. There is a strong instrumental and experimental character in the song which describes nearly every song on the album perfectly and can't be seen as pure "Gaga-Pop".

Ok, this is something I can agree. I'm aware that there are perfect pop songs like Charlie Brown or Hurts Like Heaven but I can't understand some critics on Paradise for example which meant that Coldplay goes Mainstream like Black Eyed Peas, Gaga or Perry. There is a strong instrumental and experimental character in the song which describes nearly every song on the album perfectly and can't be seen as pure "Gaga-Pop".

Indeed, you're right. Still, Paradise sounds like it's ready for the charts from the first time you hear it. It's mostly experimental because it uses sounds Coldplay is not familiar with, but these sounds are not new to the hit lists.