✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Tell us how you feel about the 40/20/20/20 $ split

ichbineincoldplayer

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/moslive/article-2048220/Chris-Martin-Coldplay-Gwyneth-Paltrow-album.html

Like REM and U2, Coldplay operate as a democracy; all profits are shared equally (though Martin writes most of the songs) and in photographs or interviews, Martin refuses to be singled out. You talk to the band together or not at all

So much for that. :P

• 2 weeks later...

I really don't care except for the fact that bands who do share things equally do tend to last longer and have more line-up stability, both things I hope hold true for Coldplay. So in a sense I do care. Plus, in fairness, I don't rate Chris as highly in terms of relative importance to the band as a whole as most others would.

That said, it's still confusing to me, as Chris has done other interviews this year where he still claims an equal split. He also has a history of saying things in interviews that are either tongue in cheek or just plain never materialize. (like when he said in that radio interview that they would be giving away tracks from VLVODAAHF, or his many, many pronouncements of retirement.) You can never really tell with him. It also strikes me as odd that they would change this now, as IMHO Chris was much more central to the band's music in the early days (ie Parachutes) then he is now.

I also don't think it's wise to discount the musical contributions of the other 3 guys. Jonny, Guy and Will are all better musicians than they generally get credit for, and I think it's a mistake to say they're really any less important to the band than Chris. Also, absolutely no disrespect intended to Chris, but a substantial portion of the dislike some people have for the band (not musical dislike, mind) stems from their perception of Chris' personality and quirkiness.

That said, none of the other 3 strike me as pushovers and considering the fact that they could all do other projects at this point if they wanted, I highly suspect they all agreed to whatever arrangement they've got.

Really, however they want to divide their money is IMHO their business and none of mine (or anyone else's), I just hope it's mutual.