✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Gary Speed dies, aged 42

busybeeburns

_51163173_gary_speed_unhappy.huw.jpg

Wales manager Gary Speed confirmed dead

Wales football manager Gary Speed died.

His death was confirmed in a statement by the Football Association of Wales.

The statement said: "We extend our sympathies and condolences to the family. We ask that everyone respects the family's privacy at this very sad time."

Speed took over the Wales job in February, and earlier this month, said the side's rapid improvement had exceeded all expectations.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-15909277

s'alright, answered my own question

Wales manager Gary Speed confirmed deadWales football manager Gary Speed died.

His death was confirmed in a statement by the Football Association of Wales.

The statement said: "We extend our sympathies and condolences to the family. We ask that everyone respects the family's privacy at this very sad time."

Speed took over the Wales job in February, and earlier this month, said the side's rapid improvement had exceeded all expectations.

More to follow...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-15909277

The former Leeds, Everton, Newcastle and Bolton midfielder was found hanged at his home in Chester this morning.

Police say there are no supsicious circumstances surrounding the 42-year-old's death.

The Football Association of Wales confirmed the news, saying that Speed's family had authorised the release of the information.

A spokesman for Cheshire Police said: "At 7.08am this morning, sunday 27 November, police were informed of an incident at Aldford Road, Huntington. Officers went to the scene where a 42-year-old man was found dead. There are no suspicious circumstances surrounding the death and next of kind have been informed." The spokesman added that man was found hanged.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/8918628/Wales-boss-Gary-Speed-found-dead.html

Can't believe how angry I am at hearing of this. Utterly bloody sensless. Watched him at Bolton. Top professional. I suppose some players don't make the transition. But to leave a wife and 2 kids like this...
Makes you wonder what on earth could have caused him to want to hang himself. There was an interview with Alan Sheerer last night on the radio and apparently the week before they had been planning their next family holiday & nothing seemed wrong.

RIP

• 4 weeks later...

Horrible news, only just found out yesterday. I was always a fan of him.

Makes you wonder what on earth could have caused him to want to hang himself. There was an interview with Alan Sheerer last night on the radio and apparently the week before they had been planning their next family holiday & nothing seemed wrong.

RIP

Suicide is such an irrational decision that it cannot be rationalised. You can't apply the context of someone with healthy neurology into the head of a suicide victim. Very rarely is the cause environmental - usually there is something not quite working in the chemical state of the brain. The will to live is an inherent natural instinct that all humans are supposed to share. It's arguably one of our most primal instincts - and yet some people are able to forget all about it. It's horribly interesting.

I'm a third year medical student and I've learnt first hand quite a lot about the randomness and the chaos of suicide. I don't want to say too much - but let's just say someone can be looking, sounding and even sometimes feeling fine before they do it.

The result leaves a lot of people behind who are heartbroken, confused, angry and sometimes completely beside themselves.

I've learnt not even to bother trying to get into the head space of the person at the time. I just can't do it - because I've never suffered from depression or any other anxiety/neurological defect.

• 1 month later...

?m=02&d=20120130&t=2&i=564534213&w=460&fh=&fw=&ll=&pl=&r=2012-01-30T165737Z_1_BTRE80T1B4700_RTROPTP_0_SOCCER-EURO

Gary Speed spoke of taking life in text message

(Reuters) - Gary Speed talked "in terms of taking his life" in a text message to his wife only days before he died, the former Wales manager's widow told an inquest hearing on Monday.

Louise Speed told the hearing in Warrington, north-west England, that he had dismissed it however because of their children.

Speed, 42, was found hanged in the garage of his house in Huntington, near Chester, on November 27. Police said at the time that there were no suspicious circumstances.

The coroner - who rules on unexplained deaths in England - recorded a narrative verdict, which does not attribute a definite cause. The coroner said Speed died by hanging but there was not enough evidence to say whether it was accidental or intentional.

The BBC and Sky television quoted his widow as saying they had an "exchange of words" on the night before he died and she had spent the night in their car after going for a drive and then being unable to get into the house when she returned at around 1.30 a.m.

Crying as she recalled the events, Louise Speed said she had found the body in the morning and tried in vain to revive him. He did not leave a note.

The doctor who worked with Sheffield United, Speed's last club before taking the Wales job in 2010, told the hearing that he had shown no sign of any mental health problems.

Speed and his wife had also attended a dinner party on the night before he died, with the manager jokingly pushed into a swimming pool and appearing in good spirits.

His mother Carol was quoted as saying in a written statement that her son was a "half-empty person" and "certainly no optimist" and that receiving the news of his death had been the worst moment of her life.

Speed played for Leeds United, Everton, Newcastle United, Bolton Wanderers and Sheffield United in a playing career that spanned 22 seasons.

With Leeds he won the last first division title in 1992 and retired after making 535 appearances in the Premier League. He was capped 85 times by Wales, who named Chris Coleman as his successor as manager earlier this month.

Speed's family issued a statement after the inquest hearing.

"At this time we wish to reiterate our deep appreciation for the very generous and clearly sincere accolades paid to Gary and his memory by the public and all forms of the media. We remain especially grateful for the sympathetic way that the media has respected the family's privacy," the statement said.

"Finally, our thanks go to the FA of Wales which has arranged the Gary Speed Memorial Match against Costa Rica at the Cardiff City Stadium on Wednesday 29th February. This will give everyone whose lives were touched and enriched by Gary's achievements the opportunity to attend, celebrate his life and pay their final respects. We look forward to seeing you there."

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2012/01/30/uk-soccer-england-speed-idUKTRE80T19N20120130