✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Would you take part in an ULTIMATE COLDPLAY SONG TOURNAMENT?

TwistedPolitik

I'm currently doing this on a Muse site and taking part in one on a U2 site too. Basically it'd work like this:

Round 1 - Stage 1 would be made up of Don't Panic, Politik, Square One, Life in Technicolour, Life in Technicolour II and Mylo Xyloto/Hurts Like Heaven. Everyone votes for two songs and the two highest voted songs will carry over into Round 2.

Round 1 - Stage 2 would be made up of track two from each album and EP and so on, you get the picture.

So. Would anyone be interested in taking part?

How would you deal with the problem that some albums have more songs than others?

Assuming you would include hidden tracks: Parachutes has 11, AROBTTH has 11, X&Y has 13, Viva has 13, PM only has 8, MX has 11 (not counting the interludes).

Also, would B-Sides be taken into consideration?

I would be up for taking part, but I need these things clarifying :)

How would you deal with the problem that some albums have more songs than others?

Assuming you would include hidden tracks: Parachutes has 11, AROBTTH has 11, X&Y has 13, Viva has 13, PM only has 8, MX has 11 (not counting the interludes).

Also, would B-Sides be taken into consideration?

I would be up for taking part, but I need these things clarifying :)

I'd include secret takes yep. And I'd include b-sides to round it off to an even number. I've managed to make it work on my Muse tournament and they have around an even number of songs as Coldplay I'd say (both have five albums, with about 11 songs on each).

I have another question about this. When you say you will include B-Sides, will you just stick them on to the end of their corresponding albums? Or will you pad out the middle of each album with B-Sides (where necessary) to ensure that all the album closers are in the same round as each other? I think the latter would be a better idea. Of course, if you've already got it all planned out and it's worked on other sites then I'm sure you know what you're doing :)

I think it's lame to compare albums by songs paired up merely according to their track numbers. It's completely random and you get uneven groups, some with a lot of "strong" songs and others with weaker ones. I suggest ranking songs from every album by awarding 1-11 points and then comparing songs from the lowest ranked to the highest.

Also, the EP should not be here. Why sould it be considered and not the pre-Parachutes EPs? VLV should be evened to 11 songs by promoting one song to a standalone track (I suggest Reign Of Love) and replacing LIT with LIT II. Two lowest rated songs from X&Y should be cut off. Or automatically disqualifying the bonus track and probably The Hardest Part since it's widely considered to be the weakest.

What do you think about my suggestions? I think that THAT would be the ultimate tournament. ;)

I think it's lame to compare albums by songs paired up merely according to their track numbers. It's completely random and you get uneven groups, some with a lot of "strong" songs and others with weaker ones. I suggest ranking songs from every album by awarding 1-11 points and then comparing songs from the lowest ranked to the highest.

Also, the EP should not be here. Why sould it be considered and not the pre-Parachutes EPs? VLV should be evened to 11 songs by promoting one song to a standalone track (I suggest Reign Of Love) and replacing LIT with LIT II. Two lowest rated songs from X&Y should be cut off. Or automatically disqualifying the bonus track and probably The Hardest Part since it's widely considered to be the weakest.

What do you think about my suggestions? I think that THAT would be the ultimate tournament. ;)

I'll have y'all noobs know that we had several of these song tournaments several years ago, but using a bracket system (following a nomination process) that stands up much better as far as accuracy and fairness goes.

That is the entire point. The weaker songs would be cut off. It's in later rounds that better songs will be facing against each other. I have already said I will include as many Coldplay songs as possible, so don't cry, your precious pre-Parachutes material will make an appearance.

That is the entire point. The weaker songs would be cut off. It's in later rounds that better songs will be facing against each other. I have already said I will include as many Coldplay songs as possible, so don't cry, your precious pre-Parachutes material will make an appearance.

Lolwut? I hardly ever listen to it.

Mkay... Carry on...

Yet you take part in this n00b tournament.

why not?

Wait to completely ignore the obvious criticism that the more popular coldplay songs tend appear in the same parts of albums, thus you have the scientist, fix you, and charlie brown in one round, and then yellow, clocks, lovers in japan, and talk in the next. I am quite sure that all of these are probably among the top 10 most popular coldplay songs, meaning the 'final' will probably be a very uninteresting contest.

Second, in your description you didn't give any impression that pre-parachutes or b-sides would be included. So how will it happen?

I was going to include b-sides and older material after I'd run out of Prospekt's March material and as each album runs out of tracks I'll include b-sides to replace them until I've used every Coldplay song (to my knowledge, I'll be checking Wikipedia to make sure I've missed none). But someone said earlier it may be best to incorporate non-album tracks sooner than that. I don't see the advantage of that, but fair enough.

I was going to include b-sides and older material after I'd run out of Prospekt's March material and as each album runs out of tracks I'll include b-sides to replace them until I've used every Coldplay song (to my knowledge, I'll be checking Wikipedia to make sure I've missed none). But someone said earlier it may be best to incorporate non-album tracks sooner than that. I don't see the advantage of that, but fair enough.

Well the difficulty is that there are a pitload of b-sides and E.P. tracks (an avg. of 6 or 7 per album, 3 from safety, 3 from bros & sisters, 3 more new ones from blue room), meaning you'll be going for a ton of rounds after the albums are finished if you want to be comprehensive. Might then make more sense to go by release (X&y b-sides in one group etc.). But I hope you paid more attention to the first criticism.

So you think I should balance it out more with b-sides and the like? Because I've already got the later groups planned out for when b-sides come into it and they're mixed in with album tracks too. There are barely any rounds which are all b-sides.

I really have no idea what your plan will look like, so do whatev. itcho baby.