✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Indianapolis Colts to release Peyton Manning

Peyton Manning's 14-year career as a member of the Indianapolis Colts is coming to an end.

Sources close to the team told ESPN senior NFL analyst Chris Mortensen that the announcement will come at a news conference in Indianapolis on Wednesday with both Manning and owner Jim Irsay in attendance.

AFC South blog

ESPN.com's Paul Kuharsky writes about all things AFC South in his division blog.

• Blog network: NFL Nation

The decision to pass on the $28 million bonus owed Manning and not to pick up the four remaining years on his contract means Manning will become a free agent, and sources told Mortensen that he intends to continue to play.

The four-time league MVP missed the entire 2011 season after having his third neck surgery in 19 months, a fusion of two vertebrae. His doctors have medically cleared him to resume his career and Manning has increased his throwing regimen.

Several sources have told ESPN during the past month that Manning's throwing strength has dramatically improved as his nerves continue to regenerate following his latest neck surgery Sept. 8. Dr. Robert Watkins, who performed the single-level cervical fusion, has stated publicly that he has cleared Manning to resume his playing career.

Manning has broken all of Indianapolis' career records for quarterbacks and had never missed a start before last season. He's taken the Colts to the playoffs 11 times, captured seven AFC South titles in eight years, won two AFC championships, one Super Bowl title and a Super Bowl MVP Award.

The Colts have the No. 1 overall pick in April's draft and are likely to draft former Stanford quarterback Andrew Luck or former Baylor quarterback Robert Griffin III.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

I cant tell you how happy this makes me as a Colts fan.

I will always adore Manning but keeping him would kill this team.

I literally cant wait until the Colts move forward and hopefully get Luck.

It's a shame I've only managed to watch one season with #18 wearing the Colts jersey. I'll be forever grateful for what he did to his franchise. But now the old king is dead, long live the king! Thank you, Greatest Of All Time, and welcome Luck!

EDIT: I HAVE to buy a Manning jersey. And a Luck one too.

I heard rumors a while back that the Jags would trade their 1st rounder for Tebow. I hope they do it. Would be hysterical!

OMG, that might actually be a genius move for them with Jacksonville being so close to Gainesville. Two of my best friends in college were/are your stereotypical Gators fan turned Broncos (really just Tebow) fans. I have no doubt that they would each buy multiple Jags tickets if he does go there.