✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Exchange program

Megalomania

So, as most of you probably know, I'm highly anti-social and don't make friends easily. However, there's an opportunity in my school to be part of a one-sided exchange program with a German school - basically, we host them when they come over here. We have our own version of that with another school in Germany, where we go over there for a few weeks and stuff but it's not a direct exchange.

I don't know if I'd be a good host for an exchange student though, and I'm worrying about that. :| It would be for two weeks, and they'd go to school with us two times each week and then most of the rest of the time would be spent on little trips like day trips to NYC and stuff. They'd sleep in our houses and we'd feed them when they're home, but it's actually pretty independent. Both weekends are free from trips so we'd have to find stuff for them to do. :|

But yeah, I'm really not that social and I'm pretty shy and I get all scared that people judge me and whatnot so I really don't know if I should participate but at the same time if I didn't I'm sure I'd regret it. D:

Wat do. :bigcry:

That sounds awesome!

I have a friend who does these exchange trips to Germany all the time (why is it always to Germany...hmm) and she says she adores it. She's the one going though, not hosting.

I think it would be a more comfortable situation if you are trying to make a new friend or something, because you don't have to struggle speaking a new language and try to conform to a new culture, you just have someone over as your guest :)

Why would he/she judge you? First of all, as a guest, he/she (let's make it a guy :uhoh:) is kinda expected to be polite to you. And over time he will warm up to you and your family. And having him around the house means you can hang out a lot. You can even take him to a place you like or sit and chat/listen to music/play games when he has some spare time.

Overall, it's your mom's decision, as she's the one who decides who's in the house, but to me it sounds like you wanna do it, and there's not really anything to lose, just an interesting experience and most likely making a new friend :wacko:

I would do it. Even if it's super awkward or whatever it helps you -- and the other person -- grow and learn more about one another.

I don't know why you'd regret it. I know a lot of people with a lot of different personalities who have gone on an exchange trip or have hosted someone else and it was always a seemingly positive experience for both parties involved.

And you think YOU will be awkward? How about the other person who is traveling from Germany, in a new place and stuff? They'll be totally reliant on you for friendship and stuff to do. It would probably be really easy to make friends with him or her.

A German school? Cool I'd like to know where it is. Well, I can understand your worries. You could try it and who knows maybe it is a good opportunity for you to find out if you are really THAT anti social. Sometimes things like that show you that things aren't as difficult as you thought you just need to be brave. But I know that it is easy to say something like that. Do what you feel like doing but don't force yourself to do it :)

That sounds awesome!

I have a friend who does these exchange trips to Germany all the time (why is it always to Germany...hmm) and she says she adores it. She's the one going though, not hosting.

I think it would be a more comfortable situation if you are trying to make a new friend or something, because you don't have to struggle speaking a new language and try to conform to a new culture, you just have someone over as your guest :)

Why would he/she judge you? First of all, as a guest, he/she (let's make it a guy :uhoh:) is kinda expected to be polite to you. And over time he will warm up to you and your family. And having him around the house means you can hang out a lot. You can even take him to a place you like or sit and chat/listen to music/play games when he has some spare time.

Overall, it's your mom's decision, as she's the one who decides who's in the house, but to me it sounds like you wanna do it, and there's not really anything to lose, just an interesting experience and most likely making a new friend :wacko:

Because Germany's amazing. :wacky:

That's true. :thinking: Although, they are going to be speaking English most, if not all the time. And the reason we're setting this up so early (the exchange would take place in October) is because the German students' teacher wants us to correspond a bit, and get to know each other. So I guess that would make it less awkward, unless we have absolutely nothing in common. D:

I think what I'm most worried about is the fact that I'm basically going to be representing their view of Americans. D: But the thing is, I really don't know what we'd do in spare time and stuff. I mean, to be honest, most of my free time is spent on my computer on the internet, and that's a very solitary thing. Although I suppose we could find stuff to do.

Yeah, my mom's all for it (her parents were born and raised in Germany, she spoke German when she grew up, etc.). My dad is on the fence, but I'm about 90% sure my mom can convince him. :P He's from NYC, so he's always paranoid about strangers, even though exchange students are usually the best people in the school.

I would do it. Even if it's super awkward or whatever it helps you -- and the other person -- grow and learn more about one another.

I don't know why you'd regret it. I know a lot of people with a lot of different personalities who have gone on an exchange trip or have hosted someone else and it was always a seemingly positive experience for both parties involved.

And you think YOU will be awkward? How about the other person who is traveling from Germany, in a new place and stuff? They'll be totally reliant on you for friendship and stuff to do. It would probably be really easy to make friends with him or her.

Yeah I really doubt I'd regret it, but it's more so me getting over my social awkwardness. :|

Haha that's true, I suppose that because we're going to spend so much time together we'll eventually find something in common. :wacko:

A German school? Cool I'd like to know where it is. Well, I can understand your worries. You could try it and who knows maybe it is a good opportunity for you to find out if you are really THAT anti social. Sometimes things like that show you that things aren't as difficult as you thought you just need to be brave. But I know that it is easy to say something like that. Do what you feel like doing but don't force yourself to do it :)

The one that we go to? I believe it's in Bad Reichenhall, or at least somewhere near that. :nice:

Thanks. :hug: I think I'll be able to do it if I just stop worrying so much. :P At least a few of my friends are doing it too, so we'll probably spend some days with us and our exchange partners hanging out and whatnot. :thinking:

I think what I'm most worried about is the fact that I'm basically going to be representing their view of Americans

So? You're very funny and polite!

Do you think if you both don't agree on something he will make it his life mission to reject anything American and destroy every American on the planet?

Besides, even if he does meet an asshole on his day trips to NYC, he will like you and that's what matters.

So? You're very funny and polite!

Do you think if you both don't agree on something he will make it his life mission to reject anything American and destroy every American on the planet?

Besides, even if he does meet an asshole on his day trips to NYC, he will like you and that's what matters.

Haha, my charming sense of humor. :charming: :P

That's true, I'm sure they've met odder people than me just in their own school. :surprised:

Lol I'm sure he'll meet someone that's such a New Yorker that I'll look like an angel. :lol:

Is your best friend (or at least a very good friend) part of the exchange programme as well? You could always team up with him/her and hang out together with your guest students and go to trips together. At least that's what people at our school did.