✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Fora VS. FB: The accidental discussion thread.

TraceOddity

I'll keep my original post, for the sake of the Jonny love, but this post sparked a discussion about how social media is drawing people away from fora like CP'ing. Worthy topic, imo, so I'm changing the title and hoping it gets moved out of the Instrument Room.

O.P:

There are a few fan pages on FB, but they're more general. We'd like this to be more specifically aboiut Jonny, his gear and his style. Not a 'fangirly' page. Pleas join if you're interested. :)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/160631967399172/160644897397879/?notif_t=group_activity

It's mostly for non-forum members gasp*, but I didn't think it could hurt putting it here too. It's not like Facebook is any competition to this place. ;)

EDIT: And to be fair, I didn't create the group and was asked to post it here. Just trying to be nice.

It's mostly for non-forum members gasp*, but I didn't think it could hurt putting it here too. It's not like Facebook is any competition to this place. ;)
Facebook is the BIGGEST competition, and its sucking the life out of forums all across the internet! Can you tell it's a source of irritation to this forum owner yet? :dozey:

of course it has, otherwise we would be losing even more to FB than we do now. I've seen the stats across this forum over the last few years and social media is steadily eating away at forums like this one. Next time someone asks you to promote a FB group ask them to think how it might affect traffic away from independent sites :)

of course it has, otherwise we would be losing even more to FB than we do now. I've seen the stats across this forum over the last few years and social media is steadily eating away at forums like this one. Next time someone asks you to promote a FB group think how it might affect traffic away from independent sites :)

No problem. I'm (as you know) a huge fan of Jonny's (not in a fangurly way, despite my humour) and the more places to discuss what he does, the better, imo. But I didn't know the stats. i will happy point people there to here if you like.

In the meantime, just deelte this. I'm feeling bad and hurt that my only recent interaction with you is to get chewed out for trying to be helpful. I won't post here again.

Facebook is a bit of a Big Box, isn't it? Still it's a good place to advertise the forum. You've got new members from fb as surely as you've lost old ones.

And some people just don't like fora. God knows why.

Anyway. I'll plug here when I'm there. :)

Yeah, I agree. The population here actually increased a little with the release of MX, then seemed to decrease again. And it's my least favorite album, but I'm still here.

Hell, I've left this place twice now, but can't keep away.

To be fair though, a forum is a very closed placer. You really get to know people, and sometimes that means fights and politics. FB is much more impersonal, and therefore 'safe'. Some people probably just prefer that distance.

And (shakes with fear,lol.) there are one or two banned ones who still like to talk about the band on fb.

This is an interesting topic, so how 'bout you move it to an appropriate place and I change the title?

^Actually, to me Facebook is the opposite. But that's because of the use I make of it: I only interact there with people I know from real life, and when I joined groups I wouldn't interact with the members. But it was at the time when there was way less "pages" and groups were pretty random, about everything and contained thousands of members. I've never joined groups to get involved in them.

Twitter, however, is the social media where I feel "safe", because my tweets are in the middle of thousands of tweets, so I feel like nothing can happen to me.

And then Oxfamontour tweets me back and I feel a bit embarrassed :lol::rolleyes:

If you hang out a lot in the forum, yes, I totally get what you mean, it's a very a "closed placer", as you say :nod:

That's quite an interesting topic indeed!

Funny, I feel more 'exposed' on Twitter. There's the risk that a total stranger could read and reply. It's happened, for good and bad. But the same thing happens here, only it feels more comfortable because we're all here for the same basic reason.

OK, Mods. I'm changing the title, so move this sucker out of The Instrument Room. Let's have a chat. :)