✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

[10-Nov-2012] Coldplay @ Mt Smart Stadium, Auckland, New Zealand

God Put A Smile Upon Your Face

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAicXNMvMoc]Coldplay Auckland 10/11/12 - God Put A Smile On Your Face - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5lJt3s7Rlk]Coldplay - Got Put a Smile Upon Your Face - Auckland NZ. 10/11/12 - YouTube[/ame]

Warning sign

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdoEA0lNdT4]Coldplay Auckland NZ 10/11/12 "Warning Sign" - YouTube[/ame]

(end of UATW) Speed Of Sound

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FaDLZ89zsI]Coldplay - Acoustic set at Mt Smart Stadium, Auckland 10-11-12 Part 2 - YouTube[/ame]

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My personal review:

I haven't been on this forum for a little while although did join back in 2005.

Anyway, I made the trip up to Auckland from Wellington with my partner on Thursday night and we stayed with her parents. I went to the last Coldplay concert here in 2009 (unfortunately they didn't make it to NZ on the X&Y tour before that for some reason) and for my partner it was her first Coldplay concert.

Saturday was a glorious day. Absolutely perfect weather for an outdoor concert. Unfortunately Mt Smart Stadium is in a very inconvenient part of Auckland. You cannot really park anywhere near the area but luckily there were free event trains and buses so we borrowed a car from her parents and drove into town, parked and then head down to the free train. Arrived at the stadium about 6.40ish. I bought a programme and then we were handed our wristbands - I got a yellow one which I felt was quite appropriate while she got blue. The Pierces began at 6.45 while we were checking out merchandise (resulting in me forking ou a ridiculous sum for t-shirt each) and then purchasing something for dinner as we figured this was the best time rather than joing the mad rush between Temper Trap and Coldplay.

Made it to our seats (Lower East stand) just after 7. The Pierces were ok but the sound was awful. They seemed to have the instruments turned up much too loud so you couldn't hear the voices at all. They finished about 7.25 and the Temper Trap came on 10 minutes later. They had the sound much better although I still felt the instruments were a bit loud. I hadn't heard of them before and they were pretty good although I found the singer's voice a bit weird. About 8.25 we decided to nip out for a last toilet visit and 1 more drink just before what we guessed would be the last song. Turned out to be a good decision as they finished while we were heading back to our seats and queues were already massive.

Onto the main event. About 9 Jay-Z's 99 Problems burst out of the speakers and we wondered whether we had turned up on the wrong night! Then the Back to the Future theme and then as Coldplay emerged onto the stage our wristbands suddenly began flashing. There was a quite audbile gasp around the stadium and a chorus of whoas. It was an incredible effect and Hurts Like Heaven was a great way to start. In My Place was next and this was a real highlight for me with Chris running down to the end of the catwalk in front of the stage and throwing himself up in the air during the chorus while confetti rained down around him. The sound was absolutely perfect with every instrument and word being heard clearly.

Chris knew how to get the audience on side thanking us for "getting through the traffic and ticket prices and coming from other cities and the South Island" and then promising to "play the best fucking concert of our lives."

The Scientist soon followed and this was probably my number 1 highlight of the night. My favourite song and with the whole audience singing along to the chorus it was incredible. Then came Yellow with Chris signgin the first verse in a slow piano version then getting up and dedicating it to 2 recent NZ disasters - "This is for Pike River and Christchurch. This is Yellow," and began from the start with the usual version. For those who don't know, Pike River being a mine disaster a couple of years ago killing 29 men and I assume the Christchurch earthquake which killed 185 made the news in most places. It was a nice moment.

God Put a Smile Upon Your face was a great addition which they didn't play last time. They messed up the hardout guitar bit near the end which I don't think anyone notice but they stopped, Chris apologised for "fucking it up" and they started again. Princess of China has not been one of my favourites but was very well down with Rihanna on the big screen. The real highlight for everyone was of course Viva La Vida which brought everyone in the stands to their feet and noone sat down again for the rest of the night. At the end of the song Chris collapsed exhausted at the end of the catwalk while the crowd continued on with "oh oh oh oh ohhhhhhhhhhhhh" for a good couple more minutes.

They finished off with Paradise which was another I was really looking forward to and it didn't disappoint with the wristbands giving great effect. And off they went for a few minutes before returning, this time on a platform in the middle of the general admission audience to which Chris said "we can't come all the way to New Zealand without going to the back of the crowd can we?" They played a nice acoustic version of Speed of Sound followed by the beautiful Us Against the World before running back through the crowd to the stage. My partner asked if I thought they were finished but I said "they haven't done Clocks yet so can't be" and sure enough that came next, followed by an incredible version of Fix You which everyone sung every word too. Finally they finished off with Every Tear Drop is a Waterfall which made for a great rocking finale. Chris thanked the audience for "giving us the best job in the world" and the 4 of them really did look the best of mates. And with that they were gone and we could catch our breath back.

It was absolutelt incredible. No words can possible do it justice. The 2009 show was amazing but there's just something about being in an outdoor stadium that makes it extra special. It was without a doubt the best concert I've been too, even ahead of Oasis at Wembley Stadium in 2009 which was a lifelon dream of mine to attend and I described it as the best night of my life at the time. Truly unbelieveable.

I feel sorry for every future concert I attend because now everything has to be compared to this.

Only downside of the night was exiting the stadium as stadium management had decided to close all but one gate and force all 40,000+ people through the one exit. Was a little bit scary at times and it could easily have been a Hillsborough type situation. Once through the gate it was fine though.

I'll get some photos up over the next couple of days.

The setlist was as per the recent part of the tour:

1."Mylo Xyloto" (contains elements of "Back to the Future Overture") (Instrumental Introduction)

2."Hurts Like Heaven"

3."In My Place"

4."Major Minus"

5."Lovers in Japan"

6."The Scientist"

7."Yellow"

8."Violet Hill"

9."God Put a Smile upon Your Face"

10."Princess of China"

11."Up in Flames"

12."Warning Sign"

13."A Hopeful Transmission" (Instrumental Interlude)

14."Don't Let It Break Your Heart"

15."Viva la Vida"

16."Charlie Brown"

17."Paradise"

Encore

18."Us Against the World"

19."Speed of Sound"

20."Clocks"

21."Fix You"

22."M.M.I.X." (Instrumental Interlude)

23."Every Teardrop Is a Waterfall

Fan fury at poor control

SCCZEN_155966539_460x230.jpg

Crowd procedures will be reviewed after fans said they were crushed and feared for their lives at last week's Coldplay concert.

About 40,000 people packed into the Auckland Council-run Mt Smart Stadium last Saturday.

People who had queued outside for hours to ensure a prime spot said they were trampled in the rush when the doors opened.

"I expected a properly managed route to the arena but instead the gates suddenly opened and a security guy told everyone to 'go for it'," said Justin Susans, 19, a student at the University of Auckland.

"Thousands of people started pouring through a small gate and in the charge some people fell over and there was a lot of pushing. It was like a mad stampede.

"There was no proper organisation."

Emily Edkins, 18, from Beachlands, said she was frightened. "It had real potential for disaster and I heard a lot of people also had problems getting out of the ground at the end. It marred a brilliant concert."

Robert Domm, chief executive of the council's Regional Facilities arm, said: "Frankly, we will be conducting a debrief and reviewing some of our procedures to improve access and egress.

"We take the concerns and feedback of patrons very seriously and we need to do this better the next time."

link

Think it's the only concert I've been to where I can't think of a single song that was left out but should have been included. Everything essential was played. Even a week or so later now I still can't really come up with anything major that was left out. Maybe it would have been nice to get Trouble or another early song as we only got Yellow from Parachutes but the setlist was absolutely perfect.

• 2 weeks later...

It's been a whirlwind weekend as Mrs. Roddus and myself got flown up to Auckland to attend Coldplay's only New Zealand concert on their "MYLO XYLOTO" world tour. Mrs. Roddus was dead keen to go see them play when she found about this concert several months ago, and although I have enjoyed Coldplay over they years and have their first three albums on CD, I had lost interest in them and wouldn't have bothered if Mrs. Roddus wasn't so excited about seeing them live.

This was my first trip to Auckland itself, except several times through the airport onto more far flung destinations, and fortunately this whole expedition, concert included, was organised by my Electrical wholesalers, which meant accommodation and transportation was all arranged as well as corporate VIP passes to the concert itself. This meant that we had about 5 hours after arriving at our hotel to see a bit of Auckland before we were whisked off to Mt Smart Stadium for the gig. Our short time was spent on a short stroll up Queen St for Mrs. Roddus to check out some shops and where I could pop into JB HIFI, as we had been told it was the biggest CD shop and Auckland and I was hoping to find some John Zorn CDs there(No chance, but did get some Sun Ra though). We jumped on the ferry and shot over to Devonport for lunch and a short ride on a horse drawn buggy before coming back across to prepare for the concert.

We were picked up from our hotel by bus about 5:30PM and whizzed along the motorways to Mt Smart Stadium, getting to our box about 6:30 where we were presented with out VIP concert package of a tour book of art work and song lyrics in a cool bag and both a vinyl and CD copy of the New Coldplay Album "Mylo Xyloto" packaged in the book, very cool.We settled in with drinks and watched the crowd pour in while the first support band started their set very soon after.The stage set up and speaker systems were very impressive and no doubt state of the art for a stadium band of this calibre but as is usual for rock concerts the sound was very very loud. I don't mind loud but at this volume it makes it difficult to separate out the sounds of individual instruments and hear clearly what the singers are singing or saying, and for groups like both support groups, The female fronted The Pierces, from the USA and The Temper Trap from Australia, it makes it a bit more difficult to apprise their music when you are unfamiliar with it as I am. Neither group impressed me enough to want to explore their music any further but did give me time to acclimatise my ears ready for Coldplay.

Coldplay came on at 9PM and instantly dazzled the 47000 strong crowd with one of the best light shows I have seen, especially with the LED light arm bands that we all wore lighting up an impressive site. With fire works and balloons and confetti snow storms and inflatable blobs rounding out the gimmicks they certainly impressed and entertained me from that angle. The music, although almost overpoweringly loud was still mostly recognisable and the band played their hearts out and put on a magnificent show and had the crowd all worked up like the professionals they are. One part of the show, near the end, the group relocated to a small stage towards the back of the stadium quite near us and played a number from there. A good idea.

After playing most of our favourite songs and some good stuff from the latest album, which I am quite impressed with, they finished the show the same way they started with a nice set of fireworks from behind the stage. It all went off very well with the crowd responding the weather holding and the music booming. Overall a worthwhile experience and Mrs. Roddus loved it, and that's the main thing. [thanks BlogRoddus] [6]

Not long after we arrived in Auckland, my boss mentioned Coldplay were playing in one of the arenas in Auckland and tickets were going to be for sale. In the UK, I would have passed the opportunity by, partly because I’m not Coldplay’s biggest fan (I last bought one of their albums in 2008) and also because one would have to travel a fair distance to see them. However not so in Auckland, they were playing just down the road (kind of), so we grabbed the bull by its horns and bought our tickets. I didn’t know what to expect, the last big rock gig I went to in a stadium, was London in the year… [yikes, a while ago...]. Coldplay were awesome, your whole body rocked as the guitar and drums rattled through your body. Everyone was given a bracelet which became part of the show and glowed different colours for some of the songs, which looked like ickle lickle glow worms. Chris Martyn(?) seemed delighted to be in Auckland and really played the crowd well. Seemed like a nice bloke. I had a brilliant boogie, and loved the fact I could sing along VERY LOUDLY and VERY UNTUNEFULLY to my heart’s content. When I noticed myself doing star jumps (with different poses mid flight) when the bright white lights came on to the beat in one of the rockier numbers, I knew I was having a jolly good time. I was 18 all over again. Mrs. E and I well and truly ROCKED IT with those Coldplay chaps… Auckland, yup, again, you surpassed yourself. http://2hoomansandaspanielinnz.wordpress.com/2012/11/15/rocking-it-with-coldplay/

• 3 months later...