Paradise

Us Against The World

Speed Of Sound

Clocks

Fix You

Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall

Coldplay – Mt Smart Stadium November 10, 2012

cp-26.jpg?w=990

It’s been quite a week and a half for live music here in Auckland…Mumford & Sons, The Black Keys, Ben Harper and Radiohead…and now the biggest show of the bunch, Coldplay at Mt Smart Stadium. With the technological showcase that Radiohead displayed at The Vector this past Tuesday, I was interested to see how Coldplay’s arena show stacked up against Radiohead’s. Well, for one thing, they started with a bang.

Usually the fireworks are saved for the encore, but Chris Martin and company had them shooting skyward right from the start. And that wasn’t all, there were lasers, there was confetti, there were balloons and there were wristbands that flashed in the dark. Every member of the audience was given a wristband as the entered the stadium and encouraged to wear it as it was “part of the show”. Sure enough after a few minutes of hearing Jay-Z’s 99 Problems, the lights abruptly went out and the wrist bands all began flashing with the band’s very first notes. It looked incredible.

During In My Places cannons were firing off confetti throughout the venue. During Lovers In Japan the balloons came out. There was certainly plenty to see, even if the band itself looked tiny at the far end of the stadium.

Sound-wise, things weren’t so impressive. Where I was sitting, about halfway back along the side, the vocals were mostly unintelligible and the music was muddy. It’s a shame as much care and effort wasn’t put into the music as the special effects.

I must say, no one seemed to mind. There was plenty of singing along and clapping and cheering. The songs from Coldplay’s latest, Mylo Xyloto, sound like they were written for stadiums with loads of “whoas” and “Ooooos” throughout the songs. And they performed just about the entire album.

Of course there were the old favourites as well…Yellow got an early airing as did The Scientist and Vive La Vida had everyone up and singing.

Chris Martin seemed determined to be everywhere at once, running cheerily from one end of the stage to the other, up the middle ramp and eventually to the rear of the stadium. In addition to the main stage, the band set up on a smaller stage further into the crowd for several songs beginning with Princess Of China, which also featured a video appearance by Rihanna.

Then, for the encore, Martin, and eventually the rest of the band appeared on another smaller stage at the rear of the stadium playing an acoustic version of Us Against The World, which was, for me, one of the musical high points.

Although this is a show that has been playing around the world for some time, with the identical set list performed each time, Martin did try to inject some spontaneity into the proceedings. He dedicated Yellow to Christchurch and thanked the many fans who had come from all over the country, particularly the South Island.

At one point they stopped God Put A Smile Upon Your Face and re-started it, apologizing that they had messed it up. I have my doubts. It seemed to sound the same both times, and they have apparently pulled this stunt at previous shows.

After performing Fix You as the fourth song of the encores, Martin asked if we wanted one more song…as if there was any stopping him. There were still more fireworks, more lasers and more lights to flicker before we were send off into the night.

The many fans in attendance looked like they loved the show. For me, I found the music rather uninspiring…which is the opposite of the effect they were aiming for. Plus, they just seem a bit too eager to please and the special effects showed that they were willing to go to any length to do just that.

There seemed to be a lot of pre-recorded music mixed with the live instruments and I couldn’t help but feel I was being manipulated in some way.

I’m sure I was in the minority, and it’s always good to see so many folks enjoying music together. I’m afraid I wasn’t one of them this time.

link

cp-8.jpg?w=700&h=

cp-50.jpg?w=700&h=

cp-26.jpg?w=700&h=

cp-42.jpg?w=700&h=

cp-49.jpg?w=700&h=

cp-48.jpg?w=700&h=

cp-31.jpg?w=700&h=

cp-4.jpg?w=700&h=

cp-23.jpg?w=700&h=

cp-1.jpg?w=700&h=

cp-2.jpg?w=700&h=

cp-27.jpg?w=700&h=

cp-7.jpg?w=700&h=

cp-11.jpg?w=700&h=

cp-33.jpg?w=700&h=

cp-6.jpg?w=700&h=

cp-18.jpg?w=700&h=

cp-3.jpg?w=700&h=

cp-25.jpg?w=700&h=

cp-40.jpg?w=700&h=

cp-41.jpg?w=700&h=

cp-34.jpg?w=700&h=

cp-20.jpg?w=700&h=

cp-35.jpg?w=700&h=

cp-19.jpg?w=700&h=

cp-46.jpg?w=700&h=

cp-12.jpg?w=700&h=

cp-9.jpg?w=700&h=

cp-47.jpg?w=700&h=

cp-26.jpg?w=700&h=

cp-24.jpg?w=700&h=

cp-10.jpg?w=700&h=

cp-37.jpg?w=700&h=

cp-30.jpg?w=700&h=

cp-45.jpg?w=700&h=

cp-28.jpg?w=700&h=

cp-17.jpg?w=700&h=

cp-14.jpg?w=700&h=

cp-22.jpg?w=700&h=

cp-16.jpg?w=700&h=

cp-5.jpg?w=700&h=

cp-21.jpg?w=700&h=

cp-39.jpg?w=700&h=

cp-13.jpg?w=700&h=

cp-43.jpg?w=700&h=

cp-38.jpg?w=700&h=

cp-29.jpg?w=700&h=

cp-32.jpg?w=700&h=

cp-15.jpg?w=700&h=

cp-36.jpg?w=700&h=

"There seemed to be a lot of pre-recorded music mixed with the live instruments and I couldn’t help but feel I was being manipulated in some way... They just seem a bit too eager to please and the special effects showed that they were willing to go to any length to do just that."

I think there's alot of truth in these two statements (not so much about being manipulated) and think its time for a bit of a change in the way they make their music and perform it onstage. i.e much more acoustically and freely arranged like a real band.

542850_487953927911137_906728488_n.jpg

Spotted in Auckland on Friday : Chris Martin of Coldplay working up a sweat and showing a bit of skin as he pounded the pavement around the CBD.

link

Coldplay rockers choose city jog over freebies

SCCZEN_081112HOSMCCOLDPLAY01_460x230.jpg

Coldplay frontman Chris Martin and guitarist Jonny Buckland work up a sweat.

Coldplay frontman Chris Martin was hot at play in the city this week before last night's packed stadium show at Mt Smart Stadium.

Martin preferred jogging in his leisure time, appearing to shun the freebies visiting rockers and celebrities are often wooed with here.

Auckland Tourism, Events and Economic Development (Ateed) typically offer top acts a portfolio of complimentary trips and activities.

The tourism organisation hopes to get word out to massive overseas audiences who follow the stars' social media sites.

"Celebrities push out positive messages on Twitter and Facebook that are seen by millions," Jason Hill, Ateed acting general manager of destination, said. "The key to getting the right message over is it has to come from a credible and authentic source. "

Favourite activities for visiting stars are trips to wineries on Waiheke Island including Stonyridge, Mudbrick and Cable Bay, plus jaunts on an America's Cup yacht, Hill said.

British musicians New Order took a spin around Waitemata Harbour with Auckland Adventure Jet before a concert at the Vector Arena in February.

Ateed has only a small budget for celebrity tourism activities and relies on individual operators offering services for free, Hill insisted.

A big recent success was inviting popular Chinese television actress Dong Xuan for a packed itinerary. Dong is an extensive blogger and social media user with a fan base of more than 3.2 million on Weibo, the Chinese equivalent to Facebook.

Last night, a delighted Martin shouted to the crowd after the first few songs of the show: "It appears we had to wait 18 months of our tour to play the greatest crowd we've ever played." He dedicated the hit song Yellow to the Pike River miners and Christchurch earthquake victims.

About 100,000 Kiwi music fans have shelled out more than $8 million for tickets to see gigs in the past two weeks by big names such as the Black Keys, Ben Harper, Radiohead, Mumford and Sons, and Coldplay.

Manolo Echave from Chugg Entertainment, which promoted last night's Coldplay show, said travel-weary bands appreciated organised activities.

He revealed Radiohead arrived in New Zealand almost a week before their gig at Vector last week and Coldplay also touched down a few days ahead of schedule.

"Auckland is now becoming the place for rock musicians to hang out and relax during a break on a gruelling world tour," Echave said.

However, big outdoor stadium shows are becoming fewer and farther between. The last big outdoor rock headliner was U2 at Mt Smart in November 2010.

link

"There seemed to be a lot of pre-recorded music mixed with the live instruments and I couldn’t help but feel I was being manipulated in some way... They just seem a bit too eager to please and the special effects showed that they were willing to go to any length to do just that."

I think there's alot of truth in these two statements (not so much about being manipulated) and think its time for a bit of a change in the way they make their music and perform it onstage. i.e much more acoustically and freely arranged like a real band.

Yes, like I don't mind the background synths on Clocks for example, but now most of their songs have some really prominent playbacks like the Paradise strings (and vocals!), Charlie Brown's piano riff, the Princess of China synths and Lovers In Japan piano. It's starting to bother me a bit.

Review: Coldplay extremely hot

SCCZEN_155966543_460x230.jpg

"You've come through the traffic and the ticket prices and we're so grateful," says Coldplay frontman Chris Martin.

"In return we're going to try to play the best f***ing concert of our lives."

The fireworks erupt with the opening strains of Hurts Like Hell, and the show begins.

Heart-shaped confetti sprays across the 50,000 people and the gate-issued wristbands flash in unison as Mt Smart is lit up like a supernova.

From the stadium-rock grandeur of Paradise to an intimate acoustic encore, Coldplay rarely hit an off note over 100 minutes.

Martin, all pogo and whirling dervish-like, bounces around and falls flat on his back at regular intervals, tossing his guitar high into the air.

Draped in the New Zealand flag, he sings of being missionaries in a foreign field, and he undoubtedly converted a few souls to the cause last night.

"This is for Pike River, this is for Christchurch. This is called Yellow," he says, before blasting into the old favourite.

We don't get many big outdoor concerts these days, more's the pity based on this effort.

Coldplay, a guilty pleasure and an international treasure.

link

Review: Coldplay at Mt Smart Stadium

7934591.jpg

Coldplay might have made their way into Mt Smart Stadium to the sound of Jay Z's 99 Problems, but it seems the only issue the band has these days is what to let off first: the fireworks or the confetti canons?

New Zealand has seen stadium shows before, but nothing like this. Led by Chris Martin, Coldplay turned the home of the Warriors into a magical playground for more than 47,000 fans last night.

And they did it quickly. As Mylo Xyloto/Hurts Like Heaven - the first song of an almost two-hour show - rang out so did the sound of the fireworks and confetti guns. Oh, and let's not forget the laser light show and the crowd's glowing wristbands which pulsed in time with the music. The stadium looked like some insane version of a twinkling Christmas tree and an exploding snow globe. It was breath-taking.

Over the years, Coldplay have become the band it's cool to hate: hyped, overblown and out of touch. With shows this extravagant, there's often a fear the content won't match up to the packaging. And when the packaging is this over the top, it's almost impossible to. But Martin and the band ticked all the boxes.

The crowd were stoked with the big tracks: In My Place, Warning Sign, Princess of China. Yellow was dedicated to "anyone from Pike River or Christchurch", the crowd became a choir bathed in that trademark golden light as Martin sang about the stars only just visible above the stadium lights.

Men cuddled for The Scientist, and girlfriends were thrown aloft boyfriends shoulders for Fix You. There was a stomping rock version of Violet Hill, and despite having to restart God Put A Smile Upon Your Face because they "f***ed up the best part of it", it was a speakers-up-to-11 version.

Of course there was the usual big show charm, Martin stroking the crowd's ego with a well-placed compliment: "it appears we had to wait 18 months of touring to experience the best crowd". There was also a nod to the realities of being a fan these days: "thank you for making it through the crowds, the ticket prices, we know some of you have even come from the South Island".

Despite all the chatter, it was Viva la Vida that tore the place apart. Not a single person was still sitting by the end of it. And it was a well-placed acoustic encore at the back of the stadium that gave the crowd a moment to gather themselves, before the last push of Every Teardrop is a Waterfall and a final blast of fireworks.

Coldplay have been a band for nearly 17 years. It's easy to forget that fact. That is, until you see them do what they do best.

This wasn't a whiny, pasty band, all baby-faced and poised to provide a soundtrack to heartbreak. Today, or at least last night, Coldplay were bright, colourful and fun to watch. It's hard to believe, but the hype might be justified.

link