✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

'Radiohead are better than us' - Coldplay

Tash

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I respectfully disagree. It is more likely that Radiohead will leave their mark in music history than Coldplay. What they do with music is rather revolutionary. And I swear I am not speaking this cause I like them. Their approach to music is incredibly thoughtful and innovative.

But my point is that realistically, "leaving a mark on music history" is really not that big of a deal at all. The only people who care about such things are a relative handful of music critics and audiophiles. Anyway, isn't making music with the express goal of garnering that type of reputation (which IMHO is what Radiohead is doing) just as cynical in it's own way as attempting to create chart hits and make a mark that way?

I'll freely admit that when someone publishes a list of the 100 most influential bands of our era 50 years hence, Radiohead are a heck of a lot more likely to appear their than Coldplay, I just don't see that as that big of an accomplishment. I would add that I also don't see that fact that a band achieves commercial success as something that is relevant one way or the other either.

Bottom line, both bands have managed to make a living from their music, which is hard enough, and (presumably) are making the music they want to make. At the end of the day that's all that really matters.

But my point is that realistically, "leaving a mark on music history" is really not that big of a deal at all. The only people who care about such things are a relative handful of music critics and audiophiles. Anyway, isn't making music with the express goal of garnering that type of reputation (which IMHO is what Radiohead is doing) just as cynical in it's own way as attempting to create chart hits and make a mark that way?

I'll freely admit that when someone publishes a list of the 100 most influential bands of our era 50 years hence, Radiohead are a heck of a lot more likely to appear their than Coldplay, I just don't see that as that big of an accomplishment. I would add that I also don't see that fact that a band achieves commercial success as something that is relevant one way or the other either.

Bottom line, both bands have managed to make a living from their music, which is hard enough, and (presumably) are making the music they want to make. At the end of the day that's all that really matters.

well said ;)

I like you. You say everything that Im thinking, but is too lazy to say.

But i will say this I dont think Coldplay is trying to be the next pink floyd or whatevr, but I think that have the potential to do so, if they really wanted too.

with all due respect to radiohead, i think the general public 50 years on will remember more songs from coldplay than radiohead. coldplay has had numerous crossover hits that transcended beyond their alternative roots and into mainstream consciousness. being mainstream does not necessarily mean your songs are bad and low quality, take a look at coldplay's hits like Yellow, Clocks, Viva la Vida etc, their memorable. Radiohead, with all their sonic sophistication, has been stuck in the extreme alternative field and its a fact that not many people hear their songs a lot. Only the snob music critics and some snob fans praise them for their work.

just because coldplay's music is simple and straightforward does not make it low quality... look at the song Yesterday by the Beatles(penned by Paul Mccartney) its a very simple, nothing really special, sophisticated song, its now a classic. Simplicity is actually a good way for people to remember a song.

Umm...I don't mean to be THAT person, but is that gramatically correct"Radiohead ARE better than us. Shouldn't it be is. Since he's referring to the band and not the members of the band..........I don't mean to sound ignorant but I think it's a British English thing because I see English twitterers refer to bands as plural instead of singular.

Sorry,I completely went away from the whole Radiohead Coldplay discourse

It's something I've been struggling with on this board and try to adapt. Apparently that's how the Brits go about it. Here in the US, we say Coldplay is. It's 1 band.

with all due respect to radiohead, i think the general public 50 years on will remember more songs from coldplay than radiohead. coldplay has had numerous crossover hits that transcended beyond their alternative roots and into mainstream consciousness. being mainstream does not necessarily mean your songs are bad and low quality, take a look at coldplay's hits like Yellow, Clocks, Viva la Vida etc, their memorable. Radiohead, with all their sonic sophistication, has been stuck in the extreme alternative field and its a fact that not many people hear their songs a lot. Only the snob music critics and some snob fans praise them for their work.

just because coldplay's music is simple and straightforward does not make it low quality... look at the song Yesterday by the Beatles(penned by Paul Mccartney) its a very simple, nothing really special, sophisticated song, its now a classic. Simplicity is actually a good way for people to remember a song.

I think it depends on how you measure. Radiohead will go down in history as one of the most innovative bands of this era, but it's Coldplay that will be on the Time Life Compilation CD of "best hits of the 00's." Chris Martin may well end up being the host on their late night infomercial. Both will almost certainly be fondly remembered, but by different people for different reasons.

Radiohead bores me to tears but today I found an old song of theirs I really liked (High & Dry). Their most recent stuff don't sound anything like that.

To use the Beatles example, the music they're most known for by most of the general public is their early stuff, which is pure, simple pop. The mainstream view of their later work is that it's "weird" despite being considered by musicians and critics as being almost uniformly superior to their early work (and probably rightfully so, at least in a technical sense.)

Radiohead bores me to tears but today I found an old song of theirs I really liked (High & Dry). Their most recent stuff don't sound anything like that.

Yeah, their first three albums were a more, guitar oriented sound.

In conclusion music is subjective. It's all personal opinions. Shoot I've heard people say Coldplay are innovative and I've herd people say Radiohead are overrated. It's just all depends on how you feel, no one is wrong or right.

Exactly you can't objectively prove or disproves either of those statements. The first (and biggest) hurdle is to attempt to qualify what terms like innovative and overated even mean in this context, which is almost impossible to do objectively in and of itself.

for me, the critics are hounding coldplay just for the sake of it, good thing the music critics have been much appreciative of coldplay lately(pitchfork as an example) and i really think that in a few years to come, there will be a much better re-appraisal of coldplay's music and its place in our culture.

for me, the critics are hounding coldplay just for the sake of it, good thing the music critics have been much appreciative of coldplay lately(pitchfork as an example) and i really think that in a few years to come, there will be a much better re-appraisal of coldplay's music and its place in our culture.

I still have a hard time wrapping my head around how relatively nice Pitchfork has been to them recently.