✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

'Radiohead are better than us' - Coldplay

Tash

Radiohead is the one for the moments when I want something different, something more

challenging and abstract.

But I think Coldplay and especially the members are much more accessible.

With whom could you better identify, Thom Yorke or Chris Martin ?

Jonny Greenwood or Jonny Buckland ?

They are doing great things, but Coldplay I find much more "human" and not so far away from my own personal behaviour and opinions :)

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In fact, Radiohead sometimes try too hard to be experimental, and sometimes all true feeling from music is lost (or at least it's hard to catch it amongst all those noise - see King of Limbs). What is the main principle of Radiohead? To break boundaries, perhaps. That is brave and interesting, and make many people respect them and want to follow them. What is the main principle of Coldplay? To write music, which is melodic and sincere. As Chris has put it, they would never cross one line, they deliberately have drawn - there should always be melody in the song. They will never go further. And it makes them a band you can like or even love with your heart, but not many people (especially musicians) respect them.

I hate how they make out like X&Y was not match for Parachutes and AROBTTH... I mean they state it as if it's fact! X&Y is my favoraite album by Coldplay (I think) and I hate how just because Coldplay weren't exactly happy with it, it's going to go down in history as being their flop album - which is rubbish!

I hate how they make out like X&Y was not match for Parachutes and AROBTTH... I mean they state it as if it's fact! X&Y is my favoraite album by Coldplay (I think) and I hate how just because Coldplay weren't exactly happy with it, it's going to go down in history as being their flop album - which is rubbish!

I hate how they agreed with the press saying shit about X&Y. That is just damn conformist.

Coldplay are much better than Radiohead. Jonny has to be nice and say that other bands are better to not look like ego. This applies to all musicians. They always have to say someone is better in some way so they can be challanged to become better. They have to at least say they were influenced by someone.

IMHO Radiohead have become a bit self important. They're more concerned about making "important" music than enjoyable music these days. Ok, king of Limbs may exhibit a high degree of musical craft, but how many of it's fans really put it on when they just want to chill out. Plus, though he's gotten much better in recent years, I just don't dig Thom's "woe is me" act.

"We hadn't had our own space since playing in my bedroom in 1996," laughs Buckland. This meant they could experiment more, which was something Coldplay had never done. It turned out that they were quite good at it, and the multi-part songs and lush sonic scope of Viva La Vida showed a very different side to the band.

Though it is their least successful record to date it is their most ambitious and intriguing.

how can Viva la Vida be the LEAST successful album when it sold like more than 9 million copies worldwide and 3 million in the US??????????????????????? ;)

I think they meant their least successful in New Zealand, which near as I can tell (from Wikipedia:rolleyes:), would make that a true statement.

IMHO Radiohead have become a bit self important. They're more concerned about making "important" music than enjoyable music these days. Ok, king of Limbs may exhibit a high degree of musical craft, but how many of it's fans really put it on when they just want to chill out. Plus, though he's gotten much better in recent years, I just don't dig Thom's "woe is me" act.

Self important! Everything Coldplay isn't (aren't). I get mad when the boys (Coldplay) make these humble statements and most people just don't get it. :veryangry2:

Coldplay has always has a great attitude towards the music industry (except Rihanna, that was like wat)

???????????????????????

Are you saying that Coldplay make music that they are sure their fans will like, and do not experiment or take risks? sure sounds like it.

???????????????????????

Are you saying that Coldplay make music that they are sure their fans will like, and do not experiment or take risks? sure sounds like it.

No, I'm saying Coldplay makes music they like, regardless of the fact that some critic may not put it on some "100 most influential records" list in 50 years time.

Radiohead IMHO "experiment" and "take risks" in large part just to look too cool for school, because they know that that's what a segment of their fans (often pretentious ones IMHO) will "like".

My head loves Radiohead,

but my heart loves Coldplay.

That's cute, I like that!

Even though it doesn't really apply to me, but it's clever :P

No, I'm saying Coldplay makes music they like, regardless of the fact that some critic may not put it on some "100 most influential records" list in 50 years time.

Radiohead IMHO "experiment" and "take risks" in large part just to look too cool for school, because they know that that's what a segment of their fans (often pretentious ones IMHO) will "like".

So, Radiohead makes music they don't like? Oh okay, I get it now cause' TKOL was just what the fans wanted!

And perhaps they "experiment" and "take risks" because they're bored of writing simple melodies that make teenage girls swoon over them. Now, there's nothing wrong with a catchy pop song, but that's not them.

That's cute, I like that!

Even though it doesn't really apply to me, but it's clever :P

So, Radiohead makes music they don't like? Oh okay, I get it now cause' TKOL was just what the fans wanted!

And perhaps they "experiment" and "take risks" because they're bored of writing simple melodies that make teenage girls swoon over them. Now, there's nothing wrong with a catchy pop song, but that's not them.

In a way TKOL was exactly what fans expected. Radiohead have carved out a niche for themselves as an experimental act. Therefore a large percentage of their fanbase does judge quality by just how "out there" they can get. I never said Radiohead didn't want to make that kind of music, but it's tiring to hear how bands that do genuinely want to make 3 minute pop songs can't possibly be doing that out of love for their music, while at the same time ignoring the fact that Radiohead is just as guilty as any commercial pop act of attempting to meet their audience's expectations, they're just doing so for a different audience.

Also, I don't think people appreciate just how much skill it actually does take to write "simple melodies that make teenage girls swoon" If it were so d#$n easy, every act would fill stadiums and the labels would be in much better shape.

I love Coldplay to death , but they will never be better than Radiohead.

Radiohead is beyond amazing, their originality and talent is miles ahead of Coldplay.

Don't hate me.

couldn't agree more

couldn't agree more

+1 I have no complaints with Coldplay's music, but Radiohead is on a different level and they aim for something different than other bands. They are probably the most innovative and relevant band in the world.

+1 I have no complaints with Coldplay's music, but Radiohead is on a different level and they aim for something different than other bands. They are probably the most innovative and relevant band in the world.

In all seriousness, what defines "relevant" in relation to a band? At the end of the day, it's still just all pop music, not rocket science or cancer research.

Umm...I don't mean to be THAT person, but is that gramatically correct"Radiohead ARE better than us. Shouldn't it be is. Since he's referring to the band and not the members of the band..........I don't mean to sound ignorant but I think it's a British English thing because I see English twitterers refer to bands as plural instead of singular.

Sorry,I completely went away from the whole Radiohead Coldplay discourse

In all seriousness, what defines "relevant" in relation to a band? At the end of the day, it's still just all pop music, not rocket science or cancer research.

I respectfully disagree. It is more likely that Radiohead will leave their mark in music history than Coldplay. What they do with music is rather revolutionary. And I swear I am not speaking this cause I like them. Their approach to music is incredibly thoughtful and innovative.

Umm...I don't mean to be THAT person, but is that gramatically correct"Radiohead ARE better than us. Shouldn't it be is. Since he's referring to the band and not the members of the band..........I don't mean to sound ignorant but I think it's a British English thing because I see English twitterers refer to bands as plural instead of singular.

Sorry,I completely went away from the whole Radiohead Coldplay discourse

I think this is completely irrelevant.