✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Andrew Flintoff v Richard Dawson: Should Freddie be in the ring?

busybeeburns

_64463947_flintoff_dawson_getty.jpg

Andrew Flintoff v Richard Dawson: Should Freddie be in the ring?

Andrew Flintoff will make his professional boxing debut against the American Richard Dawson on Friday at the Manchester Arena.

The former England cricketer, 34, has been training with the ex-world featherweight champion Barry McGuigan and his son Shane in preparation for his bout against Dawson, a man 11 years his junior and just under two stone heavier.

Some have suggested the fight is a "gimmick" for television but McGuigan believes Flintoff is fully prepared for the challenge. "He's shredded in weight and you can tell by looking at his physique he's transformed," he tells BBC Sport.

Flintoff says he is fighting because he "needed something" after retiring from cricket and that he has enjoyed being a sportsman again. So should the Ashes-winning cricketer, universally known as "Freddie", be allowed to fight a professional bout?

Is he ready?

"He's as ready as he could ever be," said McGuigan. "He's sparred over 300 rounds. He's worked for four-and-a-half months solidly and he's been doing 12 sessions a week for the last month and a half.

"Technically he's still a novice. He's got things to improve on and he's getting better. He's got good stance, good guard, good footwork and a good jab. He can bang the right hand in and he's got a good uppercut. Ultimately, he's a novice heavyweight, as is his opponent. I've seen him and I think Freddie can beat him."

Is the sport too dangerous for him?

Boxing promoter Frank Maloney has a different view. He points to James Cracknell's charity bout in 2007 as evidence that former sportsmen shouldn't move into the boxing arena.

Cracknell was knocked out by former New Zealand Test cricketer Kerry Walmsley, who was almost two stone heavier. On his debut, Flintoff's opponent Dawson knocked out his opponent after 19 seconds. Maloney argues that the sport is brutal for people like Flintoff who do not know it well.

"I think it's dangerous", he said. "No-one knows what it's like when you get hit by a glove unless you're the actual fella in the ring. I've boxed as an amateur. I've had a few punches, a busted nose and things like that. I didn't want to go pro because I know how hard it is. It's not for the meek. It's his choice and I wish him luck, but I think it's a bad decision by the British Board of Control to give a 34-year-old former sportsman a boxing licence."

Is the fight serious?

"This is my business, I'm not involved in a stunt," says McGuigan. "I have boxing academies, I have professional fighters, I have a kid who's sixth in the world. Anyone who says that to me insults me. For all the people who say we've demeaned the sport it couldn't be further from the truth - it's the absolute opposite of that. I would never get involved in something that wouldn't be anything but praiseworthy of boxing. Freddie Flintoff has trained insatiably hard, he's worked himself to the bone - look at the transformation. There's no way he could have got to that without having worked his cotton socks off.

"Bear in mind this is a four two-minute round contest, so it's down the bottom of the ladder of performances. He understands from the four-and-a-half months he's grafted for this just the sort of effort it takes to make it in boxing. Rather than being disrespectful he's been hugely respectful so I don't listen to these idiots who say this sport has been demeaned. This is a great chance for him. "

Should he be fighting?

Maloney doesn't think so. "I want to remember Flintoff as a man who was a great cricketer for England," he says.

"At 34 years old you can't make a career out of boxing. There are lots of young fighters who have worked their butt off to get to a certain level. They are trying hard and they can't even get a television slot.

"You get Freddie Flintoff claiming he wants to be a professional boxer and they make a documentary about him. We'll get every other sportsman who's failed in their own sport or called it a day coming into boxing. The British Boxing Board of Control shouldn't have granted him a licence."

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9NZsMCjDxo]Freddie Flintoff weighs-in for fight night - YouTube[/ame]

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/boxing/20540152

Guest howyousawtheworld

I really worry that he'll get battered. If he thinks he can do it then he can do it but I'd prefer to remember him for moments like this!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FH2UnMxR3IM]Andrew Flintoff the best over ever! - YouTube[/ame]