✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Jonny as a kind of 2. singer?

enjoylinus

Hi!

Well, I don't know where I heard or read about it. It must have been an article or kind of documentary saying that Jonny is actually the second singer in the band cause he plays such beautiful melodies on his guitar, contributing to Chris's vocal lines.

Perhaps you know where I can find it. I need this again for my thesis about Coldplay!

Thank you all folks!

BEST

Linus

:surprised: Never heard of that!

TBh, I think Will is the second singer of the band, as he's the lead singer of Death Will Never Conquer and he's the one we hear the most, especially live, in many songs, besides Chris.

Of course, by doing it with the vocal chords he undoubtedly is. But someone compared the guitar lines Jonny is doing, for example in 'In My Place', to a kind of singing performance.

Try Google

I did without success. That's why I think it was in documentary...

i have no idea where that's from, but that's a really cool way of thinking about it. :wacko:

I think so, too. The way he plays guitar is really intimate and subtle. No just cranking the amp and have one power chord after the other. Those melodies are really nice to listen to and I think one big reason why Coldplay is compared to U2 that much.

Of course, by doing it with the vocal chords he undoubtedly is. But someone compared the guitar lines Jonny is doing, for example in 'In My Place', to a kind of singing performance.

Yes I totally see what you mean. Moreover, in some videos at very big shows you can sometimes hear the crowd singing Jonny's riff in a few songs, especially In My Place. Glastonbury 2011 is quite a striking example of that.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dyoh5RQSdBk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dyoh5RQSdBk[/ame]

I think so, too. The way he plays guitar is really intimate and subtle. No just cranking the amp and have one power chord after the other. Those melodies are really nice to listen to and I think one big reason why Coldplay is compared to U2 that much.

Totally agree with that. Jonny doesn't show off or throw seemingly ingenious though disconnected bombastic solos on our faces, he just subtly build very nice riffs into the song.

Maybe referring to Jonny as a 'singer' was just a way to express the remarkable way he contributes to the songs, some way comparable to what a singer with a distinctive voice might do?

Yeah I don't think he actually means singer in the 'voice' sense, but the idea that his riffs are almost as iconic as the lyrics/Chris singing them.

That's exactly the way I mean it. Those guitar lines are brilliant and they are still ringing in your ears after you have heard them.

Thanks for the video! It's a really good example. Thousands of people singing to the guitar line of In My Place. That's a big compliment to Jonny.

Thank you very much to you all for contributing to my question.

If "there['s] anybody out there" ;) who knows the answer to my question please comment!

BEST

Linus (sitting at a desk in snowy and unpleasant Germany)