✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Chords For Chris Martin's Version of "The Fear"

Cubie255

I don't know how I did it, but I instantly figured out the tuning and chords. (Also how are you supposed to say Chris's name? Like this: Chris's or this: Chris'?)

You can watch the performance here:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BbDsEQVT98]Lily Allen "The Fear" with Chris Martin at Under 1 Roof at Eventim Apollo in London 12/19/2013 - YouTube[/ame]

Tuning: EADGCF

There is only two parts to the song; the verse and the chorus. The verse involves finger-picking that i can't be bothered to work out. It seems to work if you just strum it.

Verse:

There are only four chords in the verse.

E-1-

A-3-

D-3-

G-2-

C-0-

F-0-

E-1-

A-3-

D-1-

G-2-

C-0-

F-0-

This chord I'm not sure about though.

E-1

A-3

D-0

G-3

C-0

F-0

And this is chord I have absolutely no idea about. It might be this:

E-2

A-4

D-4

G-3

C-0

F-0

CHORUS (I will mark the transition chords with a **)

E-1-

A-3-

D-3-

G-2-

C-0-

F-0-

E-10-

A-12-

D-12-

G-10-

C-0-

F-0-

E-5-

A-7-

D-7-

G-5-

C-0-

F-0-

E-3-

A-5-

D-5-

G-3-

C-0-

F-0-

OR

E-8-

A-10-

D-10-

G-9-

C-0-

F-0-

And then on the second time playing the chorus instead of this chord:

E-5-

A-7-

D-7-

G-5-

C-0-

F-0-

Don't Play This^ Play the one underneath.

E-11-

A-13-

D-13-

G-12-

C-0-

F-0-

All the chords are there now. Watch the video for when to play stuff.

Thanks :) Any help would be appreciated, especially on the last verse chords.

this is a well written nice song. never heard it. I'm gonna try it out on the ole guitar. That song fun you posted about..think it had some potential but something didn't translate to that album recording. the lyrics are pretty quality though and i bet i could have been a great song. just seems to be missing something or off in someway

nice job dude. like that F and C tuning. theres a chance he's using a different tuning but yours sound sweet. try this for the missing last chord in the verse. X-4-3-3-1-0. That's with your tuning. If I had any suggestions for any of your chords, did you just want exactly what Chris Martin is doing in the video? I'm trying it with the album version and it's nice with your tuning and the low e tuned down to D. Everything seems to fit well. With your tuning, you could also try 2-4-3-3-1-0. Chris martin definitely has his thumb on the second fret for that chord and he plays with his thumb on the first fret for the F chord at the beginning so chances are his low e is not tuned differently.

well that tuning would have been about 200th on my list of guesses and it sounds awesome; maybe even better than chris martin's version. :) joke. Thanks for sharing that, seriously. You're definitely right about the last chord in the second section of the chorus. See how you like the sound if like have way through that chord, letting the 3rd string play open. Don't blame you for trying to play it spec for spec the way Chris plays it cause he definitely is kind of a genius with voicing chords. I used all your chords for this except the last two of the verse and i tuned the low E to D. Recored in my roommates bathroom, the best natural reverb i've come across. haha. see what you think about this interpretation. granted, it's not identical to Chris Martin, but thank you again for the tuning.

https://soundcloud.com/cedmo013/the-fear

Chris Martin's choice for the second to last chord voicing in the verse is (with your tuning): 1-1-3-3-2-0

See if you prefer this one. 1-3-1-3-2-0. it actually looks closer to where his fingers go, but it's hard to say. whichever one sounds better :). I like the sound of it as 4-6-6-3-0-0 then 2-6-6-2-0-0 for the last two (with the E-A-D-G-C-F Tuning.) but it's definitely not how chris martin played it or even the same chords