✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Coldplay's Magic 'has been named the perfect song to overcome fear'

grids

unnamed.jpg

Music streaming service Spotify has teamed up with cognitive psychology and neuroscience expert Jacob Jolij from the University of Groningen to discover the top emotion-inducing tracks.

"Music can have powerful effects on our emotions: from making us happy, to enabling the ability to overcome fear, certain music can trigger emotions and hormones that directly affect our moods," Jolij explained.

"Furthermore some research suggests that the major key unconsciously reminds you of a falling pitch - a feature which in both human and animal vocalisations asserts dominance and confidence."

OneRepublic's 'I Need' has been linked to sadness because it is "slower and in a minor key", while Coldplay's 'Magic' has been named the perfect song to overcome fear.

"Music that can help you to overcome fear needs to be slow, relaxing, but have major chords to evoke positive feelings and lyrics that deal with your negative thoughts, such as Coldplay's 'Magic'," Jolij said.

http://m.digitalspy.co.uk/music/news/a584214/which-katy-perry-song-is-scientifically-proven-to-make-you-happy.html#~oKbmAmhLaAKvHJ

Fascinating.

The effect of music on living beings is fascinating anyway. To think that humans have been making music for thousands of years is, to me, a somewhat very heartwarming thought. It's such a basic thing, and even if we think we don't have any musical talents, we still do whistle or hum from time to time. I wonder where this urge to make melodies come from. Maybe from the fact that words alone can't transport an emotion, or feeling well enough.

The four members of Coldplay must have found a way to create the most adapted subliminal musical sequences for us people, otherwise I think they wouldn't be so successful, because the lyrics itself can't be the reason.

/random thoughts

Coldplay's music has always seemed to have a healing quality. It's really cool to see some research being done that supports the idea of the healing power of music. I think I better listen to more Magic since I'm still terrified of driving :(