✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Always in My Head Chris Martin Acoustic Piano

rpindacity

I take a lot of theory classes at my college (required for music majors) Chris rarely (and I mean rarely) changes keys during songs. It's hard to name when he does. The one that always comes off the top of my head is "Trouble" He starts in G major for the verses and then switches to D major for the chorus. To find the root of a chord, you would need to find the notes you are playing. Chris is smart and uses inversions often because it can make chords sound more interesting. If you guys ever need help building chords or understanding chords that he uses, feel free to DM me and I will be more than happy to help. In the LRLRL version of The Hardest Part, Chris adds emphasis on the top Eb. (His right hand plays these notes in order: G, Bb, Eb) because Eb is the root of the chord, and also the highest note due to it being in a first inversion. It adds more power to the chord and really lets it ring out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Thanks KaranShah. I will definitely watch the video. I'm going to study root notes and chord names.

You mentioned that Chris likes to change the key. Is there a specific song that comes to mind that changes key? For example, would the bridge of Umbrella with Chris Martin and Rihanna be a key change? Or maybe the third chord of the chorus for up and up?

SORRY FOR THE DOUBLE POST

Up&Up is another song that actually doesn't change keys. Instead, it's just accidentals by making the F# to F naturals for the third chord in the chorus.

I learned this acoustic version of AIMH a long time ago. The right hand is pretty simple throughout most of it because he just does a constant G minor chord. He does G Bb and D, but runs down the D to a C and Bb while sometimes landing on an E instead of the D. It's hard to explain. I'll try to make a video on it soon. If you guys check out my Instagram, I have a short video of it that I uploaded a few weeks ago. It's rece_w

Thanks KaranShah. I will definitely watch the video. I'm going to study root notes and chord names.

You mentioned that Chris likes to change the key. Is there a specific song that comes to mind that changes key? For example, would the bridge of Umbrella with Chris Martin and Rihanna be a key change? Or maybe the third chord of the chorus for up and up?

Thanks to you man, I love discussing about coldplay

Atlas and Moving to Mars are two of the songs that pop up in my mind. Up n Up is on G major scale I believe. I haven't heard of bridge of Umbrella :O and good luck with the studying! :)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...