✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Bass

jay88

basses kick ass!!!! now obviously i may be considered biased....but they aren't a reason to get inot a band and do nothing. anyone who says that knows nothing about bass thats an extremely ignorant thing to say. bass is just as important and difficult and time-consuming as all the other instruments.

It might be easy to pick up, but if you don't take playing the bass seriously, it will absolutely stand out. My old bassist didn't care about what he was doing, and it was clear he just wanted to play bass so he could be in a band. Eventually we sacked him because he couldn't play properly and he made us sound absolutely dreadful.

While bass might be the easiest thing to play of the other instruments in a band, they are certainly not "just an excuse to get into a band". The bass is a very important part of a group, giving the overall sound much needed richness and gives a lot more rhythmic integrity and stability.

Of course, you can write music that doesn't need bass. For example, Coldplay songs without any bass would sound terrible, but songs by The White Stripes with bass would sound equally appalling. But 97% of bands that use bass simply couldn't do without it.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, the bass is a serious instrument and is very important in any band.

(by the way - I'm not a bassist, I'm a guitarist, so I'm in no way biased)

haha I'm such a poser. I started to play the bass only cos i wanted to join a band. And i only wanted to join a band to have groupies.

But yea, anyways, when i got my bass 2 years ago i fell in luv with it, started to take bass lessons and found out that it is the coolest instrument ever. And now if i dont practice at least 1 hour everyday i feel really bad. My bass is my best friend. :cool: :P hah

And yea, its kinda weird that there are so many bassists around here. Its so hard to find bassists where i live.

haha I'm such a poser. I started to play the bass only cos i wanted to join a band. And i only wanted to join a band to have groupies.

But yea, anyways, when i got my bass 2 years ago i fell in luv with it, started to take bass lessons and found out that it is the coolest instrument ever. And now if i dont practice at least 1 hour everyday i feel really bad. My bass is my best friend. :cool: :P hah

And yea, its kinda weird that there are so many bassists around here. Its so hard to find bassists where i live.

same with me about it being hard to find bassists....i did find one just recently and he's cool....but really most of the musicians out there are guitarists.......or drummers but i see mostly guitar :huh:

• 2 weeks later...

yeah, i hate how people think that bass is easier to play than guitar. it's true that most people could pick up a bass and learn the basics easier than a guitar, but if you actually want to be good it's just as hard.

(and i consider "good" to be based more on melodic sensibility or how much you can add to the music than how fast you can play notes, because there are lots of people who can play really fast that i think suck)