✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

What is wrong with this....

Egghead

They surveyed US college students, asking them to locate Iraq, Afghanistan, and Marquesas on a map. Less than 25% could locate Iraq or Afghanistan, but more than 50% could locate Marquesas.

(for those who don't know, Survivor took place in Marquesas)

COLLEGE STUDENTS!!!! :rolleyes:

I read it in today's paper. it was an article about the new Survivor series.

http://www.canada.com/ottawa/ottawacitizen/news/arts/story.html?id=e8195705-c9c1-4347-8eed-0fd9595c3e25&page=2

"An example of just how firmly ingrained Survivor's locations are in people's minds was brought home to Burnett in a knowledge survey conducted by National Geographic at the time Survivor: Marquesas was being played on TV.

College students across the U.S. were asked to find three locations on a map -- Iraq, Afghanistan and the Marquesas. Fewer than 25 per cent could find Iraq or Afghanistan, while more than half could point out the Marquesas."

Justine, I kind of expected that american college students would know where their country is fighting in a war at the moment. Silly me.

and albie, you're an american college student, arent you? :rolleyes:

yes, I could locate Afghanistan

Egghead wrote:

Justine, I kind of expected that american college students would know where their country is fighting in a war at the moment. Silly me.

and albie, you're an american college student, arent you?

yes, I could locate Afghanistan

thats not a global map

infact, what the hell is that even ment to be

And besides that, I still don't put any faith in that survey. There's no talk about who they asked, the sample size, or anything else. To take that single sentence, without knowing anything about the data, and blow it up into something that you think accurately represents a group of millions of people is about as stupid as, say, not being able to find Afghanistan or Iraq on a map.