✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Why do Coldplay front-load their albums?

ugadawg5

Have y'all noticed that many of Coldplay's most popular songs all appear on the first half of their album's tracklisting? The following songs all appear on the first half of their albums: Don't Panic, Shiver, Sparks, Yellow, Politik, In My Place, GPASUYF, The Scientist, Clocks, Square One, White Shadows, Fix You, Talk, X&Y.

Out of the 10 singles from albums Colplay have released thus far, 8 have come from the first half of their album's tracklisting. What are y'alls thoughts on this?

i don't know if you can say their most popular songs are at the start ....

Amsterdam is a very popular song and thats right at the end, Swallowed In The Sea is also quite popular ... i think all the albums tend to have a similar structure finishing on a powerful note and maybe thats just the way the albums work out

anyway even if Coldplay are 'front loading' their albums (which i don't believe they are) its not unusual for a band to do this many many albums have their best songs at the start....

but i think Coldplays albums are wonderfully structured and balanced :D

Every band frontloads. Unless it is an album where every song is key and memorable, like Abbey Road. You're not gonna put the less memorable songs in the first half of the album, if you do that, then the listener doesn't get hooked.

Sparks and Amsterdam are popular?

lol I love both, so I don't care too much. ^_^

I noticed that all of their singles were in the front half: (except for Trouble)

Don't Panic (1), Shiver (2), Yellow (5), Trouble (6)

In My Place (2), God Put A Smile Upon Your Face (3), The Scientist (4), Clocks (5)

Fix You (4) Speed of Sound (7)

^^Preach. If you want a blatant example of front-loading, look at "Californication," practically 5 of the first 6 songs were big hits. Honestly, its just marketing. While most of us on here are big fans, realize that there are probably millions (I'm serious) who have not listened to any of the songs past "Clocks" on AROBTTH.

While most of us on here are big fans' date=' realize that there are probably millions (I'm serious) who have not listened to any of the songs past "Clocks" on AROBTTH.[/quote']

Which is sad, IMO. Daylight, Green Eyes, Warning Sign, Rush of Blood, and Amsterdam are all amazing songs. A Whisper is good, but even I didn't like it at first.

Every band frontloads. Unless it is an album where every song is key and memorable' date=' like Abbey Road. You're not gonna put the less memorable songs in the first half of the album, if you do that, then the listener doesn't get hooked.[/quote']

Right! Best example? Oasis' Morning Glory

"Hello - Roll With It - Wonderwall - Don't Look Back In Anger"

I could go all the way up until Supernova (the last track) but the album goes low on the prep tracks (6 & 11).

X&Y isn't frontloaded, it's loaded all over. Haha.