✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

'Yellow' lyrics vored 5th best in British poll

Mimixxx

About 13,000 British voters have chosen a line from U2's 1992 hit One as their favorite lyric.

"One life, with each other, sisters, brothers" topped the VH1 poll, the BBC reported Monday.

Second favorite was "So you go, and you stand on your own, and you leave on your own, and you go home, and you cry, and you want to die" from the Smiths' Now, followed by Nirvana's "I feel stupid and contagious, here we are now, entertain us" from Smells Like Teen Spirit.

No. 4 was Bob Marley's "Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds, have no fear for atomic energy, 'cause none of them can stop the time" from the Redemption Song.

Rounding out the Top 5 was a line from Coldplay's Yellow -- "Look at the stars, look how they shine for you."

http://story.northkoreatimes.com/p.x/ct/9/cid/dd8845aa60952db2/id/f0dadfc24067874a/

i'm hiding :curtain: am i offline online now :o ??? :mellow:

i'm always defending Coldplay when it comes to lyrics (some songs on X&Y don't count :shifty: )

but i don't really like the results of this poll, because (and you're right there), some artists have written much better lyrics (and they're legends of music!!!) .

I don't mind that their lyrics are simple. They've said that they like lyrics that one can directly relate to, not contrived and that channel love and life without being too complicated. I don't think lyrics have to be overly thoughful or clever to be considered good. While Yellow is certainly not their best lyrically, it's great it made the top 10! :nice:

I saw this on the U2 forum. Meh. Doesn't mean much to me, since 'One' definately isn't U2's best lyrical showcase. I'd say "I'm gonna buy a gun and start a war, if you can tell me somethin' worth fighting for" kicks Yellow's "look at the stars" line. It might be classic, and beautiful with it's melody... but it's not deep lyrically.

And why wouldn't Bob Dylan (IMHO best lyricist ever) be higher up? As in, number one?