🌙 COLDPLAY ANNOUNCE MOON MUSIC OUT OCTOBER 4TH 🎵

Music Zone enters administration

Jenjie

CD and DVD retailer Music Zone has gone into administration.

The chain, which has 104 stores across the UK and 1,100 staff, had been struggling against competition from online retailers and the supermarkets.

Music Zone said it had no alternative to administration after its banks decided to recover debts without notice and with immediate effect.

Administrators said they would continue trading at the firm while seeking a buyer to run it as a going concern.

Market stall

Music Zone was bought in a £12m management buy-out in 2005, backed by private equity firm Lloyds Development Capital.

A company spokesman said the firm was not alone in experiencing "challenging trading conditions" on the High Street.

He added that pre-Christmas spending was also poorer than expected.

Stockport-based Music Zone said in January last year that it was "optimistic about future growth".

It made the comments after it bought 43 former stores from the MVC chain, which had itself gone into administration.

Music Zone was founded by Russ Grainger from a market stall in Longsite, Manchester, in 1984.

_42409251_musiczone203.jpg

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6227971.stm

This doesn't suprise me. I remember going for a part-time job at their store in Heathrow Airport a couple of years ago and they were the biggest bunch of idiots I have every came across in a music shop.

The manager asked me questions about the latest CD's I had bought - so I told him - but he didn't know any of the artists I mentioned and he instantly began to bring the interview to an end.

He also said, if I got the job he wanted me to work the early shift (at the store for 5am) during my whole trial period of 2 weeks.

I didn't want the job by this point anyway so I just said "I need to go now because I want to get home to watch neighbours"

haha, I always remember that day because I stayed and watched the planes landing and taking off for ages. Good times.......:square:

Doesn't surprise me either - even HMV are struggling and they're x132987432 bigger than Music Zone. Well maybe not that much but they're definately bigger. Online is the future.

And the present, for that matter!!

CD-Wow, Blah!, 4CheapCDs, Bang and Play.com are just a few I've used..............................

There are TV adverts in the UK for a CD Wow online sale. As if they couldn't get any cheaper they just did!!

The best thing is that most of them offer free postage worldwide, too, which is great for sending pressies to people etc.:D

Let's face it - media stores are doomed!!:rolleyes:

The best thing is that most of them offer free postage worldwide, too, which is great for sending pressies to people etc.:D

Let's face it - media stores are doomed!!:rolleyes:

not necessarily doomed. they just need to respond to the changing market and re-evaluate how they do business. if they continue to try and price-match the online store they'll quite easily go out of business. but there are plenty of areas they can focus on to improve sales. the business & academic market; niche areas which online sites won't necessarily focus on; and even set up their own online services.

not necessarily doomed. they just need to respond to the changing market and re-evaluate how they do business. if they continue to try and price-match the online store they'll quite easily go out of business. but there are plenty of areas they can focus on to improve sales. the business & academic market; niche areas which online sites won't necessarily focus on; and even set up their own online services.

Maybe - but there's no reason for anyone to actually visit a store any more......................... ;)

Maybe - but there's no reason for anyone to actually visit a store any more......................... ;)

course there is. you can't beat going into the shop and browsing. plus you get better information off the covers of the items than the blurb on some of the online sites. trying to find 2 player ps2 games online is a nightmare coz the majority don't give you that info

the video reviews are interesting on gamespot... but they often disregard bad points and concentrate on the good points only... even if the score is only in the 80%'s. I get the review links to hundreds of other sites through gamespot which is mainly why I use it. The we score, they score, you score system is ideal too

Yeah, I always use a wide variety of sites to get a decent average score and watch lots of video clips of games.

I seriously have never bought a bad game in my life for any system - well since I was about 8-10 years old.

I hate it when a friend of mine will part with £40 for a game which I know is absolutely terrible.

Like a few months ago a friend of mine bought "True Crime: New York City" and I said "what? that game is very bad, it's even worse than the first one!!" and he didin't understand how I knew that.

Then after about 10 mins of playing it he was thinking of trading it in.

I normally can just watch a game for a couple of minutes and decide it's fate.

haha,

I actually think that PC rule verges on illegal. I bought a PC game once (Call Of Duty + expansions) that my DVD-ROM drive wouldn't read - there was no reason for this as it's a very good new drive (made by NEC) which has never gave me a problem with anything before or since then.

However, all I got from the store (GAME) was "you should always check the system requirements before purchase" - which wasn't going to fool me.

I went mad at them after about 20 minutes of their unwillingness to help and they caved in and gave me my money back. They waited until the shop was empty before they did that though - odd.

I then ordered the Call Of Duty: Deluxe Edition from Play.com, saved a bunch on money and it worked.

They need to sort out some new way to deal with this sort of problem.

Music Zone going into administration doesn't really surprise me. What surprises me is the suddeness of it. But with the 3 prong attack from Online Shops, Supermarkets and Illegal Downloads, it's hard for CD shops.

I like shopping for CDs, because unlike online you can see the CDs, and if they have a good eye-catching cover, you look at the CD, you can see if that CD has copy protection on, and you can pay money then, and have the CD at once, unlike Online where you have to wait 2-5 days for it to come via post.

With Music-Zone in administation, I guess that leaves just HMV, Virgin and Fopp flying the flag for proper main music shops, with countless small indie shops, selling rarer and lesser known artists for a bit more than the larger shops around.

haha,

I actually think that PC rule verges on illegal.

not necessarily illegal, but you would likely have trading standards on your side. if you buy something, it has to be suitable for the purpose for which you bought it. so if you buy a game and the system requirements suggest that it will work on your computer and it doesn't, they ought to provide you with a refund. they can get round this by trying replacement versions. or PC world test it on their computers to see if it works.

Music Zone going into administration doesn't really surprise me. What surprises me is the suddeness of it. But with the 3 prong attack from Online Shops' date=' Supermarkets and Illegal Downloads, it's hard for CD shops.[/quote']

It probably wasn't as "sudden" as you think. Their sales have probably been dropping for many months as online shopping has got more and more popular.

I like shopping for CDs' date=' because unlike online you can see the CDs, and if they have a good eye-catching cover[/quote']

What does the "cover" have to do with anything?? It's the content that matters! You shouldn't judge a CD by its cover......................... ;)

you look at the CD' date=' you can see if that CD has copy protection on[/quote']

Admittedly copy protection is annoying, but that wouldn't stop me buying an album if I really liked it...............

and you can pay money then' date=' and have the CD at once, unlike Online where you have to wait 2-5 days for it to come via post.[/quote']

I'd much rather wait a few days than pay the extortionate high street prices.;)

With Music-Zone in administation' date=' I guess that leaves just HMV, Virgin and Fopp flying the flag for proper main music shops, with countless small indie shops, selling rarer and lesser known artists for a bit more than the larger shops around.[/quote']

I visited a media store for the first time in a few months today and the only thing I ended up buying was an mp3 player adaptor. The CD prices were as high as ever...........................