✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Ode To Deodorant value?

davedavedave

it's difficult to say. when Record Collector released their collective list of CP rarities and associated values, the Safety EP was listed at a higher value mark than Ode, but I've come across a handful of opportunities to purchase the Safety EP, and only one or two for Ode. Unsure how/why they associated those values to the items, but in either case, I'd assume the final mark will be between $1200-$2000 USD. It would have been a brighter idea for the seller to post the item after the release of the next record, when fenceline collectors have their eyes on the band again.

I was thinking it must go for more than Safety... agreed there have been numerous occassions to purchase Safety but I've not seen an Ode To cassette before, and this one is complete with the business card.

Agreed about the seller selling after the next album, its good for us who want to buy it though... saying that I'm not sure I can go to $1500-$2000!!

I just wrote to the seller and they said that if the auction doesn't look like it's ramping up in the final day or so then they're gonna remove it and sell it 'nearer to xmas' or early next year.

I offered what I thought was a good sum for it but they turned me down :(

Guest LiquidSky

Honestly, I think anyone can make a tape and sell it...because the song has been out. All you would have to do is buy a tape, copy the design and record it. How would you be able to tell if it's an original one?

that's where you need to know your merchandise; looks legit to me, not only with the business card info, but the look of the cassette as compared to the few i've seen, but you'd be smart to research the item, learn its specifics and ask questions.

looks like he's not going to accept anything lower than 1000 GBP.

It definitely looks like the real thing. I have one (bought on ebay in 2005) and this one looks exactly like it. As far as I can tell, this is only the second time that an original 'printed label' cassette comes up for sale on ebay.

There was also a 2nd original version with a 'handwritten label' on ebay about 3 years ago which is recorded on exactly the same cassette brand.

Its been taken down :(

It was the real thing for sure, the story behind this guy having it in the first place was pretty amazing.

I got his contact details so I'm gonna work on him! Reckon he might go for a sale nearer to xmas or when the next album is out.

• 5 months later...

Ode To Deodorant sale?

To reprise an old thread... I dug out the seller's details now months have passed and got an email back. He will sell, bit he's in no rush unfortunately, unless the 'right price is offered' whatever that is.

I'm wondering of £1,000 will seal it, it will complete my collection. Has anyone seen any of these sold recently? This is still the only one ever I've seen and I've been researching collectors stores all over for a long time.

I want to go to the seller with the offer but don't want to put the thought in his head to re-list it on ebay in case I get outbid and can't afford it! Stuck in a catch 22 and its driving me mad! :angry:

I'm wondering of £1,000 will seal it, it will complete my collection. Has anyone seen any of these sold recently? This is still the only one ever I've seen and I've been researching collectors stores all over for a long time.

There was another one on ebay about a couple weeks after this was on sale. When I remember correctly that one was sold for 200 or so Pounds. This makes it the 4th original copy I have ever seen (1 handwritten, 3 with label). Any more out there...?

Phew, I was going to say I would've been gutted if there was another... I've been keeping my eyes peeled, and at £200 too! Thats way under the mark.

Regards degredation I didnt see that putting the Beatles buyers off when they have rare tapes for sale...

Here's my long shot... anyone out there have one of these they would sell privately? Please PM me with a rough idea of what you're asking. I WILL get this tape ;)

• 5 years later...

Hello

Just joined to get some info on the value of the ode to deodorant casette and saw your post. I notice the post was along time ago but if youre interested I'm in the process of selling my copy of the original demo, along with phils business card that came with it.

• 1 month later...
Hello

Just joined to get some info on the value of the ode to deodorant casette and saw your post. I notice the post was along time ago but if youre interested I'm in the process of selling my copy of the original demo, along with phils business card that came with it.

Out of curiosity, how much are you asking?

• 4 weeks later...

There's a copy of the promo CD on e-bay at the moment for 50 Euro's.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Coldplay-Ode-to-Deorant-2-Tracks-Promo-Rare-Uk/171167309264?_trksid=p2050601.m2451&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D266%26meid%3D2711579488504562597%26pid%3D100103%26prg%3D1141%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D171167309264%26clkid%3D2711581610112657907&_qi=RTM1489587

You're probably thinking that's a good price for the rare CD promo. Now look at the seller's history and you'll find this.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Coldplay-Ode-Deorant-2-Tracks-Promo-Rare-Uk-/171148713591

Now, knowing how rare this promo CD is, what's the chance that someone has two copies of the promo to sell? It'll be interesting to see if further copies will be sold.

As mentioned before, it's pretty easy to create fakes of this type of promo. If someone has a genuine copy, are there any signs to look for?

• 4 weeks later...
There's a copy of the promo CD on e-bay at the moment for 50 Euro's.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Coldplay-Ode-to-Deorant-2-Tracks-Promo-Rare-Uk/171167309264?_trksid=p2050601.m2451&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D266%26meid%3D2711579488504562597%26pid%3D100103%26prg%3D1141%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D171167309264%26clkid%3D2711581610112657907&_qi=RTM1489587

You're probably thinking that's a good price for the rare CD promo. Now look at the seller's history and you'll find this.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Coldplay-Ode-Deorant-2-Tracks-Promo-Rare-Uk-/171148713591

Now, knowing how rare this promo CD is, what's the chance that someone has two copies of the promo to sell? It'll be interesting to see if further copies will be sold.

As mentioned before, it's pretty easy to create fakes of this type of promo. If someone has a genuine copy, are there any signs to look for?

Another here, from the same seller I think, on the spanish ebay... http://www.ebay.es/itm/Coldplay-Ode-to-Deorant-2-Tracks-Promo-Rare-Uk-/171194065510?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_186&hash=item27dbf62266#ht_102wt_1235

Fake to me...

One way: Compare the serial numbers of the central circle of the CD with the same numbers of a true copy.