🌙 COLDPLAY ANNOUNCE MOON MUSIC OUT OCTOBER 4TH 🎵

Are you a hugger??

mc_squared

Goodbye to the hug: How modern life is killing off embracing

Last updated at 22:00pm on 2nd November 2007 commentIconSm.gif Comments (11)

For the touchy-feely among you it may come as something of a shock, but doctors are claiming that hectic modern life has killed off the hug.

Psychologists believe everyone needs at least one cuddle a day to help them cope with the stresses of 21st century living.

But our manic lifestyles - and political correctness - now apparently mean we are either too nervous or too busy to put our arms around someone we care about.

A survey found that a third of people received no daily hugs, while three-quarters yearned to be hugged more than they were.

Scroll down for more...

couplehugG0211_468x374.jpgHug a goodie: Two couples embrace, an important part of every relationship

Senior psychologist Dr David Holmes, of Manchester Metropolitan University, said: "These days we are just too busy to hug.

"Britain has forgotten how to hug. No one does it any more. We are out of the habit.

"You have situations where families aren't even in the same room as each other in the evenings any more because children are upstairs playing in their own rooms.

"And young career couples forget because they are working such long hours and are busy when they get home.

"A hug is an important-part of life. We are basically animals and so need physical contact like animals do.

"Political correctness is partly to blame as we have been conditioned not to touch anyone any more as it can easily be deemed inappropriate.

"Life now is all about having minimal physical contact.

"It is a real shame, but on the serious side it is a scientific fact that animals which receive little affection are unhappier than those that receive more contact."

The study, for Imperial Leather, also revealed that in families the younger members - particularly the under-threes - receive the majority of the hugs, with the husband or wife often completely left out.

The number of hugs for children drops off when they reach the age of 11 and upwards, until the age of 18 when the trend reverses.

Those between 18 and 21 start to receive an increased number of cuddles.

Those between 15 and 17 are the ones least likely to receive, or want to receive, a hug.

For parents, the period when the children have left home is going to be the most enjoyable because affection is then directed towards each other rather than the offspring.

For parents, the period when the children have left home is going to be the most enjoyable because affection is then directed towards each other rather than the offspring.

It depends on the relationship the parents have. It's not always true. In France, people kiss goodbye and hello. They also do it in Italy and Spain. At work they shake hands and I dislike it. I only shake hands when I meet people. In some companies, not to shake hands is frowned upon. However, I like hugging friends ... but not colleagues !

0009.gif

It depends on the relationship the parents have. It's not always true. In France, people kiss goodbye and hello. They also do it in Italy and Spain. At work they shake hands and I dislike it. I only shake hands when I meet people. In some companies, not to shake hands is frowned upon. However, I like hugging friends ... but not colleagues !

0009.gif

a042.gif

I'm like the opposite. All of my friends are compulsive huggers. It gets on my nerves. I don't let them hug me sometimes. :P For my birthday one of my friends gave me a teddy bear that said "hug me" on it because she has never had a hug from me. I dunno, I'm just a cold person I guess. :D

Guest LiquidSky

I actually don't like hugs either haha If I can avoid a hug I will avoid it. But other times I do give out hugs specially when I'm feeling 'happy' or really glad to see someone and I really hate it when someone greats you but they kiss your cheek and hug you. Excuse me?! yeah I don't like it unless it's a very very hot guy then I don't mind..well actually I do.