✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Fleet Foxes

Black Rose

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

australian alternative radio station Triple J will be broadcasting Fleet Foxes' full performance at the recent Falls Festival in Victoria, Australia. it will be broadcast some time in the coming month. there are very few professional recordings of the band so i can't wait to hear this!

Fleet Foxes Hate Major Labels

147860.148375.fleetfoxes.jpgAs of early January, the Pitchfork-beloved self-titled debut album from uber-mellow Seattle harmonizers Fleet Foxes had sold about 180,000 copies, according to Nielsen Soundscan. These days, those are pretty good numbers for a new major-label band. For a young indie band on Sub Pop, they're astronomical. And considering that the FFs have appeared on "Saturday Night Live" and received tons of year-end press love since January 9, that number is probably a whole lot higher now.

UPDATE: They're up to 211,000 copies of the album and 40,000 copies of the EP!

So it follows that the major labels of the world would probably love to get their grubby little hands on these guys. But according to Foxes frontman Robin Pecknold, that is so never going to happen.

After reports circulated that the Fleet Foxes had signed with Virgin, Pecknold put up a MySpace blog post to stomp them down in the most unambiguous possible manner:

"So, I went to the (truly insane and heart-swelling) Dept of Eagles show at Neumo's tonight (sang along and bought a Tee) and a couple people said something about hearing we signed to Virgin Records and they are reissuing a 'special edition' of the CD LP. This is false. I think a Seattle Weekly blog post started this fire, which I will now extinguish, with this statement - 'Fleet Foxes will never, ever, under no circumstances, from now until the world chokes on gas fumes, sign to a major label. This includes all subsidiaries or permutations thereunder. Till we die.'

"I just don't see the point. Most major labels seem anti-music. We've pursued no such deal with Virgin (or been pursued to my knowledge, I think it was just a bit of news they reported) and would be idiots to be unhappy with our fam of label folks. It is true though that all copies of the CD LP will now include a free copy of the EP (like it is currently with the vinyl), but that's not a 'special limited edition,' it'll be that way in perpetuity, no extra cost or packaging change.

"That's all! Also I cut all my hair off."

That's not exactly Steve Albini levels of anti-major vitriol, but it'll do. The folks at Sub Pop can sleep soundly at night.

Here's Sarah Brickner's offending Seattle Weekly blog post (uncorrected as yet), which, weirdly enough, links back to an actual Virgin Records announcement about a forthcoming Fleet Foxes reissue. The Virgin announcement never says that the reissue would be on Virgin, but it's weird that they're even talking about it at all.

So: Rumor squashed. That's all! Also, Robin Pecknold cut all his hair off.

UPDATE: OK, so, Warner Music has owned 49% of Sub Pop since 1995. That kinda makes it a "subsidiary" or "permutation", right?

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/news/147860-fleet-foxes-hate-major-labels

australian alternative radio station Triple J will be broadcasting Fleet Foxes' full performance at the recent Falls Festival in Victoria, Australia. it will be broadcast some time in the coming month. there are very few professional recordings of the band so i can't wait to hear this!

Know the date of this yet?