✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

12 Coldplay Months Of 2008: DECEMBER (One UK Tour... at last!)

Coldplaying Wins Absolute Radio Rock-Off Against Official Muse & Keane Forums

Coldplaying beat the official Keane forum in the Absolute Radio Rock-off first round by 62% - 38% after 28 hours of voting:

coldplayingkeaneresult1.jpg

In the quarter-final, Coldplaying was up against the official Muse forum... Coldplaying won by 64% - 36% after 24 hours of fierce voting... and a heavy bout of cheating from the Musers. Absolute Radio didn't fail to spot it and swiped a load of votes from the Muse forum.

In the semis, Coldplaying faced the Green Day community and in the closest and best round of the whole competition, Green Day were victorious by 0.2%. They went on to win the comeptition... well done from everyone at Coldplaying.com... hopefully see you there again in next year's knockouts!

Coldplay And Kylie Release Duet 'Lhuna' Via RedWire

The Kylie / Coldplay duet ‘Lhuna’, which Chris Martin has been raving about, finally saw its release, on World AIDS Day (1st December). The song was available via (RED)'s new digital music magazine, (RED)WIRE.

We asked you what you thought of the track... and nearly 2000 of you voted:

lhunapoll.jpg

Lhuna is a song written during sessions for Coldplay's fourth album, Viva La Vida Or Death And All His Friends and is known to be a duet with Coldplay and singer Kylie Minogue. When asked why it didnt make it on to the album, Chris Martin said: “Well, its just too sexy. At this point, we cannot be that sexy, also we haven’t quite finished it. It’s a song called Lhuna and Kylie is particularly brilliant on it.”

The band had hinted that the song will appear on a new album that may be released in 2009 but it was discovered on 29th November 2008 that the song would be released as a charity song on 1st December 2008 as part of World AIDS Day via the music service Red Wire. It was first heard online at MSN at 7pm (GMT) that same evening.

Lhuna.png

UK Tour... at last!

Coldplay finally reached familiar shores and embarked upon a tour of their homeland...

sheff20.jpg

Here were the discussion threads for all the UK & Ireland tour dates:

29 November 2008: Arena, Sheffield, UK

1 December 2008: NIA, Birmingham, UK

2 December 2008: NIA, Birmingham, UK

3 December 2008 - NIA, Birmingham, UK

6 December 2008: SECC, Glasgow, UK

7 December 2008: Echo Arena, Liverpool, UK

9 December 2008: SECC, Glasgow, UK

11 December 2008: MEN Arena, Manchester, UK

12 December 2008: MEN Arena, Manchester, UK

14 December 2008: O2 Arena, London, UK

15 December 2008: O2 Arena, London, UK

16 December 2008 - O2 Arena, London, UK

19 December 2008 - Odyssey Arena, Belfast, UK

21 December 2008 - O2 Arena, Dublin, Ireland

22 December 2008 - O2 Arena, Dublin, Ireland

23 December 2008: Odyssey Arena, Belfast, UK

Live Coldplay Photoblog From Birmingham

You might remember that Coldplay.com brought you a live photoblog from the Lyon gig in September, which aimed to give you an idea of what it was like to be backstage with the band on the day of a big show, via video, pictures and general chit-chat.

Well, Coldplay did it again in Birmingham. You kept in touch with discussions on the live Birmingam photoblog as it happened, all 32 pages of it!

4.03pm: Good afternoon. We're backstage at the NIA in Birmingham, having set up home in the management office. It's cold and icy outside, but reasonably cosy in here. The band aren't about yet - Jonny and Will have been playing football this afternoon, while Guy and Chris have been enjoying an afternoon off. They're all due here at about 6pm. Until then, we'll be wandering about, snapping pictures like the ones below.

Anchorman

brumhug.jpg

jbgbbrum.jpg

guybrum.jpg

DSC_0072.jpg

DSC_0067.jpg

iTunes: Coldplay Topped Sales In 2008

Coldplay was the hottest iTunes album download this year: Its "Viva la Vida" was crowned the best-selling album of 2008, while Leona Lewis's "Bleeding Love" was named the top-selling single.

Coldplay's CD has sold more than 2 million copies since its release in June, and has sold more than 500,000 copies digitally—most of which was through iTunes, according to the band's representative. ITunes does not release its sales figures, its spokesman said in releasing its list on Monday.

Also, according to iTunes, the title track of Coldplay's album was its No. 2 most downloaded track, followed by "Low" by Flo Rida (featuring T-Pain), Katy Perry's "I Kissed a Girl" and Rihanna's "Disturbia."

Exclusive Rolling Stone Article: On the Road With Coldplay

Rolling Stone published an exclusive article entitled: "On the Road With Coldplay" - here's a short excerpt:

Minutes before showtime in Coldplay's darkened Dallas dressing room, Chris Martin cracks open a bottle of Jameson. He takes a shot, throws his head back and gargles loudly.

At least a dozen pill bottles litter the floor next to Martin's yoga mat. But it's all a lot less decadent than it seems: The pills are vitamins, and the whiskey is mostly to lubricate Martin's throat for the many quavering high notes to come. "It's pretty exciting back here, right?" cracks drummer Will Champion, who spends most of his pre-show time playing a PlayStation 3 soccer game. "It's just like Mötley Crüe!"

Coldplay are in the middle of the biggest tour of their career, and their latest album, Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends, has made them the top-selling band in the world this year. (They have trouble accepting the news: "Most of the time we just feel like losers," says laid-back bassist Guy Berryman.)

rsexc15.jpgrsexc16.jpg

rsexc20.jpgrsexc18.jpg

Coldplay Add Second Wembley Date To UK Stadium Tour 2009

Coldplay added a second gig at London's Wembley Stadium after their first sold out.

The group sold out their gig at the massive venue on September 19 2009, but have added another night there on September 18. Coldplay have also announced that Girls Aloud will support them at a newly announced second date at London’s Wembley Stadium. Chris Martin has been vocal in his fandom of the band, who will appear below Coldplay on Friday 18 September. Jay-Z is already lined-up to support them at their three previously-announced mega-gigs in Manchester, Glasgow and Wembley.

Meanwhile over the other side of the world, Coldplay's Australian pre-sale allocation sold out On the first day. Here's the report:

It was a bold move by Chugg Entertainment to open two Coldplay shows simultaneously in each of the East Coast cities, for both the general public on-sale and the widely advertised Visa Entertainment pre-sale, but one that has paid off and given fans their best chance at tickets ever, reports Tangled Magazine.

Promoter Michael Chugg says, “This was a decision dictated by the overwhelming demand by fans to see Coldplay live, the biggest band in the world right now. We wanted to put two shows up on sale at once to give the fans the best shot at securing tickets… and knowing it was there, by going with two at once, we also gave them a choice of concert”.

As a result of this extraordinary demand, Michael Chugg has announced that not two but three shows at Acer Arena in Sydney would now go on sale at once this week. This gives fans the option to buy into one of three concerts at the same time, from 9am on Thursday 4 December. The third Sydney concert will take place on Saturday 14 March and adds to the shows already announced for Wednesday March 11 & Thursday March 12. Coldplay’s Viva La Vida tour will now go on sale to the general public with a total of eight arena shows at once across Perth, Melbourne, Brisbane and Sydney. The Visa Entertainment pre-sale allocation was capped in order to leave thousands of great tickets available for this general on-sale on Thursday. The tour is set to be a memorable one for this country. Chugg Entertainment’s Production Manager, Jon Pope, who recently attended several dates on the Viva La Vida tour in America, states, “This is one of the best shows I have ever seen in my 30 years of touring. The show is extraordinary, we lost count of how many different looks they achieve, and these shows will be something very special.”

Said Michael Chugg, “I have always been a huge fan of these boys, but the interest in this tour is just blowing me away. It’s at a level I’ve not seen in years. We’re witnessing a group at the top of it’s game - fans will have to be quick when general tickets go on sale at this week”.

Coldplay Add Even More Shows To Australian Tour 2009

... so what did Coldplay do next? Added a FOURTH Sydney show, that's what. Here's Anchorman:

Good morning. We're pleased to confirm that Coldplay have announced three more Australian shows, taking the number of gigs on their 2009 Antipodean adventure to 11. The three new ones are at Perth on February 28th, Melbourne on March 5th and Sydney on March 15th. All of the Oz gigs are onsale now from here. Here's the full list of shows...

The full Australasian tour itinery is:

27 February 2009 - Burswood Dome, Perth, Australia

28 February 2009 - Burswood Dome, Perth, Australia

3 March 2009 - Rod Laver Arena, Melbourne, Australia

4 March 2009 - Rod Laver Arena, Melbourne, Australia

5 March 2009 - Rod Laver Arena, Melbourne, Australia

8 March 2009 - Entertainment Centre, Brisbane, Australia

9 March 2009 - Entertainment Centre, Brisbane, Australia

11 March 2009 - Acer Arena, Sydney, Australia

12 March 2009 - Acer Arena, Sydney, Australia

14 March 2009 - Acer Arena, Sydney, Australia

15 March 2009 - Acer Arena, Sydney, Australia

18 March 2009 - Vector Arena, Auckland, New Zealand

19 March 2009 - Vector Arena, Auckland, New Zealand

Coldplay Rake in Seven Grammy Nominations

British acts dominated the nominations for record of the year at the Grammy Awards. Coldplay, Adele, Leona Lewis, Led Zeppelin singer Robert Plant and MIA will all compete with each other for the major honour at the awards show on February 8. Here were Coldplay's nominations:

- Record Of The Year (Viva La Vida)

- Album Of The Year (Viva La Vida Or Death And All His Friends)

- Song Of The Year (Viva La Vida)

- Best Pop Performance By A Duo Or Group With Vocals (Viva La Vida)

- Best Rock Performance By A Duo Or Group With Vocals (Violet Hill)

- Best Rock Song (Violet Hill)

- Best Rock Album (Viva La Vida Or Death And All His Friends)

grammy%20pic.jpg

Continuing UK Tour... and Confused Roadies...!

Roadies must really have been all over the place after a gruelling 6 month tour:

Checkout.jpg

Here was Roadie #42 trying to make sense of it all:

The joy of three shows in one venue is the fact that there is a glorious day in the middle with no load in and no load out. For the crew, this is utter luxury. Also tonight, we're all staying in the same hotel, so there's chance for a bit of a social. As ever, there is much drinking involved and a late finish. Special note must be made of Mr Dave Favorita, the lighting crew chief, who decided after a hard day at the gig and at the hotel bar, that a long hot bath was in order. It transpires that in his somewhat relaxed state, he woke in the bath to realise that he'd drifted off with the taps still running.

Quite how much time had passed is unclear, but it was enough to not only put the bathroom under an inch of water, but also to soak his luggage - which was all the way over on the other side of his hotel room. Dave apparently went to the front desk and calmly asked for a new room as he wasn't happy with the plumbing where he was.

In celebration the following day, the wall in catering was adorned with a picture from the newspaper of a man trudging through a flooded Venice waist deep in water, annotated with the words 'Disaster Dave'. It has also been suggested that he now be referred to as Noah. Myself, I think that falling asleep in the bath is very dangerous (and by his own admission, he does it regularly). I have added a snorkel to the runner's shopping list tomorrow which should ensure he stays with us for a long time to come. Safety first....

Pete Lusby of Oxfam meanwhie, was not enjoying the British weather:

After an overnight drive up to Glasgow, we are here at the SECC. There’s frost on the trees and that kind of cold clear blue in the air. The Oxfam case is out in the ‘cold-zone’ as Fin described it earlier. That is right behind the stage. It’ll be good when that crowd show up later on and warm the place up a bit! Just a little short blog.. to say.. “brrr”.

Meanwhile Roy Summers from the UK, was a little fucking upset over Chris Martin's onstage swearing:

December 4, 2008 - submitted by Roy Summers, United Kingdom

Q. Dear Oracle, Last night the concert was brilliant, but marred for me by Chris Martin swearing. I took my sons with me, there were lots of other children. There is surely no need to swear. Can you assure me that this is abnormal? Sincerely

The Oracle replies:

I can't assure you it's abnormal no, as it's very commonplace and has been around for centuries. They are just words. I know not everyone agrees and it is a personal choice. It is also a form of expression and as that is personal too it cannot be something one is told not to do. I don't wish to sound uncaring but whatever Chris says, it's no worse than kids hear in the playground these days or on television. It does seem to be more acceptable than previously but I am quite sure he wasn't effing and jeffing every other word. Swearing can sometimes perfectly illustrate a passion, mood, reaction and can be humorous. If it makes you feel any better as a father, Chris' Dad doesn't like Chris swearing either!

To pick an early UK date, lets plump for Liverpool:

If ever there was a man who sums up the phrase “dance like there's nobody watching” it’s Chris Martin.

The Coldplay singer jigged and bounced around the ECHO arena stage last night like an over-excited puppy, clearly loving every minute. The packed crowd responded with equal glee, singing, cheering whooping and hollering. That’s the surprising thing about a Coldplay gig. For a band which made its name with some downright miserable lyrics (“Nobody said it was easy, no one ever said it would be this hard” anyone?), they put on a refreshingly cheerful show.

They’ve already done more than 80 gigs around the world promoting new album Viva la Vida. It’s clear that this is arena-craft at its most refined. As Chris pointed out, in a moment eerily reminiscent of Bruce Forsyth: “We’ve done 87 of these shows now and you could well be our number one crowd yet.”

kivta17.jpg

Guy doesn't like his balls...

kivta28.jpg

Guitarist Joe Satriani Files Plagiarism Lawsuit Against Coldplay

Rock guitarist Joe Satriani began legal proceedings against Coldplay, accusing the Grammy-nominated stars of plagiarizing one of his songs.

Satriani's copyright infringement suit, filed early December in Los Angeles federal court, claimed the Coldplay song "Viva La Vida" incorporates "substantial original portions" of his 2004 instrumental "If I Could Fly."

The 52-year-old guitar virtuoso is seeking a jury trial, damages and "any and all profits" attributable to the alleged copyright infringement. Coldplay, whose soaring atmospheric tunes are often compared to those of Irish rock band U2, received seven Grammy nominations on Wednesday, second only to rapper Lil Wayne. Among its mentions were nominations in the key record and song of the year categories for "Viva La Vida," which comes from the band's chart-topping album "Viva La Vida or Death and All His Friends."

joe-satriani-coldplay-460-100-460-70.jpg

Joe Satriani recalls the exact emotion he felt when he first heard Coldplay's Viva La Vida. "I felt like a dagger went right through my heart. It hurt so much," Satriani says. "The second I heard it, I knew it was [my own] If I Could Fly."

As it turned out, Satriani wasn't the only one who noticed the similarity between If I Could Fly and Viva La Vida. "Almost immediately, from the minute their song came out, my e-mail box flooded with people going, 'Have you heard this song by Coldplay? They ripped you off man.' I mean, I couldn't tell you how many e-mails I received.

Coldplay Respond Officially to Joe Satriani

A statement from the band, along with discussion:

"With the greatest possible respect to Joe Satriani, we have now unfortunately found it necessary to respond publicly to his allegations. If there are any similarities between our two pieces of music, they are entirely coincidental, and just as surprising to us as to him. Joe Satriani is a great musician, but he did not write or have any influence upon the song Viva La Vida. We respectfully ask him to accept our assurances of this and wish him well with all future endeavours. Coldplay."

This was becoming a PR disaster for Coldplay and a couple of videos on YouTube comparing the two songs were each getting a couple of million views. In short the controversy was generating a lot of online buzz.

Some commentators were advising that Coldplay should kick their PR machinery into action. Well it looked like that advice has been heeded. Those videos on YouTube comparing the two songs (and other similar ones) had been removed, in their place is the following message: This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by EMI Music.

Read the actual court document detailing the case against Coldplay here [pdf... right click, save as]

The court docs were filed on 4 December - and so of course, the Internet being the extraordinary global gossip network that it is, the story has swamped a million blogs and newspapers. Joe has done an interview with Music Radar saying that it “felt like a dagger went right through my heart” when he first heard Coldplay’s composition. Following the media frenzy, Coldplay has responded with a note on its website saying “if there are any similarities between our two pieces of music, they are entirely coincidental” and asking that Joe “respectfully accept our assurances” that they didn’t rip him off.

Life In Technicolor ii Promo Single Found On eBay (including new artwork)

Coldplay's Life In Technicolor ii 2-track single promo had been found on eBay. The CD features both the Radio Edit and the Prospekt's March EP version - the tracklisting written on the promo sleeve is as follows:

1. Life In Technicolor ii (Radio Edit)

2. Life In Technicolor ii (Prospekt's March Version)

LITii5.jpgLITii4.jpgLITii6.jpg

Winner of Coldplay's Lost? Video Competition Announced

Coldplayannounced the winner of their Lost? video competition. This from Anchorman and Prospekt:

Good evening. The band have watched the shortlist. The votes have been counted. The winner has been decided. click here to find out which video it is. Anchorman

lostcomp1.jpg

lostcomp2.jpg

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_n84qmInUj4]YouTube - Coldplay - Lost? (Competition Entry)[/ame]

lostcomp3.jpg

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSBT_oqIuhg]YouTube - LOST? Coldplay - French Revolution.divx[/ame]

lostcomp4.jpg

Coldplay awarded the silver medal in their "Lost!" Music Video contest to Martin Buzora and Black Fawn Films for their entry "Revolution 1789". The video starring Peter Higginson was filmed on Saturday, November 22nd on a farm just outside of Guelph. Pick-up shots and editing took place within the week and the video was online at the video-sharing site You Tube by the next Monday, December 1st; the contest's deadline. "The film turned out to be an unbelievable achievement," says Buzora of his remarkable success, and he, in turn, offers his congratulations and appreciation to all those that helped out to make this video an unmitigated success.

"The response to this competition has been staggering," says a message on the band's website. "The band and I have been overwhelmed by the sheer brilliance of the entries." Of Buzora's video, Coldplay calls it "exceptional." The winner of the contest was Paul O'Brien, who made his video with a combination of claymation and computer graphics.

Coldplay Announce New European Stadium Dates For 2009

This from Anchorman at the official site:

Good morning. We're very pleased to announce that Coldplay will be playing some outdoor shows in Europe in 2009.

The confirmed dates were:

16 August 2009 - MCH Arena, Herning, Denmark

19 August 2009 - Koengen, Bergen, Norway

22 August 2009 - Olympic Stadium, Stockholm, Sweden

25 August 2009 - Hannover Stadium, Hannover, Germany

27 August 2009 - LTU Arena, Dusseldorf, Germany

29 August 2009 - Reitstadion Riem, Munich, Germany

31 August 2009: Stadio Friuli, Udine, Italy

2 September 2009 - Stade de Suisse, Bern, Switzerland

4 September 2009 - Estadi Olimpic, Barcelona, Spain

7 September 2009 - Parc De Prince, Paris, France

9 September 2009 - Goffertpark, Nijmegen, Netherlands

10 September 2009 - Goffertpark, Nijmegen, Netherlands

Chris Martin & Gwyneth Paltrow Enjoy Anniversary Celebrations

Chris Martin & Gwyneth Paltrow celebrated their fifth wedding anniversary in London over the weekend (6-7th December 2008) - brushing off rumours their marriage is in trouble.

The couple - who have two children together - wed on 5th December 2003, but they have recently been dogged by rumours of an impending split. And speculation about their relationship mounted on Friday (5th December 2008) after Coldplay star Martin was pictured leaving the family's London home alone, carrying his guitar.

But a representative for the Hollywood actress insists that the couple spent the landmark day together with their children. The spokesperson tells the New York Daily News, "(They) had a lovely day celebrating."

Absolutepunk Reviews Coldplay's Prospekt's March EP (81%)

There were some good reviews rolling in for Coldplay's new EP. This was from Absolutepunk:

If there was a book called, Critiquing Music for Dummies, somewhere inside would be a passage about how you must hate Coldplay and anything they put out. In fact, giving Coldplay poor reviews has been a growing trend over the years. The band's latest LP Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends changed that quite a bit. While it was far from their Joshua Tree, Viva La Vida was a solid album that had the band heading in the right direction.

Only 5 short months later, the most legally downloaded album of all time has yet to fade away. Despite this, Coldplay still decided to release their latest effort, Prospekt's March. The EP contains 8 tracks, including 6 brand new songs from the Viva La Vida sessions last year. The remaining tracks are "Lost +", and "Lovers in Japan (Osaka Sun Mix)". The first is the original "Lost!" as we know it with a perfect hint of Jay-Z during the bridge. "Lovers in Japan (Osaka Sun Mix)" is also very much like the original, except it is no longer attached to "Reign of Love," and contains slight differences in vocal harmonies.

Chis Martin described the new material on the EP as tracks that the band was "shy about putting out."

Chris Martin Takes Apple & Moses to Winter Wonderland, Hyde Park, London

Chris Martin was pictured enjoying an evening at the Hyde Park Winter Wonderland with daughter Apple, son Moses and friends. Here's the media's story:

Coldplay frontman Chris Martin took daughter Apple Blythe, 4 ½, for quite a ride in London on Wednesday! The duo braved the fun slide at Hyde Park’s Winter Wonderland, staying bundled up and bright-eyed. Chris accompanied Apple and son, Moses, 2 ½, plus a group of the children’s friends. Mom is wife Gwyneth Paltrow. Chris’s band is up for seven Grammy awards in February.

cmhyde19.jpg

cmhyde17.jpg

cmhyde10.jpg

cmhyde19.jpg

Roadie Reaches Home!

...in Manchester. Here was his report:

Finally, I spend an entire day off in bed and so see an end to the misery that is "the tour cold". Everyone is suffering. Folks have either had it, just finished it, or are right in the middle of it. It seems poor old Jon Hopkins has been hit harder than most though. He's come down with something a bit heavier than a cold and he's not with us for the Manchester shows. Let's hope he's better for London. I'm really looking forward to seeing him together with Viva co-conspirator Dav at the O2...

Manchester is a bit of a strange one, in that I wake up in my own bed and have breakfast at home, then go into the gig. This must be what it feels like having a proper job....

Chris comes in to soundcheck in Manchester. He's just running through a few new things on his own which are being recorded for reference back at the Bakery. A lot of songs begin like this. I remember the first time I ever heard Lost!, it was in an empty arena in Chicago, with just piano and voice. I still have the recording I made that day. It's a lot like the version on the EP (Lost?), except with a huge swimmy arena echo backing it. It was impossible to hear it then and not be blown away.

Empty.jpg

Bloons.jpg

Coldplay Pick Up 'Best International Artist' at Premios 40 Principales 2008

Coldplay won the award Mejor Artista Internacional at Premios 40 Principales 2008, held in Spain. Another acknowledgement for the band following the double platinum reached in Spain with the album Viva La Vida Or Death And All His Friends.

Coldplay didn't attend the awards ceremony due to their current UK tour but Will Champion thanked those supporting Coldplay via video link, wishing them 'Feliz Navidad'. You can watch the official video of the awards ceremony which includes Will Champion's greeting at the official Premios40 Principales website below:

[ame=http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=2TCFxNbMp8I]YouTube - Coldplay - Will Champion (Acceptance Video) - Premios 40...[/ame]

IQ Magazine: Life, Death And Butterflies - World Coldplay Tour Exclusive

DOWNLOAD PDF! http://www.ilmc.com/images/stories/iq_pdfs/iq_21.pdf

IQ magazine’s December issue contained a world exclusive behind the scene report on Coldplay’s Viva la Vida World Tour, entitled Life, Death And Butterflies. Here's the synopsis of the Coldplay article:

Life, Death & Butterflies is a 16-page feature chronicling the Viva la Vida tour, sanctioned by Coldplay’s management and published by international live music business magazine IQ. Including exclusive interviews with management, key production personnel, booking agents, promoters and suppliers, it tells the inside story of how the tour was put together, what makes it tick and just what makes it such an original and ground-breaking production. This issue of IQ also includes an exclusive interview with Glastonbury festival founder Michael Eavis, as well as a roundup of the live music business in 2008.

iqmag15.jpg

iqmag14.jpg

iqmag13.jpg

iqmag12.jpg

iqmag11.jpg

iqmag10.jpg

iqmag9.jpg

iqmag8.jpg

iqmag7.jpg

iqmag6.jpg

iqmag5.jpg

iqmag4.jpg

iqmag3.jpg

iqmag2.jpg

iqmag1.jpg

Coldplay Reach London Town!

ext.jpg

Coldplay formed a new supergroup at their three dates at the O2 Arena residency with comic actor Simon Pegg.

Midway through the set, much to the sell-out crowd's surprise, the band walked into the first tier of the audience. With a solitary spotlight beaming on them, Chris Martin announced: “In homage to Robbie Williams rejoining Take That, we're going to form our own supergroup, ladies and gentlemen it's Simon Pegg!”

A somewhat nervous looking Pegg shuffled on and performed harmonica with the band on 'Green Eyes' and the Will Champion sung 'Death Will Never Conquer'. Pegg is a close friend of Chris Martin and is godfather to his daughter with Gwyneth Paltrow, Apple. Earlier on in the triumphant set, while beckoning the crowd to sing with him during 'Yellow', Martin made a cheeky reference to American guitarist Joe Satriani who claims 'Viva La Vida' borrows substantial portions of his 2004 track 'If I Could Fly'. Martin joked: “Given that we've only got two hit singles and one of them is about to be taken away by some guitarist, give it all you can.”

Five.jpg

The more numerically gifted of you will have noted that that is actually five fellas up on the C-stage. (Not including Hoppy...) That's because tonight, they're being joined on the C-stage by... nah, I'd better not. [Roadie #42]

Here's more from Roadie:

Here I am, sitting outside the production office in the O2 arena. It's the first of the "Big London Shows" today, which would traditionally mean much stress and fretting all round. However, we've managed to completely circumvent any last minute nerves by being so insanely busy that worrying has fallen off the to-do list entirely.

Whilst the first of the 14 trucks are being spilled onto the arena floor at the O2 in east London, a bunch of us are way out west at BBC Television Centre setting up for a TV show. There's no band here when it's time for "camera rehearsals" so the floor manager comes over to ask the crew to stand in the band's places. Suddenly, I find myself extremely busy with something. (Funny that.) Production Manager Craig Finley is up there on the kit giving it loads - he offers a most spirited performance (particularly given the hour) - although he definitely twirls his sticks a bit more than Mr Champion does...

Pegg.jpg

[ame=http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=G_8qt39KEbU]YouTube - Coldplay - Jingle Bells feat. Simon Pegg (O2 Arena, London)[/ame]

Pete Lusby of Oxfam was equally excited to be back:

We made it. And it was great! The band finally made it back to the start.. (well close enough, just a few tube stops away from Brixton). It was the first of three sold-out shows at the O2 Arena in London.

This morning, I stepped off the Jubilee Line, at Greenwich North Station, looked up, and saw huge cranes sticking out of a big, white, dome-shaped tent. It was the sight of the Millenium dome. I had only ever seen it on TV, or from a distance on my way around London.. but today, the big show was inside this thing. The first thing Oxfam’s rep did, was get completely lost by going in the ’staff entrance’, going up some stairs and finding myself in a restaurant warehouse, going through a door, past some bemused bar staff polishing glasses, down some steps, and finding myself by the main entrance.. Lot’s easier.

I set up the Oxfam tables and got ready to meet the volunteers. Another great group tonight. Full of energy. Keen to get started.. Another massive crowd tonight. Waiting to applaud the band’s homecoming.

Xfm Meets Coldplay: Exclusive Manchester Interviews

Currently on a sell-out tour of the land’s arenas, frontman Chris Martin and drummer Will Champion spoke to Xfm Manchester’s Clint Boon before venturing off to headline the city’s MEN Arena. Listen to the five-part interview at the XFM website here and read the excerpts of each part below.

Part 1 – They talk about building the ‘Coldplay sound’, secretly penning reggae tracks, and ‘Chris Martin’s Analogy Of The Week’.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/c5ce7b

Part 2 – They talk about what it was like to work with Brian Eno, the future of the album, and being behind U2 in the Biggest Band pecking order.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/65eopq

Part 3 – They talk about who the next Coldplay could be, and how the music industry has changed over time.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/zw2xbl

Part 4 – They talk about the early days, realising their success, and Chris Martin’s offstage insecurities.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/tzpd3q

Part 5 – They talk about being affected by critics, and the influence of Manchester.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/vnrb04

Slipknot's Foul-mouthed Coldplay Viva La Vida Tirade

Slipknot frontman Corey Taylor blasted Coldplay's music, claiming their current album Viva La Vida was "self-celebratory".

The singer, speaking on Zane Lowe's show on MTV 2, was asked to describe his thoughts on the band's current offering and launched into a foul-mouthed tirade against it. Pulling no punches, Taylor said there was absolutely nothing about Viva La Vida or Death and All His Friends that he liked. "That is one of the most self-celebratory pieces of **** I've ever ******* heard in my entire ******* life … I ******* hate that album. It's music to wipe your ass to. Go suck a ******* ****. Are you watching Martin? Suck it. Go eat a bag of ****," he stated.

Coldplay's fourth record is the fastest selling album in the UK this year, spending four weeks at number one when it was released in June. It has also topped the charts in 35 other countries, and has sold over two million copies in the US alone.

(That's something to f****** suck on is it not, Taylor?)

Corporate PR and Media Clash Over Coldplay's Dublin Performance

Dublin's media sources spat their dummy out over Coldplay's PR treatment of them. Here's their message:

With just a couple of days to Christmas, Coldplay became one of the first bands to play Dublin’s newly revamped Point Depot, report State Ireland. The venue’s rechristening under the corporate banner of the O2 should have been a sign that Coldplay too, are now a huge corporate entity. Having easily sold out two nights in the O2 and with a huge outdoor summer show coming to the capital in 2009, tickets are being touted outside for well over €100 as fans made the long walk down the quays in the drizzling December rain.

Said State: "We had wanted to bring you a review of the bands performance, lots of audience feedback on the gig and the new venue but sadly, corporate PR companies got in the way. Coldplay are at a stage where they are worth so much money that they have people who enforce rules on the way the media can report their shows. The photographers were ushered into an area, no more than 10 foot by three foot, about 100 metres from the centre of the stage. We could photograph songs 2, 3 and 4 only. Coldplay’s PR company made us sign contracts to hand over all copyright of the pictures to them to exploit as they wish. Not really the sign of a band who are looking for attention at a time when most bands need as much press coverage as possible to survive in a troubled financial time.

Oxfam's Pete Lusby was far more upbeat however:

I’m sitting in the newly revamped O2 Arena, Dublin. Last Tuesday, this venue was re-opened. Coldplay is only the third show to pass through. 8′500 people will pack into the arena tonight, and again tomorrow. There is only three days to go on this tour. I thought I was going to escape the strange illness that has been doing the rounds in the crew. Unfortunately, it got me in the end. I’m on the kiwi fruits and orange juice today..

Yesterday, I visited the famous storehouse of Arthur Guinness. The cobbled streets and darkened passages around the old factory buildings was quite a sight. Real atmosphere. You could just imagine the barrels rolling down the streets and a huge workforce piling in and out. The black gates through the streets guarding the special secrets of this ancient brew.. As we pulled up on the open-top bus tour, it felt a bit like Charlie the Chocolate Factory for adults. Sadly.. I didn’t see any umpa-lumpas..

An acoustic interlude took the show quite literally into the audience. Martin joked that this is the "Boyzone segment" of the night, as the band launch into 'Jingle Bells' and drummer Will Champion gives 'Fairytale of New York' a lash with 10,000 or so on backing vocals:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqCHQ5VITLc]YouTube - Coldplay (Fairytale Of New York) O2 Dublin[/ame]

Chris Martin on Chris Moyles's Radio 1 Breakfast Show

According to the media (NME!) Chris Martin admitted that the band's 2000 single 'Shiver' was essentially a Jeff Buckley rip-off. Chris was speaking on the Chris Moyles Show on BBC Radio 1 (December 18) when he made the admission. "It's a blatant Jeff Buckley attempt," he told Moyles. "Not quite as good, that's what I think. We were 21 and he was very much a hero, and as with those things it tends to filter through."

Chris also revealed that he thinks the band's recent London gigs should have been better. The band played the UK capital's O2 Arena earlier this week (December 14, 15, 16). When Moyles asked the singer how he thought the London gigs went, Martin replied, "I would give them a three out of ten". However, the frontman did admit afterwards that he was notoriously difficult to please, saying that the score was "good for me".

Watch Chris Martin via webcam at the Radio 1 studios:

[ame=http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=PGMM2mHN8sU]YouTube - Chris Martin on Radio 1 Breakfast Show (18th December 2008)[/ame]

A Christmas Pressie From Coldplay

You can grab a free download and watch a festive film, courtesy of Coldplay's official site. Here's Anchorman with full details:

Good morning. We've just unveiled a couple of Christmas treats on the site for you. Click here to get a free download of the slammin' Thin White Duke remix of Viva La Vida and to watch the band performing a special festive tune. They'll be available until Twelfth Night (aka Jan 5th). Happy Christmas folks. Anchorman.

In addition, Coldplay performed on the return of Top Of The Pops. They played Life In Technicolor ii and also Viva La Vida. We'd love to show you the performances but BBC claimed copyright to the YouTube uploads. Seasons greetings to the corporation :dozey: ...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziYV_U8j7Rk[/ame]

Coldplay Leading The Odds For Brit Awards 2009 Success

What will 2009 bring... well hopefully more awards from Coldplay. Nominations for the Brit Awards 2009 won't be revealed until 18th February 2009 but already people are talking on which group will pick up the gong. Current market leader with Paddy Power in the betting for Best Group are Coldplay at 11/10, followed by Take That at odds of 6/4. You can be a bit more adventurous with your wager if you fancy backing an outsider and take Glasvegas at 20/1 or Last Show Puppets at 50/1.

Coldplay - 11/10

Take That - 6/4

Kaiser Chiefs - 8/1

Girls Aloud - 10/1

Oasis - 12/1

---------------------

That completes Coldplaying.com's Coldplay review of 2008. Hope you enjoyed reading/listening/watching it. Coldplay stuff never stops with Coldplaying... have a good 2009!

UK Tour for me...

It was my 5th Coldplay concert and while I've enjoyed all the others, this one was on a whole other level.

I had the flu, a camera that wouldn't work and a 50 minute wait to get out the car park afterwards but it was absolutely brilliant. The best concert I've ever been to.

Just 254 days 'til I next see them at LCCC :lol:

Guy doesn't like his balls...

Oooooh........finally, a logical explanation of all the gaze-at-Guy's-crotch pix that day!!! :laugh3:

brumhug.jpg

Guy: Hey guys........my balls suck today!

Will: Really?! *Looks down at Guy's crotch*

Jonny: Really?! *Looks down at Guy's crotch while enjoying Chris's grip of his ass!*

Chris: Oh really?!!!! *Immediatelly, bends down to Guy's crotch*

Chris (Talking to himself): My balls suck........oh Guy.....I love you.......gihehehehe!

It wasn't when I first looked.

I vote for the photo blog and the return of the Sockfoot. :D

& I vote for the photo blog & the trolly orgy............it was hot :wink3:

:laugh3:

Oooooh........finally, a logical explanation of all the gaze-at-Guy's-crotch pix that day!!! :laugh3:

Guy: Hey guys........my balls suck today!

Will: Really?! *Looks down at Guy's crotch*

Jonny: Really?! *Looks down at Guy's crotch while enjoying Chris's grip of his ass!*

Chris: Oh really?!!!! *Immediatelly, bends down to Guy's crotch*

Chris (Talking to himself): My balls suck........oh Guy.....I love you.......gihehehehe!

:lol:

& I vote for the photo blog & the trolly orgy............it was hot :wink3:

:laugh3:

Ahhhh.. the trolly orgy.......... :wacky: Good times.... :smug:

:lol:

• 1 year later...