Jump to content

Husband blows himself up trying to kill a spider with an aerosol


Recommended Posts

Husband blows himself up trying to kill a spider with an aerosol



By Daily Mail Reporter

Last updated at 12:35 PM on 1st September 2010



Every women wants a man to show her his chivalric side - but when this damsel was distressed by a spider, and her husband had a burning desire to save the day, there were explosive results.

IT engineer Chris Welding, jumped into action after the arachnid frightened his wife Janine yesterday evening, and chased the spider into their bathroom in Clacton, Essex.

Wielding a flammable aerosol can, he sprayed the spider as it cowered behind the toilet pan - then lit a cigarette lighter to see if he had killed it.

However, the flame ignited the gas and caused a massive explosion which blew the man off his feet and lifted the loft door off its hinges, causing severe burns.


article-1307756-0AFC0D1E000005DC-993_468x462.jpg Explosive: IT worker Chris Welding suffered severe burns when he tried to kill a spider in his bathroom with a flammable aerosol can and a lighter


He suffered flash burns to his head, legs and torso and was rushed by ambulance to hospital after dousing himself in cold water.

Welding, who has two children aged four and two, said: 'It was about 10.30pm last night. My wife was getting ready for bed and suddenly she let out a scream.

'She said there was a spider in the bathroom and asked me to get rid of it - neither she or the kids would go in there.

'The spider had crawled into the recess behind the loo and there was no way I could get to it.

'Stupid as it is, I grabbed a can of deodorant and a lighter and sprayed it behind the loo. The flame shot out and went round the back of the toilet and came back out at me.

'It was a bit of a shock. I've got two burned fingers and a burned knuckle. I wasn't badly injured but they wanted to check I hadn't inhaled any of the fumes.

A spokesman for Essex Fire Service said: 'It appears the wife had spotted the creepy crawly in the bathroom and asked her husband to capture it.

'He sprayed it first with an aerosol where it was lurking behind the toilet bowl and when that didn't appear to work, he lit up his lighter to spread some light on the situation as the bathroom bulb had blown.

'There was an almighty explosion which blew the man back into his hallway and lifted the hatch on the loft.

'He did exactly the right thing by jumping into the shower and cooling his burns with cold water while his wife raised the alarm.

'Firefighters arriving at the scene administered emergency first aid while waiting for Ambulance teams to arrive and the man, who was 28 years old, was left in their care.

'There was some scorching to the back of the toilet but any fire was out before crews arrived at the scene.

'We're not entirely sure whether the spider got away or not but there was no sign of it at the scene.'



Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1307756/Man-blows-killing-spider-aerosol-can.html#ixzz0yJKCN0Ea

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Create New...