✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Fender Telecaster Deluxe '72 opinions

crestingwaves

Hello all,

I'm wondering whether anyone has this said guitar (which has been used by Chris and Jonny at times) and was wondering on their opinions on how it plays and anything else worth mentioning.

Also, if you have any good pictures of Chris (or Jonny) using it, I'd be very thankful if you could post them here.

Cheers.

• 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

i don't own a deluxe but i own a thin line which is the same guitar jonny is famous for using. And I can tell you, it doesn't give the jonny tone of coldplay studio records, but it sure does give a very similar tone to his live one.

• 2 months later...
Hello all,

I'm wondering whether anyone has this said guitar (which has been used by Chris and Jonny at times) and was wondering on their opinions on how it plays and anything else worth mentioning.

Also, if you have any good pictures of Chris (or Jonny) using it, I'd be very thankful if you could post them here.

Cheers.

I've had the chance to play several of them, and I own a real one from the mid 70's. (as opposed to a reissue). I like them quite a bit, and I think they're pretty versitile as far as style goes, but they're not for everyone. They certainly are not in line with the typical "fender" tone a lot of people want. Actually, it sounds more akin to a Les Paul or something, but it has the better (imho) ergonomics, playing feel, and build construction of a fender.

The new ones are great value for the money too, and if you are looking for a vintage one, they're fairly common and fairly reasonable in price as far as vintage guitars go.

As with any guitar though, I'd never buy one without playing it first. If you find one you like, go for it! :)

i don't own a deluxe but i own a thin line which is the same guitar jonny is famous for using. And I can tell you, it doesn't give the jonny tone of coldplay studio records, but it sure does give a very similar tone to his live one.

That's because he most likely uses a bunch of other stuff in the studio. There are a fair amount of studio photos with him playing guitars in the studio that he doesn't use live, that and a ton of effects.

Do you know which guitar he uses in studio ?

Not exactly, but I would assume he, like most guitarists in massive bands, he uses a wide variety of guitars and amps to get his studio sound. I've seen pictures of him in the studio with most of his stage guitars, but also others, like (what appears to be) a goldtop les paul, an old guild, and a moog guitar that has a lot of synth effects and whatnot built in.

I've seen him use a huge variety of amps as well, so I'm not sure there either, but I've seen him using various fenders, marshalls (what appears to be) an Orange cab and head, and a couple of really old vibrotone/silvertone amps from the 50's or early 60's.

A lot of pro guitarists have massive collections, into the 100's of instruments, and JB most likely has some vintage or rare pieces that don't tour, so there's not much way of knowing exactly what he used for any given song, and even if you did, you'd need a ton of money to replicate it.

I will also add that guitars and amps are funny in that two of the exact same model still won't sound exactly the same (and this goes double for vintage and modded gear) and a large amount of studio tone comes from things like mic placement so you'll never perfectly replicate someone else's tone. I would suggest just finding a tone that sounds good to your ear.

Not exactly, but I would assume he, like most guitarists in massive bands, he uses a wide variety of guitars and amps to get his studio sound. I've seen pictures of him in the studio with most of his stage guitars, but also others, like (what appears to be) a goldtop les paul, an old guild, and a moog guitar that has a lot of synth effects and whatnot built in.

I've seen him use a huge variety of amps as well, so I'm not sure there either, but I've seen him using various fenders, marshalls (what appears to be) an Orange cab and head, and a couple of really old vibrotone/silvertone amps from the 50's or early 60's.

A lot of pro guitarists have massive collections, into the 100's of instruments, and JB most likely has some vintage or rare pieces that don't tour, so there's not much way of knowing exactly what he used for any given song, and even if you did, you'd need a ton of money to replicate it.

I will also add that guitars and amps are funny in that two of the exact same model still won't sound exactly the same (and this goes double for vintage and modded gear) and a large amount of studio tone comes from things like mic placement so you'll never perfectly replicate someone else's tone. I would suggest just finding a tone that sounds good to your ear.

Oh thanks :) that's just all i wanted to know

Oh thanks :) that's just all i wanted to know

Glad I could help. I've spent a rather large amount of time obsessing over Jonny's sound and equipment, so if you have any more questions feel free to post or PM me.

Basically, if you're looking for an approximation of Jonny's sound, any fender with the widerange pickups, plus a fender amp plus some sort of delay should get you fairly close.

There's also a member here named Deano, who's lead guitar in a Coldplay tribute band (who manage a great approximation of the actual Coldplay sound IMHO), and he's posted a lot of great details about what effects and stuff he uses, so it might interest you to look him up for technical details.

Glad I could help. I've spent a rather large amount of time obsessing over Jonny's sound and equipment, so if you have any more questions feel free to post or PM me.

Basically, if you're looking for an approximation of Jonny's sound, any fender with the widerange pickups, plus a fender amp plus some sort of delay should get you fairly close.

There's also a member here named Deano, who's lead guitar in a Coldplay tribute band (who manage a great approximation of the actual Coldplay sound IMHO), and he's posted a lot of great details about what effects and stuff he uses, so it might interest you to look him up for technical details.

Okay thanks :)

Yeah actually i'm looking for the sound Jonny has in "Strawberry Swing" , i would say he's using the telecaster thinline 72 + delay + kind of crunch overdrive + reverb maybe , but i'm not sure

Basically i love the guitar sound jonny makes in Viva la vida or Death and all of his friends album ( especially in Yes , Death and all of his friend , Strawberry Swing , 42 , Cemeteries of London ) , it's sound very british , and it's very close to Beatles guitar sound for certain tracks ( Strawberry Swing , 42 )

Okay thanks :)

Yeah actually i'm looking for the sound Jonny has in "Strawberry Swing" , i would say he's using the telecaster thinline 72 + delay + kind of crunch overdrive + reverb maybe , but i'm not sure

Basically i love the guitar sound jonny makes in Viva la vida or Death and all of his friends album ( especially in Yes , Death and all of his friend , Strawberry Swing , 42 , Cemeteries of London ) , it's sound very british , and it's very close to Beatles guitar sound for certain tracks ( Strawberry Swing , 42 )

I'm almost positive his specific reverb sound there is coming from the Eventide Processor in his rack, which is a really complex and insanely expensive effects processor. A lot of his Viva era effects come from that particular unit, which I believe is either an H8000 or an H7600 (I don't know rack effects all that well).

I'm almost positive his specific reverb sound there is coming from the Eventide Processor in his rack, which is a really complex and insanely expensive effects processor. A lot of his Viva era effects come from that particular unit, which I believe is either an H8000 or an H7600 (I don't know rack effects all that well).

I'm pretty sure it's a H7600 fakfak. I have the Eventide Space reverb pedal and though I've not tried I'm sure you could get the strawberry swing effect on there. It sounds like a backwards reverb to me. The Space has most of the reverb algorithms from the Eventide rack units, it's a great piece of kit. @42Panda The best thing to do is find some live versions, either bootlegs or official stuff and see what kind of tones Jonny uses live. His studio sound is always different to live, though I actually prefer his live tone, it's a bit more raw than the studio stuff.