✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Is Maurice watching? asks Sky presenter - No, he's dead, answers Bee Gee Robin Gibb

mc_squared

Is Maurice watching? asks Sky presenter - No, he's dead, answers Bee Gee Robin Gibb

By Daily Mail Reporter

Last updated at 7:05 PM on 9th October 2010

He made his career as part of one of music's most famous families but the Bee Gees' Robin Gibb was forced today to remind a news reporter that his twin brother passed away seven years ago.

After Barbara Windsor claimed to have slept with the late Maurice Gibb in the 1960s, his twin brother Robin was appearing on Sky News HD for the Saturday morning newspaper review.

But as Robin noted one paper had published a picture of a clean-shaven Maurice, Sky presenter Steve Dixon made an almighty gaffe by asking if Maurice would have been watching the news channel - even though he died in 2003.

Scroll down to see video

article-1319106-0B8B7536000005DC-64_468x286.jpg Robin Gibb as he reminded a Sky News presenter that his twin brother Maurice had died in 2003

The embarrassing exchange wasn't the first time the Bee Gees have been involved in an awkward on-air moment - Clive Anderson famously upset the trio so much during a 1997 interview that elder brother Barry stormed off the set, with twins Robin and Maurice swiftly following him.

More...

Sky News presenter Dixon didn't follow in Anderson's footsteps by referring to the Bee Gees as "tossers" but 60-year-old Robin still showed admirable restraint after being asked for his reaction to Windsor's claims about bedding Maurice Gibb and George Best during her youth.

article-0-0B51D4D1000005DC-496_233x423.jpg The Bee Gees in their 70s heyday - Maurice (centre) passed away in 2003

Dixon presented Windsor's quotes - taken from the Carry On star's upcoming interview with Piers Morgan - to Robin but the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame member was more interested in the sight of his late brother Maurice without facial hair.

"Most of the time I [knew] Maurice he had a beard so that's one of the first pictures I've seen of Maurice without a beard because it goes way back," he remarked.

Dixon then revealed he hadn't quite done his research into the Gibb family by asking Robin: "Is [Maurice] watching tonight?"

"He's not with us, he's gone! He died in 2003," replied Robin Gibb.

But as the Sky News host Steve Dixon audibly gulped in horror, the Grammy-winning musician showed the benefits of a lifetime in the entertainment industry as he remained calm and discussed his late brother Maurice.

"He was my twin brother but you can't tell," Robin continued, pointing to himself. "I've never had a beard but he had a beard for the whole of his adult life."

As a studio guest interjected that the discussion was "getting complicated", shamefaced Dixon admitted his mistake, saying "I'm getting my Gibb brothers mixed up."

A smiling Robin replied: "Well, there's three brothers you see, people often do get confused."

Clearly keen to move on from his gaffe, Sky host Dixon softly remarked: "Oh dear... let's finish off!"

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1319106/Is-Maurice-watching-asks-Sky-presenter--No-hes-dead-answers-Bee-Gee-Robin-Gibb.html#ixzz11t7Xy86E

But as the Sky News host Steve Dixon audibly gulped in horror, the Grammy-winning musician showed the benefits of a lifetime in the entertainment industry as he remained calm and discussed his late brother Maurice.

It's been 7 years, it's not like the guy died yesterday. Christ.