✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Feminism!

Arwen Evenstar

This week’s topic is a little controversial!

I have noticed in my personal life and in the media that many people do not really understand what feminism is about. There is a lot of misconception about feminism in our modern Western world.

I hope we can use this thread to discuss what feminism means to each and every one of us and maybe we can help clear some misconceptions about feminism.

In a nutshell Feminisms is a doctrine that advocates equal rights for women.

It has nothing to do with women hating men or a bunch of lesbians burning bras!

There are many smart educated men who consider themselves feminist; this movement isn’t limited to women alone.

Since the original Feminist Movement that began a few decades ago, we have made tremendous progress. However there is still a lot of work to be done, women still do not enjoy the same benefits as men.

* Please keep all discussions civil, there is no need to attack anyone personally!

[ame=

]
[/ame]

firstly, the woman at the start of the video should not even be contemplating bringing up feminism on a first date!

Secondly, I fully support the feminist movement, Its crazy to think that its still an issue in 2010, that being said I am equally wary of positive discrimination.

ps. the people in that video are so ignorant it's sad :rolleyes:

Yeh, the group of guys especially.

It's not something I get worked up about, we have the same rights and standard of living in the Western World, I do think that things like pay should definatly be the same for men and women.

There also needs to be some common sense though, like I'm an 100 lb small framed girl, if I applied to be a brick layer on a building site I would hardly find it sexist if I got turned down for the job, likewise if a (straight non camp)man applied to work in a Beauty Salon he could hardly be surprised if he was turned down either.

Theres sexism and then there's common sense.

I make sexist jokes.

I'm not surprised :laugh3:

firstly, the woman at the start of the video should not even be contemplating bringing up feminism on a first date!

Secondly, I fully support the feminist movement, Its crazy to think that its still an issue in 2010, that being said I am equally wary of positive discrimination.

Yeh, the group of guys especially.

yes, why would you want to talk about feminism on your 1st date :inquisitive:

It's not something I get worked up about, we have the same rights and standard of living in the Western World, I do think that things like pay should definatly be the same for men and women.

There also needs to be some common sense though, like I'm an 100 lb small framed girl, if I applied to be a brick layer on a building site I would hardly find it sexist if I got turned down for the job, likewise if a (straight non camp)man applied to work in a Beauty Salon he could hardly be surprised if he was turned down either.

Theres sexism and then there's common sense.

I see what you are saying about using common sense, but if there was a girl who wanted to be a brick layer then she should be allowed to and if there was a straight guy who wanted to work in a beauty salon he should be allowed to.

I also joke w/ my sister sometimes about it, because she's very open and for it. But it's all in good fun and she knows it... i just like to push her buttons sometime :P

But seriously I personally feel that women should have the same rights/opportunities or pay as men. I think it is also very old fashioned and ignorant to think that a woman's job is to stay home, clean, and take care of the kids. They should be allowed to do whatever they like

I feel that this is a topic that goes into many different categories such as race/ethnicity, orientation, skin color, religion, etc. because it has to do with a common theme of equal rights. I personally feel it to be wrong to judge someone simply based off of them being different no matter what the area it is. I think everyone should have an equal opportunity to get a job or whatnot. At the same time I don't believe in Affirmative Action in the sense that I think when it comes to jobs people should be hired only on the basis of qualifications (and of course background history)... anything else doesn't matter

I see what you are saying about using common sense, but if there was a girl who wanted to be a brick layer then she should be allowed to and if there was a straight guy who wanted to work in a beauty salon he should be allowed to.

There's nothing stopping it legally but it's not sexist to get turned down, like the example I used, how could I possibly be a brick layer?, I'm far too small, I have no upper body strength therefore my sex has a massive impact on my ability to do the job, i.e. I would be shit at it, so how would it be sexist if I got rejected?.

There's nothing stopping it legally but it's not sexist to get turned down, like the example I used, how could I possibly be a brick layer?, I'm far too small, I have no upper body strength therefore my sex has a massive impact on my ability to do the job, i.e. I would be shit at it, so how would it be sexist if I got rejected?.

yes I agree, you personally couldn't be a brick layer, but I am just saying there are people who say women in general can't do that job because it is ment for men :rolleyes:

It annoys me when my brother says 'Women Driver eh' because not all women are terrible drivers. and I'd say women should be allowed to do jobs that are generally considered a man's job , but I'm only saying that women shouldn't blame not getting a job on feminism especially f they weren't the best for that job.

It annoys me when my brother says 'Women Driver eh' because not all women are terrible drivers. and I'd say women should be allowed to do jobs that are generally considered a man's job , but I'm only saying that women shouldn't blame not getting a job on feminism especially f they weren't the best for that job.

you're right I completely agree!

I Know some prettaaay strong women who could probably be builders but I doubt they would want to be, I also know two girls who took a mechanics course for their GCSE, and I say good for them because I Know some boys take the mic but they are actually really smart when it comes to cars

For sure! I agree, women should be allowed to do whichever job they want, as long as they are fit for it. If that woman can't do a job because it really is a "man's job" she should not blame it on the employer being sexist. Like Katie says, vv, usually it's jobs that need a lot of physical strength.

I'm sure there are girls out there who are capable of doing it and do it, but overall jobs which rely on physical strength a great deal are going to be very difficult for a woman to get on the whole, although it's not really an issue as I doubt many women apply.

I'm fine at driving cars but I'm shit with anything mechanic, like now, I've run out of wiper wash, I'm going to wait until my car needs a service and ask them to put it in,or ask a friend to do it for me:embarrassed:

My mom does it for me :cheesy:

:disappointed:

But I'm a great driver :wacky: