✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Humanism taught in schools (another one of those religious debates)

Prince Myshkin

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/news/8937867.Atheism_to_be_taught_in_Blackburn_and_Darwen_schools/

Inspired by this news story in my local paper (wrongly entitled ''Atheism' to be taught' due to good old fashioned shock tactics to sell newspapers).

So they are going to teach children in my area about humanism (based on reason, justice and ethics) as a form of non-religion, alongside lessons about religions.

What are you views on it, and would you want a syllabus similar to this to be taught in your area? Do you think it is a positive step? Do you think it will 'confuse' children? Give reasons for or against, or both.

I'm confused by what the school exactly means by humanism. I mean, I never understood the term to have any theistic or atheistic connotation, as there's such thing as Christian humanism etc. In any case it sounds like all they're doing is explaining it alongside other beliefs systems.

I'm confused by what the school exactly means by humanism. I mean, I never understood the term to have any theistic or atheistic connotation, as there's such thing as Christian humanism etc. In any case it sounds like all they're doing is explaining it alongside other beliefs systems.

I think they are going with this interpretation:

A secular ideology which espouses reason, ethics, and justice, whilst specifically rejecting supernatural and religious dogma as a basis of morality and decision-making.

I think religious parents have the right to educate their kids the way they want to do it, same with non religious people who want a secular education for their children. In my school when we were old enough we had to choose if we wanted to receive religious education or not and thats what I think it's right. Not allowing something only make things worse. Sometimes the atheits are just fundamentalist close minded people (just like some religious people).

Well, considering "Education chiefs stressed that children will continue to learn about the six major faiths - Buddhism, Christianity, Hinduism, Islam, Judaism and Sikhism.", I think Humanism would be a good addition.

However, the fact that those religions mentioned above are taught in public schools in the UK in the first place is intriguing to me. Basically, by law that could never happen over here in public schools. Private schools yes, but not public schools. I suppose some of those classes could be taught as an elective course, but even that would be pushing it (I'm not aware of any that do). That would still be taxpayer money paying those teachers.

I think those religions should be taught. It is not teaching children to follow those religions, simply educating them on what they are in an effort to improve understand and therefore integration. Religious education should be that. An education on all the religions, looking at how other people around the world live their lives. You can't just ignore their existence in case the children decide to follow one of them. They have to make their own choices rather than just be born into a religion or non-religion and stay as they are. I personally would hope that with all of the evidence before them they would opt against a religion and all of the atrocities that come with them.

How come it doesn't happen in the US?

Guest howyousawtheworld

I think it's important children learn of religion around the world. Teaching, not preaching is the word here. You can't not teach religion as it's so entrenched into so many areas upon which children have to learn such as history, learning about new cultures etc. To deny them would be an utter sham of our education system. Anyone who thinks otherwise are very narrow minded in my view.

I'd prefer a system where all were taught in at least a basic level, rather than a choice. Then if you wish to carry on the subject you can choose a more specific area if you wish. Otherwise the children become entrenched in their already received wisdoms, rather than being open to new ideas and actually learning something.

I'd prefer a system where all were taught in at least a basic level, rather than a choice. Then if you wish to carry on the subject you can choose a more specific area if you wish. Otherwise the children become entrenched in their already received wisdoms, rather than being open to new ideas and actually learning something.

that's right. I wanted to add that to my reply actually. I don't think you can't choose "the right subject" if you are still a child. You are rather influenced by your parents and how you are brought up....I always chose catholic religion of course since we are catholic (not in a really serious way....), but I think it'd have been cool if I'd been taught something else, as well...I was always kinda interested in what they were taught in the non-religious subject....

I think that there should be separation of church and state in the sense that religious groups do not force their believes on education or government.

However I think that religions should at least be taught to keep people informed. I mean I think that Christopher Hitchens put it best what he does for his kids. Although he's an atheist... or rather anti-theist, he doesn't tell his children what to believe but lets them read the texts and study the religions for themselves to decide.

However I'd much rather have my kids in the future to be taught science and things that are backed up by facts, rather than doing something like dismissing something like evolution (which is backed up by scientific evidence) because it says we came from Adam and Eve in the bible. I think they should be informed about religions though and make their own decisions.

I think that there should be separation of church and state in the sense that religious groups do not force their believes on education or government.

Of course. But this is merely an education on religions. The fact they educate the children about all of them and not just a specific one shows it isn't biased. It shouldn't be anyway. If it is, then it is that that should be challenged. Not educating children about religion in the first place.

Of course. But this is merely an education on religions. The fact they educate the children about all of them and not just a specific one shows it isn't biased. It shouldn't be anyway. If it is, then it is that that should be challenged. Not educating children about religion in the first place.

no I agree. I mean I think that all religions should be taught... well rather have emphasis the major religions (since i'm sure there are thousands of them). I think it would not only keep people more informed but also more tolerant of others by gaining a better understanding of each other. But what I meant was that at least here (not to generalize), but more conservative states particuarly in the south tend to want to teach creationism as facts and dismiss science or evolution. Also schools having prayer time as well.

I guess for me it's teaching religion as an educational aspect rather than pushing it on you or stating it as facts.

The only religion that should be taught is "Jedi".:rolleyes:

This comment is narrow minded and offensive to Sith Lords:P.

On the subject of humanism I think it's a good idea and belive that teaching right and wrong and creating a decent secular moral compass, they should adapt this approach in schools nationally.