✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

ankle dork - random question

Elway

first off, sorry, i doubt this is the right place to ask, but i will anyway. to make a boring saga short, i have a random question about my ankle.

basically i was playing soccer about five weeks ago when, like a complete oaf, sprained my ankle. i heard it pop so it was pretty painful the first few hours. very swollen and bruised too.

within 24 hours i could pretty much walk on it normally. since then the pain is virtually gone with the ocassional jolt of aches, which have been minimal. my foot does feel more tired and heavy by the end of the day.

anyway, i elevated, ice, rested it the first week. i haven't gone to the doctor yet, because the swelling has decreased and the brusing is now gone.

however, my ankle is still swollen and the skin around it is stiff. should i go the doctors to have it checked out? or just wait and see if it goes down more overtime?

sorry, boring question i know.

:stunned:

JUST GO TO THE DOCTOR ALREADY! What kind of question is that anyway?! You strain your hurt foot everyday by just walking on it, and if it's still swollen and the skin is stiff I don't know what stops you from going to see the doc :wtf: Get there as soon as possible before your foot ends in some fucked up way.

Get well soon!

Guest howyousawtheworld
first off, sorry, i doubt this is the right place to ask, but i will anyway. to make a boring saga short, i have a random question about my ankle.

basically i was playing soccer about five weeks ago when, like a complete oaf, sprained my ankle. i heard it pop so it was pretty painful the first few hours. very swollen and bruised too.

within 24 hours i could pretty much walk on it normally. since then the pain is virtually gone with the ocassional jolt of aches, which have been minimal. my foot does feel more tired and heavy by the end of the day.

anyway, i elevated, ice, rested it the first week. i haven't gone to the doctor yet, because the swelling has decreased and the brusing is now gone.

however, my ankle is still swollen and the skin around it is stiff. should i go the doctors to have it checked out? or just wait and see if it goes down more overtime?

sorry, boring question i know.

Please get that checked out. I know of someone who was playing football and did his knee in. He left it for ages until it went green and then he went to the doctors. The doctor opened it up and it pretty much exploded there and then with blood and pus everywhere. His knee was like a bomb had gone off inside it. His knee tendons were totally finished and he had a horrible time recovering in hospital where he lost weight and everything. There was two options left for him - amputate up to his knee and get a prosthetic limb or not to amputate and walk knowing he could never bend his knee again. He didn't amputate and now he can't bend his knee.

Obviously yours is different but the lesson is just go to the doctor. Better to be safe than sorry.

Sounds like you rolled your ankle. I do that all the time playing football. Let the ankle rest and buy an ankle brace to prevent further injury.

i've rolled my ankle before too but never actually heard a pop until now.

that's what concerns me, the popping sound.

:stunned:

JUST GO TO THE DOCTOR ALREADY! What kind of question is that anyway?! You strain your hurt foot everyday by just walking on it, and if it's still swollen and the skin is stiff I don't know what stops you from going to see the doc :wtf: Get there as soon as possible before your foot ends in some fucked up way.

Get well soon!

time, money and insurance is what prevents me from going to the doctor.

as i stated in first post, there's very little pain when i walk, except for the occasional jolt. no foot pain except the rare times at the end of the day where it feels tired and heavy, but i'm not limping. actually, i've been told movement like walking and swimming which i've been doing helps make the ankle stronger.

my friends have told me to wait a month and see if anything changes. i'm only concerned because of the swolleness that remains and of course the 'pop' i heard.

look, i was just wondering if someone had a similar situation and if they relied on the human body to heal overtime or went to medicine, which i think society does far too often, but that's a different story.

anyway, thanks for your reply.

i've rolled my ankle before too but never actually heard a pop until now.

that's what concerns me, the popping sound.

What kind of popping? Like the bones in the ankle are just cracking? Or some other kind of low-tone popping? That can make a difference. I pitched in softball several years and the ankle of my landing foot cracks all the time now when I walk, but it doesn't hurt and there's not any damage. I think it's the other kind of popping that would be of a concern though.

Either way you should get it checked out, it couldn't hurt to go; even if nothing is wrong it would at least give you peace of mind.

edit: If your concern is money/lack of insurance, maybe there's another way to get some advice. Do any of your friends and/or fellow teammates have parents that are nurses or doctors? If you ask their opinion, it's not like they are going to turn you down.

I'll just try and expand myself.

I have never taken traumatology classes (will do in less than a year) but I can only assume that if it's still swollen it might affect the function of said organ (sounds so weird).

If you didn't have any cuts or any injury that could have introduced infectious stuff then chances of a big bad complication might be low. Also the bruise gone is a good sign.

Still, get it checked out, ligaments could be damaged (at least it doesn't seem that bad) and you could need treatment to let them heal.

I could be wrong.

What kind of popping? Like the bones in the ankle are just cracking? Or some other kind of low-tone popping? That can make a difference. I pitched in softball several years and the ankle of my landing foot cracks all the time now when I walk, but it doesn't hurt and there's not any damage. I think it's the other kind of popping that would be of a concern though.

Either way you should get it checked out, it couldn't hurt to go; even if nothing is wrong it would at least give you peace of mind.

edit: If your concern is money/lack of insurance, maybe there's another way to get some advice. Do any of your friends and/or fellow teammates have parents that are nurses or doctors? If you ask their opinion, it's not like they are going to turn you down.

It was the low-tone pop, much different than the cracking. I have a good friend who's a nurse and said it could take up to a month.

time, money and insurance is what prevents me from going to the doctor.

as i stated in first post, there's very little pain when i walk, except for the occasional jolt. no foot pain except the rare times at the end of the day where it feels tired and heavy, but i'm not limping. actually, i've been told movement like walking and swimming which i've been doing helps make the ankle stronger.

my friends have told me to wait a month and see if anything changes. i'm only concerned because of the swolleness that remains and of course the 'pop' i heard.

look, i was just wondering if someone had a similar situation and if they relied on the human body to heal overtime or went to medicine, which i think society does far too often, but that's a different story.

anyway, thanks for your reply.

I don't mean to be rude, but I don't get why you created this thread asking us what you should do about your ankle if one of your responses to one of our responses consists of a reply like this, which explains why you can't go to the doctor and how you think society is way too dependent on it, anyway. Isn't that a bit counterproductive?